Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...so because I am negatively surprised by my tires performance, and because I am too cheap to buy new summer tires when my Goodyears have tons of tread left, I've been doing some carefully recorded studies since July, 2018 and taking extensive notes on my Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires in various temperatures - OEM equipment on GT500's since at least 2011, and possibly before. Here's what I found regarding the stock Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires, with at least 6/32" tread left on 265/40-19" fronts, and 285/35-20" rears on my 2011 GT500:

1) Forget 40 degrees F being the cold cutoff temp for this tire. If you want near full performance of these tires, the ambient temp must be at least above 70 F. At as high as 65 degrees F, even with normal driving (non-burnout) on public roads for an hour beforehand to get tires to operational temps, you will notice a degradation in performance, that becomes even more noticeable below 60 degrees F. If the ambient temp gets below 50 degrees F, the tire is flat out dangerous and grip precarious. Below 40, there is a manufacturer's note saying do not MOVE the car...let that sink in. Not "do not drive" the car...but "do not MOVE it!" The rubber on the tires actually can crack below 40 degrees F, risking a blowout (despite Goodyear denying this) and as for grip? There is about as much grip on these tires when ambient temp is under 40 degrees F as driving on rims. Any hint of gas in any gear at all and you'll spin.

2) If the ambient temp is above 70 degrees F, these tires actually perform fairly well in both wet and dry conditions. Still, at only 70 degrees F ambient you must still warm these tires up, even if the car has been sitting outside if you want the absolute maximum grip. When the ambient temp gets above 80, and when the pavement gets pretty hot, that's when these tires finally start to really shine and at 80 ambient just a little driving around is usually sufficient to warm them up. Above 90 degrees F, and we are approaching maximum performance on these tires without any serious tire warmup. And finally, at over 100 degrees F, I notice almost no difference in performance (braking and acceleration) between these tires after a burnout vs. no warmup whatsoever. Above 110, and these tires will become greasy and start to slip...they will become "too soft" for their own good and you'll start to lose traction. I have not gotten them above 120 degrees F ambient so I cannot comment on that.

3) Some may say, "well, these are track tires, you are supposed to burn out beforehand" - and to those people I say, go ahead and try it! If the temp is less than 70 degrees F ambient, even a 10 second burnout will not get these tires to stick to the road - the rubber just won't stick to roads at that temp. I feel like these tires were designed for very specific US climates in mind: Arizona, Texas, Florida, Nevada, and California mostly and the tracks that are located in those states. So if you live there, chances are these tires may work for you. But if you live in Chicago (where I live) or anywhere else north of the Maxon-Dixon line, I advise you to dump these tires and get Michelin Super Sports (if you run summer tires and winter tires) or A/S 3's (if you run one tire year round). Michelin tires generally perform waaaay better in a much larger temperature range, and that's important when deciding what rubber to run.

Hopefully this information can save fellow GT500 owners some time and money - I know I invested a lot of my own time to put these notes together in this case study. Any questions, let me know!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,896 Posts
I'm with you 100% on the Michelins, but to be fair, are these 8 year old tires you're testing on?

Reactions: Norton

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,265 Posts
I had the F1s on my 2011 in Texas. The tires are nicknamed the “Slickyears!” When the road was clean and the temp was warm to hot, they did ok, but I still had to feather the throttle to regulate the power my Whipple was putting down. As soon as the temp was not perfect and starting to drop, the tires were downright dangerous! I switched to Toyo R888s on the back with Proxies 1s up front. I now have traction!

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,672 Posts
I remember a guy on the SVTP site had a thread asking other members to sell him their stock tires. He used them @ the track & claimed he got good results out of them..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer the question: NO, these are definitely not 8 year old tires :) I bought my car used (from Carmax!) and as part of their maintenance on cars they take in to sell, they put 4 all new OEM Goodyear F1 G2 tires on (although interestingly enough, they left the aftermarket exhaust). It was even written in my paperwork that they had replaced all 4. That said, by the time I bought it, they were down to 8/32" tread, and I don't know if they come from the factory with 10/32" or more, so either someone at Carmax likely did a burnout before I bought the car, or took it on extended test drives.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Here is my opinion from my case-study from AZ.

1. At ambient of in excess of 100 these tires are crap.
II. At ambient of in excess of 110 these tires are crap.
C. At ambient of in excess of 115 these tires are crap.
IV. At ambient of in excess of 120 these tires are crap.
e. At ambient of under 100 these tires are crap.

Conclusion: These tires are crap**.

footnotes:
**Now I have to specify that any month that consists of three full moons these tires DO NOT PERFORM like crap, they are simply on the top of the scale at SHIT.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I had the F1s on my 2011 in Texas. The tires are nicknamed the “Slickyears!” When the road was clean and the temp was warm to hot, they did ok, but I still had to feather the throttle to regulate the power my Whipple was putting down. As soon as the temp was not perfect and starting to drop, the tires were downright dangerous! I switched to Toyo R888s on the back with Proxies 1s up front. I now have traction!
These tires were designed for a car that had 550 HP, not 750 HP. They are solid tires at stock HP levels when driven in the summer.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,265 Posts
These tires were designed for a car that had 550 HP, not 750 HP. They are solid tires at stock HP levels when driven in the summer.
My car had 550 hp when I got it and got to drive around for awhile on the F1s at stock performance. Like I said above, when the road was clean and the temp was warm to hot, they did ok, but there are FAR better tires that could have been put on these cars from the factory. The OEM tires were downright dangerous when the temps fell and I’m not talking winter temps... I get that these are summer tires. The tires needed to be quite warm and the road surface had to be almost perfect for the F1s to give you any sort of grip.

I believe the OEM tires would have been decent on the track since the surface is usually much better than your typical street and after a lap or two, the temps would be nice and warm. For the street, however, I give the Goodyears a “D.”

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
My car had 550 hp when I got it and got to drive around for awhile on the F1s at stock performance...…………... For the street, however, I give the Goodyears a “D.”
That would be "D" for dump... as in a good dump would be better than theses tires.

(all opinions expressed are those of the author and NOT necessarily that of the Management)

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Don’t get me wrong. I agree there are much better tires than the Goodyear’s. They are worthless below 70 degrees. I found them to be ok when at stock levels and warm out. That being said your window of decent use is so limited it does make sense to get rid of them if you have varying temps and are going to do any mods to your car.

I wouldn’t shuck them if I lived in the south and was at stock levels. I would replace them with something else when they wore out.

***The reality is this is an academic discussion at this point. That tire is not offered and has not been offered for years on a New Shelby. Any tires from 2011 should be replaced anyway at this point. Anybody looking to replace the 2011 OEM with the same tire is wasting their money. That I completely agree with.

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
I've never liked Goodyears in any way, shape, or form … all the way from a small 350Z to a large Peterbilt longnose, I've never had good experience with their products. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
I've never liked Goodyears in any way, shape, or form … all the way from a small 350Z to a large Peterbilt longnose, I've never had good experience with their products. Just my 2 cents.

Mr. Greg @blackcad55,
Please let me know where to find your "fund-me" page. I would like to return your $0.02 to you as I understand having to live down by the river in your van.
I do understand the value of money and just how much a box of 'Pop-Tarts' are, ( https://www.walmart.com/tp/pop-tarts ) and I would not want to see you struggle, I have seen first hand your kindness and generosity in sharing of your personal collection of tasty Pop-Tarts. So in the future if you do feel the desire to wantonly throw away your valued "2 cents", Please let me know as I am always willing to help a brother out.

Ken

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am confused what part of Summer Only did you not understand..????
I understand they are summer only. But if Ford put these on the car stock, they had to have known some people would be driving on these tires in cold weather. Whether that is because they couldn’t afford winter tires or whether they were just ignorant, they had to have know . When I bought the car last year, I had no idea the tires were summer only until I did some research. And then I bought winter tires.

Regardless, many people might want to know that below 70 ambient temp, you will have almost zero traction.

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
But if Ford put these on the car stock, they had to have known some people would be driving on these tires in cold weather. Whether that is because they couldn’t afford winter tires or whether they were just ignorant, they had to have know .
Ford KNEW a lot of things were "insufficient" about these cars …. it's a major "money-making corporation" (like MANY out there)… they don't really care …. and it's the reason that aftermarket companies do so well. It's the way of the world and once you know this, you have the knowledge to make better decisions in the future. (hopefully). :giggle:

·
Premium Member
8,253 Posts
Mr. Greg @blackcad55,
Please let me know where to find your "fund-me" page. I would like to return your $0.02 to you as I understand having to live down by the river in your van.
I do understand the value of money and just how much a box of 'Pop-Tarts' are, ( https://www.walmart.com/tp/pop-tarts ) and I would not want to see you struggle, I have seen first hand your kindness and generosity in sharing of your personal collection of tasty Pop-Tarts. So in the future if you do feel the desire to wantonly throw away your valued "2 cents", Please let me know as I am always willing to help a brother out.

Ken
Thank you for that, Ken, but since the water level has risen so much down here by the river, I now occupy prime "riverfront property" and have been able to rent out part of my van temporarily for some needed income to replenish my Pop-Tart inventory. I'm always looking for income opportunities, so with the increased availability of aluminum cans coming down the river, I have recovered most of my two cent investment and could possibly be looking at a windfall should some commercial aluminum roofing dislodge upstream and come my way. Thanks again for the thoughts, it means a lot to me. -Greg

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,716 Posts
The G2s might be a good tire on a road course, but on the street they leave a lot to be desired. I replaced mine before they wore out and I ended up with a tire that was both quiet and didn't tramline like the Goodyears. After the first year, I don't think the Super Sports were as effective in the traction department, and it may have been because I upped the ante under the hood, but I doubt it. I understand getting your money's worth out of something, but if you feel uncomfortable with the tires, I wouldn't let it hold me back. However, don't go thinking replacements will be worlds better when temps subside.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,925 Posts
I understand they are summer only. But if Ford put these on the car stock, they had to have known some people would be driving on these tires in cold weather. Whether that is because they couldn’t afford winter tires or whether they were just ignorant, they had to have know . When I bought the car last year, I had no idea the tires were summer only until I did some research. And then I bought winter tires.

Regardless, many people might want to know that below 70 ambient temp, you will have almost zero traction.
I'm sure there was a financial advantage offered to Ford by Goodyear, which drove the decision to use them. They are definitely dangerous in cool temps. I replaced them right after I bought my 2007, 2011, and 2013. I replaced them with all season tires. Never looked back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ford KNEW a lot of things were "insufficient" about these cars …. it's a major "money-making corporation" (like MANY out there)… they don't really care …. and it's the reason that aftermarket companies do so well. It's the way of the world and once you know this, you have the knowledge to make better decisions in the future. (hopefully). :giggle:
Oh please don't tell me you believe the "all corporations are evil" crap that people throw around these days. All corporations are NOT evil and are NOT out to "screw the common person over." Corporations are made of people, too, and are only as good or as evil as those running them. Sure, there are some "evil" companies out there to be sure. But to allege Ford "doesn't care" and stuff just based upon their tire choice on one car is pure garbage - unless of course you have information that I don't? If so, please present it, but if not, kindly refrain from bashing Ford with nothing but heresay.

American corporations and capitalism are a giant part of what makes America great - and combined with good people, this is the main reason America is so successful. Without the businesses we have, we wouldn't have the economy we have today, and wouldn't have anywhere near the wealth, freedoms, or luxuries that all the unappreciative a-holes take for granted. You likely wouldn't have the funds to buy your own car if it weren't for these "evil corporations" - so please stop bashing our great companies. And I would argue American corporations and capitalism have done more good for the planet and have pulled more people out of poverty than any other system or government in existence, so it would be nice if you were at least a little grateful.

That said, the tires were likely chosen by Ford specifically for their track performance to get the best stats possible for the car in 2011 with the new engine. Little weight was given to the day-to-day driving, as they likely assumed those with the means to purchase a GT500 would have the brains to not drive on the street on those tires. I doubt Ford simply "didn't care" or wanted someone to hurt themselves.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts