Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiyas

Any way to pull trouble codes without having a scanner? my Gt500 threw a check engine light at 450miles. It seems to run fine however it kinda bugs me that I got a CEL on a bone stock Shelby.

over here in thhe UK Ford dealers shy away from American cars so it will take a week or so to get a scan tool from the US.

Cheers
Drew

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hiyas

Any way to pull trouble codes without having a scanner? my Gt500 threw a check engine light at 450miles. It seems to run fine however it kinda bugs me that I got a CEL on a bone stock Shelby.

over here in thhe UK Ford dealers shy away from American cars so it will take a week or so to get a scan tool from the US.

Cheers
Drew
What octane grade are you able to use over there, Drew? I am more curious that actually thinking it may be your problem. Most everytime I have personally had a CEL, it was an oxygen sensor somewhere, but have not seen one on this car yet (9200 miles). I think you will get some help here as soon as some of these knowledge guys read this! Cheers back at you!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hiyas

Cheers
Drew
Seems to me that just about every trouble code I've every had on a stock car is either the gas cap or a vacuum line.

1. Take off your gas cap and put it back on
2. Make a visual inspection of the vacuum system
3. Disconnect your battery for 5 minutes then reconnect it. That should reset the codes. If the code comes back, then you know the problem is something else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions!

It did come on at 1/4 tank of fuel which I think is unrelated but just in case I've refilled with Shell V-Power which is 99 RON. Check gas cap at same time and it looks good.

Going to disconnect battery and reset the pcm. Dont have time for 3 drive cycles to clear it if it has fixed itself. The car has its SVA (single vehicle approval) test on tuesday and the SES light will fail it. As it stands its not technically legal to drive as it has Va temp tags that expired a few months back. Still gonna drive it and see if the SES comes back.

If i get pulled by the coppers at least I got insurance for it. Will have to play dumb on the expired temp tags though.

Cheers
Drew

·
Registered
933 Posts
Z1huggy,

Welcome to the site!

My check engine light came on the second day I had my car (November 8th). I had a total of 234 kilometers (what's that? just under 150 miles!) on it when I brought it back to the dealer. They ran a diagnostic test and got code P0403 (EGR Fault). They said that it most likely was damaged on installation. They did a temporary fix to the unit so that I could still drive it until the part could be replaced. The part arrived 3 weeks later from Ford and by then my car was already put away for the winter due to snow then covering the landscape. The dealer will replace the EGR unit in the Spring once my car comes out of hibernation. Prior to putting the car in hibernation, I did manage to add another 200kms on it with no further issues with the check engine light.

As the Prez suggested, in speaking with the Ford technicians the night before I took my car in, I too was asked to do those steps and I was advised to wait overnight, start it in the morning and see if the light was still on, it was so I took it in for a checkup.

Hopefully, your vehicle's symptoms can be fixed rather easily.

All the best!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have a closer look tomorrow when/if it stops raining!

plus disconnect the batt. maybe something got wet and threw the code......

cheers!
Drew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hiyas

Cheers
Drew
Hi Drew,

Sorry to hear about you getting a code, hopefully it's now cleared - you certainly posted in the right place, this forum is great for info and assistance.

As you might guess from my ID, I'm originally from the UK, now living in the US - I bet your GT500 on the UK roads gets a lot of attention. I had a 2001 Camaro SS when I lived there and it always drew a lot of looks & comments.

Craig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since its not had its SVA I have not been driving that much. Really only been to pick it up from shippers and take it for the light conversion.

Now it has clear middle tail lights with amber bulbs, rear fog lights, clear parking lights and the turn signal repeaters in the mirror.

When I drove it home the first time I did get quite a few stares and turned heads!

Anyways, onto the SES. How long for the pcm to relearn after a batt reset? Is it as simple as taking it for a spin and letting it do its thing?

does the GT500 use a odbII code reader or is ther a odbIII now?

cheers
Drew

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hiyas

Cheers
Drew

Drew welcome.It could be anything ,don't assume.Since it came on early my guess is a vacuum leak or a wrong component installed.There are different parts for different parts of the world.:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the car went through its UK test ok, SES has not come back on.

I had to put the door mirrors with the turn signals built in on and change the parking light/turn signal lens to the clear ones. Also new taillights with clear center lenses for rear turn signals and rear foglight to make it EU compliant.

It is quite a headturner over here. Cant wait till summer and take it down the autobahn in Germany!

Next is to get rid of the wheel hop. Lots of great info from all you guys thatt have already sorted your suspensions out.

Cheers
Andrew

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

I had to put the door mirrors with the turn signals built in on and change the parking light/turn signal lens to the clear ones. Also new taillights with clear center lenses for rear turn signals and rear foglight to make it EU compliant.

It is quite a headturner over here. Cant wait till summer and take it down the autobahn in Germany!

Next is to get rid of the wheel hop. Lots of great info from all you guys thatt have already sorted your suspensions out.

Cheers
Andrew
I'm jealous. I would love to be able to hit the autobahn.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Cheers
Andrew

Glad to hear all worked out well for you Andrew - the GT500 will definitely turn heads and, no doubt, you'll be plagued by people wanting to race you; although I do remember the joy of giving a 911 a good spanking on the M40 once :)

If you're heading for Germany then the Nurburgring is worth a visit - I'm sure you watch Top Gear, they've done several runs there in various cars - one of the most amusing was a local female driver (Sabine Schmitz) who managed to lap the circuit in a Ford transit faster than some drivers in performance cars.

Here are some links to YouTube extracts of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvc5rDc4Fc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUGdTZYOF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XVPmnomMME

TagUK

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yaa, I watch Top Gear and must say they dont let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Of course thats almost a given as they generally dont like anything American.

A few notable gaffs are the 500 hp Shelby GT racing a electric car. Course if you didnt know better you wouldnt know it wasnt a GT500. Only off by 180hp or so.

The GT500 doesnt have a limited slip diff.

The GT500 only has 447 rwhp, not 500 brake hp. Most people here think brake hp is rear wheel hp. They get a little upset when they get corrected in front of their friends who they are trying to impress with the wise words of Clarkson and Hammond.

I do plan on getting to the Nürburgring though not sure if the GT500 will lap it. Could get a lil hairy ! Have been looking into the ring taxi with a M5 that could be driven by Sabine or the other 2 or 3 drivers. Something like 170ish Euros for 33 ppl at stupid fast speeds. perhaps I'll do my speeding on the autobahn and have someone take me around the Ring.........but then.......be nice to say I drove it !

cheers
Drew

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
yaa, I watch Top Gear and must say they dont let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Of course thats almost a given as they generally dont like anything American.

A few notable gaffs are the 500 hp Shelby GT racing a electric car. Course if you didnt know better you wouldnt know it wasnt a GT500. Only off by 180hp or so.

The GT500 doesnt have a limited slip diff.

The GT500 only has 447 rwhp, not 500 brake hp. Most people here think brake hp is rear wheel hp. They get a little upset when they get corrected in front of their friends who they are trying to impress with the wise words of Clarkson and Hammond.

I do plan on getting to the Nürburgring though not sure if the GT500 will lap it. Could get a lil hairy ! Have been looking into the ring taxi with a M5 that could be driven by Sabine or the other 2 or 3 drivers. Something like 170ish Euros for 33 ppl at stupid fast speeds. perhaps I'll do my speeding on the autobahn and have someone take me around the Ring.........but then.......be nice to say I drove it !

cheers
Drew
Glad I'm not the only one who recognizes this.
That's why I can't bring myself to watch that show I figure what else are they misrepresenting when they're doing a story? If I can't trust someone I simply don't want anything to do with them. Otherwise I will just sit there and just be angry when I see it. The uninformed unsuspecting public will believe anything if it is reported on 'TV'. Don't forget it's "show business "so lying is acceptable as long as it entertains.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Don't forget it's "show business "so lying is acceptable as long as it entertains.
Are you talking about political campaigns?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as long as it gets you elected :rolleyes:

Tog Gear is always poking fun at Americans and American cars. It gets old.

What I really find amusing is hearing guys in their late 20s and 30s talking about Ferraris Lambos, and Zondas. Kinda like i did when I was 13. Of course in the US we have the luxury of being ableto afford Mustangs and Camaros.
I had a 86 Mustang GT in high school working at kmart :) not so here. its expensive. You even have to tell your insurance company if you put a stripe down your car or change wheels.

we are lucky to have a lot better car culture in the US.

Drew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts