Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From FB:

·
Registered
40 Posts
purchase a faraday pouch for your key fobs. That will prevent thiefs from stealing the key fob signal. Make sure you test them, just sit in the car with the key fob in the pouch and see if the car starts.
Don't the cars shut down once they're out of range of the key fob?

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
381 Posts
Don't the cars shut down once they're out of range of the key fob?
I don’t know of any car that does that, besides if they can spoof the ID code from the fob I’m betting it won’t matter.

Reactions: Exxit and DKnight

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
804 Posts
I know there is a key box to store your keys that you can purchase that acts as a small Faraday Cage. No signals in or out. It seems excessive, but when youre protecting a $100k investment it puts things into prospective.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t know of any car that does that, besides if they can spoof the ID code from the fob I’m betting it won’t matter.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess it would be dangerous if the car shut down while driving it.

I prefer the old fashion key start to a push button anyway. When it comes to cars, I'm really not liking the digitization of everything.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
1,196 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess it would be dangerous if the car shut down while driving it.

I prefer the old fashion key start to a push button anyway. When it comes to cars, I'm really not liking the digitization of everything.
I totally agree. Digital everything may seem to be a great idea, but it isn't always. Good old mechanical confuses would-be thieves. That is why a manual transmission acts as an anti-theft measure in and of itself (for the most part).

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,158 Posts
I totally agree. Digital everything may seem to be a great idea, but it isn't always. Good old mechanical confuses would-be thieves. That is why a manual transmission acts as an anti-theft measure in and of itself (for the most part).
This

A neighbor had his truck stolen - they replaced the steering column with one from an auto --- only thing we could come up with is they couldn't figure out the manual and thought that would fix it..... sigh

·
Registered
352 Posts
So the key fob is continuously transmitting a signal then? How are the batteries not constantly running out? I believe you have to press a button for it to transmit.

Then I just remembered my mom's Lincoln MkC will unlock if you just walk up to it holding the key fob, not pressing it. I don't get how these things work.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
381 Posts
So the key fob is continuously transmitting a signal then? How are the batteries not constantly running out? I believe you have to press a button for it to transmit.

Then I just remembered my mom's Lincoln MkC will unlock if you just walk up to it holding the key fob, not pressing it. I don't get how these things work.
I’m not up to speed on current tech but IIRC most systems don’t ping the remote until you create an action requiring it. Touch the door or trunk release and it pings the remote for the right code. The range for this is quite short and can be tested easily buy putting your remote a few feet away from the car, it won’t respond. The RFID portion is separate from the active lock/unlock/start buttons which require a physical input on your part. A thief could easily mount a rfid code capture device under your driver’s side door and wait for you to make a trip. They then come back for it, ping the code they capture and off they go with your car.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT 500 CFTP Iconic Silver
226 Posts
wheres a good place to buy these that actually work?
I bought some off ebay. I kept my spare in the center console of my previous F250 incase i lost my keys while hunting in a bag. The keypad on the foor makes it easy to get in without a key in a emergency

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
154 Posts
is it an option to have a standard key from ford vs a fob keyless? something to consider

·
Registered
2020 GT500 L2717
24 Posts
Whelp-it's back to The Club for me!

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,158 Posts
is it an option to have a standard key from ford vs a fob keyless? something to consider
Not on the 2020 (and I'm assuming it's 2020+)
There's a 'key' in the fob for manual unlocking of the drivers door and locking the glove compartment --- that's it.
Push-button start, no key cylinder

·
Premium Member
Jay 20 CFTP, 19 GT350R,13 GT500x2, 19 SHO,20 Explorer ST, 20 F-450, 67 Ranchero GT390
49 Posts
I have litigated numerous theft claims through the years. Key programming ie cut codes and rfid codes are controlled via NASTF which requires a full background check and bonding of anyone that would be involved in acquiring a code. That said dealers have access to these codes by employees without going through NASTF and can easily provide coding to a dishonest person or can code a key themselves. Every manufacturer requires a traceable inquiry of any coding requested by the parts/ service Dept. So all of that is fully traceable if another key/ fob was coded. Secondly with a current fob In the hands of a valet worker or anyone that can physically have an existing fob you can:
Step-by-Step Ford Key Fob Programming Instructions
  1. Close the car doors, then open the driver-side door. Press the UNLOCK button on the driver-side door.
  2. Next, turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times. Do this within 10 seconds, making sure the 8th time ends on RUN. When you’ve entered programming mode, the door locks will lock and unlock. (Note: If the doors don’t cycle, turn the key faster. Your car may not have keyless entry if you still can’t get the doors locks to cycle.)
  3. Press any button on the Ford remote to be programmed. Do this within 8 seconds. The door locks will cycle again to confirm the keyless entry remote is programmed and ready to use.
  4. Have a second remote key fob? Again, press any button on the remote within 8 seconds to cycle the door locks. Repeat this step for any additional key fobs.
  5. Finally, turn the ignition to OFF. The locks will again cycle to confirm programming is complete.
    Now you have a fob to come later and take the car. Likewise as stated one can capture the code when you use your Fob to remote start the car, or capture the code in close proximity of you unlocking with the FOB or when touch locking or unlocking. The FOB can’t be cloned sitting in your house static, just can’t be done. Nor can it be done sitting in ones pocket or purse unless the touch to lock unlock mode is being performed at the car.
    The trick insurance companies use in theft cases is they send you a request to provide them with both FOBS as a request to process a theft claim. If you provide both they will say you were involved with the theft. If you only provide one FOB, they will also claim you were negligent in losing the FOB or were involved with the theft. 2 years ago I was hired on a case such as this to disprove the insurance quote experts that made these claims. In that case I demonstrated how one could clone as well as dishonestly gain a code. In less than 18 seconds I cloned a fob from outside the car, entered and drove it off in front of a jury. So there are a number of ways to clone a fob. eBay as well as other sites sell items to accomplish code capture. All that said, many times cars are, Quote stolen, by the owners or involvement of the owner due to Finacial reasons or revenge on a spouse in a divorce etc etc. A good detective can certainly track the reason down as can a forensic locksmith or forensic automotive expert. If cloning is a thing in a given geographic area, insurance companies and law enforcement knows about it trust me. Anyway the notion a code can be cloned by anyone with the FOB in a static state just isn’t possible. Anyone with a vin# that’s dishonest can get a new FOB. HONEST folk have to provide proof of ownership and ID to do so. If you want to protect from all of this, simply install a toggle switch in a discrete location to interrupt the fuel system or ignition circuit which on these cars can be easily located via the anti theft circuit of the power distribution module. Locate the appropriate circuit wiring and run a loop circuit into the drivers station and install a hidden switch. Now consider, any car can be stolen by a flat bed or other tow truck means. Then later a FOB can be made. A simple GPS tracker can be installed as a means to recovery. If this is undertaken be certain to ask your insurance company for a rate adjustment. Even then a real good theft ring also typically has invested in a GPS tracker detector and will quickly remove such, therefore a good hidden area hard to access is best when installing a tracker. The cheap plug into the OBD2 port is useless for anti theft. It’s pretty good to figure out how your kids or spouse drives and where they drive.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
154 Posts
Not on the 2020 (and I'm assuming it's 2020+)
There's a 'key' in the fob for manual unlocking of the drivers door and locking the glove compartment --- that's it.
Push-button start, no key cylinder
Publication Font Material property Paper Poster

found this, so i guess a transit they can

·
Premium Member
2020 gt500 Shadow Black
205 Posts
well a little further down not in the pic, they list $75 charge for 2 keys , so not really free
So what are you suggesting?
If you get the Stop/Start option, you don’t get charged $75 for 2 keys?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts