Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Whipple modded my car and had an acceleration issue and looked at my exhaust at the X-pipes and the cats were totally melted inside and a solid ball of metal was in place of the honeycomb cat.. I had to beat it silly to get the blob out..so I left the cats empty for now and wonder if anyone else has seen this?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
There has been a few with that problem. It's worse with the OEM cats though.
Most tuners remove the "cat protection "part of the orginal Ford tune in order to achieve more constant power throughout the RPM band unfortunatly it can lead to a melted converter.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I have Whipple modded my car and had an acceleration issue and looked at my exhaust at the X-pipes and the cats were totally melted inside and a solid ball of metal was in place of the honeycomb cat.. I had to beat it silly to get the blob out..so I left the cats empty for now and wonder if anyone else has seen this?

What is your A/F ratio? I would bet you are VERY LEAN! To get hot enough to melt the OEM cat, something is not correct!

What does Whipple say about this?

If you have not had it on a good dyno with an accurate A/F meter, I would do this first...... If you keep driving it in the current tune, I would bet you will detonate enough to ruin the motor.

YMMV!

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My speed shop tells me that the increased boost and A/F at 12.2 to 12.8 the heat and pressure are enough to melt them

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
My speed shop tells me that the increased boost and A/F at 12.2 to 12.8 the heat and pressure are enough to melt them

Those a/f ratios are good for naturally aspirated cars, NOT a blown car! Way toooooo lean!

Your EGT's must be well above 1500 degrees F.!! For a LONG period of time.

I would look for a different Dyno that specializes on Forced induction, and which uses a stand alone a/f meter..... Heat is a byproduct of pressure, which is reduced by an increase of fuel / air.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I misread the dyno sheet and went back to the speed shop and went over the dyno and they reassure me that it is an A/F 11.6 to 11.8

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
What if you don't run CAT's can a tuner turn off the error code that gets flagged. Does anyone run a X pipe with no CATS? If so how do you do it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What if you don't run CAT's can a tuner turn off the error code that gets flagged. Does anyone run a X pipe with no CATS? If so how do you do it?
Yes my check engine light came on and the slow to respond oxygen sensor code showed so I am told that my tuner can adjust the computer to compensate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts