Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a wot box, they have the instructions on how to wire up a single LED for a shift light.

i used a cheap $2 LED flashlight and industrial strength Velcro to make mine.

buy the 20 pack of pre wired 3mm or 5mm LED’s along with their holders along with the serial connector. These parts are on the wot box shift light instructions.

I wired 5 LED’s in parallel then soldered a red and black single wire to run down my A-pillar and through the under dash to my glove box where my wot box is installed.

with the cheapo flash light, you have to disassemble everything. Get the LED’s out of it along with the negative side and push button.

assemble the LED’s and their holders. I could only fit 5 in the flashlight lens. I had to drill the holes just a little bit bigger to fit the little black holders in. I used a 15/64 bit. It’s about .232” and the holders are .230” but they have the expanding tabs on them.
Solder all of your black wires together and then all your red wires. Then solder on an 18 gauge red and a black so you can run that through the dash to your wot box.
Carefully put the LED’s back into the flashlight body along with the front glass.
The bottom part where the push button is, I used my soldering iron to burn a hole through the rubber cover to run the red and black wire.

Now you can either run all the wires towards your wot box and wire them into the serial adapter or you can pre wire the adapter and put connectors on the wires which is what I did.

I used industrial strength Velcro to mount the light on my upper a-pillar trim because I didn’t want to drill any holes in the trim. The Velcro holds 10lbs so this little light is no problem. I just cut it in half and trimmed it to the length of the light.

here is how it looks

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a side view of it mounted

It’s pretty damn bright too. Here’s a pic when I tested it straight to the battery.

The amazon cost was about $25. The flashlight was laying around in the garage but it was one of those cheapo lights you find at harbor freight or on the counter at some store for like $2
The Velcro was $5 at ace hardware. Then some patience, beer and good music.
I was going to buy a nice stand alone shift light with all the buttons and whistles but figured I Have the wot box already.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Awesome!!! Thank you for writing this up for the crew here. No doubt that will be very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,060 Posts
Very cool idea. A lot of people will find it useful. Thanks for taking the time to document and share. ?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,685 Posts
Very nice Jarhead!

As the others said, thanks for taking the time to document the process to help others. ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts