Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
07 GT500. Bought new to me Dec of 2016. Mustang #6; Cobra #2. Got stuck at Wal-Mart yesterday. Car wouldn't start. Drove fine for the 5 miles it took to get there. Put the top up when I parked with the car still running. Spent about 15 minutes in the store. Tried to crank it as I was leaving to no avail. Definitely sounded like the battery was dead, but it didn't give me any warning prior. Had a buddy give me a jump and drove the 5 miles back to the house. got just about every warning light in the instrument cluster on the way home. Made sure to back it into the garage. Checked all my fuses both in the passenger kick panel and under the hood. everything was good. Figured it was the battery, alternator or both. Had the battery checked at autozone, they said it had 11 volts but wouldn't hold a charge. To be safe and not have to get yet another battery down the road, I figured I would replace the battery and alternator together to the tune of about $400 combined with core charge. And of course no one stocks it. Had to order from Ford. I figured I wouldn't take the chance of using cheap aftermarket electronics. Checked online with pretty much every mustang forum on the web to figure out the easiest way to remove the alternator, and had many different suggestions. I typed this whole message to inform those who run into alternator issues with the Shelby to save yourself about 45 minutes of busted knuckles and foul language TO LOOSEN THE BOLTS TO THE SWAY BAR AND PUSH IT ASIDE. THE ALTERNATOR WILL COME OUT SMOOTHLY... LOL>:)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,332 Posts
Re: Charging PITA

07 GT500. Bought new to me Dec of 2016. Mustang #6; Cobra #2. Got stuck at Wal-Mart yesterday. Car wouldn't start. Drove fine for the 5 miles it took to get there. Put the top up when I parked with the car still running. Spent about 15 minutes in the store. Tried to crank it as I was leaving to no avail. Definitely sounded like the battery was dead, but it didn't give me any warning prior. Had a buddy give me a jump and drove the 5 miles back to the house. got just about every warning light in the instrument cluster on the way home. Made sure to back it into the garage. Checked all my fuses both in the passenger kick panel and under the hood. everything was good. Figured it was the battery, alternator or both. Had the battery checked at autozone, they said it had 11 volts but wouldn't hold a charge. To be safe and not have to get yet another battery down the road, I figured I would replace the battery and alternator together to the tune of about $400 combined with core charge. And of course no one stocks it. Had to order from Ford. I figured I wouldn't take the chance of using cheap aftermarket electronics. Checked online with pretty much every mustang forum on the web to figure out the easiest way to remove the alternator, and had many different suggestions. I typed this whole message to inform those who run into alternator issues with the Shelby to save yourself about 45 minutes of busted knuckles and foul language TO LOOSEN THE BOLTS TO THE SWAY BAR AND PUSH IT ASIDE. THE ALTERNATOR WILL COME OUT SMOOTHLY... LOL>:)
Good tip for the members! Some future forum members will benefit!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts

About the only thing that goes wrong with Ford alternators is the internal voltage regulator or the wiring connections at the alternator
That can be checked without pulling it off
Don't know if I would have change the alternator unless it's checked first with new battery.
Stay with Ford on replacements and up the output if you have a lot of bling. Some of this after market rebuilds are worse than what's in there

·
Banned
8,945 Posts

Good info! And did you just call your Shelby a Cobra? Great! Because since it has Cobra logos all over it from front to rear, and inside, it is indeed a Shelby Cobra GT500 Automobile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts