Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Carlisle PA Ford Nationals

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Goose17 
#1 ·
Anyone going, worth checking out? I’m not to far away for work and have my car here, may go if worthwhile.

#4 ·
Eric,

Worth checking out? Answer: HELL YES! This is the biggest all Ford show in the country. 85 acres of ONLY Blue Oval. I went last year for the first time in about 8-9 years, and it was counted as the biggest one to date. If you have your car, I'd seriously say pay to put in on the show field. It beats parking in someone's yard outside the fairgrounds. You'll pay between $10-20 dollars a day to park. I can tell you a nice place if you want. Nice family and short walk to the gate. That said I've never had a problem doing that. There's a ton of things going on this year. New announcements from Ford, Shelby American, RTR, and I think Saleen. Their displays alone are worth it. Rare blue oval cars in the buildings. It's just awesome.

If you want to fill out the application to be in the parade downtown. They shut the town down and the people of Carlisle line the streets cheering you on. You roll into town 3-4 wide and then park in the street. It's like another show in itself!

I'll be there in my Velocity Blue 21 and my wife will have her 55 Mercury.

#17 ·
Eric,

Worth checking out? Answer: HELL YES! This is the biggest all Ford show in the country. 85 acres of ONLY Blue Oval. I went last year for the first time in about 8-9 years, and it was counted as the biggest one to date. If you have your car, I'd seriously say pay to put in on the show field. It beats parking in someone's yard outside the fairgrounds. You'll pay between $10-20 dollars a day to park. I can tell you a nice place if you want. Nice family and short walk to the gate. That said I've never had a problem doing that. There's a ton of things going on this year. New announcements from Ford, Shelby American, RTR, and I think Saleen. Their displays alone are worth it. Rare blue oval cars in the buildings. It's just awesome.

If you want to fill out the application to be in the parade downtown. They shut the town down and the people of Carlisle line the streets cheering you on. You roll into town 3-4 wide and then park in the street. It's like another show in itself!

I'll be there in my Velocity Blue 21 and my wife will have her 55 Mercury.
I thought the parade was not as good as in the past. I enjoyed the 4 wide and parking on the main street instead of angle parking on several streets. The parade, has been to me, one of the best things about Carlisle. I have a 2007 GT500 and was lucky enough to win 1st place in the modified class. Not bad for an 83,000 mile car that was driven from South Carolina.

Leon Stallings
Prosperity,SC

#7 ·
I just looked it up and was able to register at this link which is the official link. I know the parade is limited to a certain number of cars but it says it’s still an option. And they try to gat as many as they can on the show field. It’s not packed or chaotic. Always well organized in my opinion.

You can leave once you are in there. Most people get there early and stay but it is not uncommon to see cars leave. When I had my 96 there I asked and it was no big deal. You just have to part the seas of people to get to the gate. But most are decent and the lanes are pretty wide. Like I said it’s 85 acres.

Link: Carlisle Ford Nationals Showfield

#15 ·
Here's my rundown and experience on Ford Nationals. It's just my opinion in some points. This was my second year in a row. Last year I literally went to look at the colors of the Shelbys GT350 & 500 in the sunlight. I had gone many times in years past (10 years prior + ). It's getting to be a joke to call it the "Mustang Nationals". But what can you do when Fords most dominate vehicle is the Mustang. There is a street rod show less than an hour away the same weekend that some think takes the vintage cars away. The new Broncos are becoming very big. I saw the new Dark Horse and laid hands on it. I will admit it is not too bad. Definitely sits nicer than the GT. RTR’s twist on the S650 body was really nice as well.

WEDNESDAY - I just got back from Carlisle Ford Nationals. I live about 4.5hrs away and came down on Wednesday to hang out with a friend. What an awesome drive down I had. mostly all highway and I will admit I pressed the limit on speed most the way and even a few triple digit times along the way. When I got there, Fords were already cruising the streets. My friend and I drove into the fairgrounds ….in his 17 Vette…..and took a look around Wednesday evening and many vendors were setting up in the swap area. Ford had most their display up and Dark Horse was under the cover of an inside out GT500 car cover.

THURSDAY - Checked into my hotel at 1 and the hotel lot was filling up with a variety of Fords. People like to sit in lawn chairs in the hotel lawn and watch the variety of cars drive by. Drove over the show and most vendors were set up and just kind of hanging out as the crowd was small but present. I got to pose my car with the Shelby American & Ford Performance trailers. Walked around and got my steps in. Then cruised downtown as were many others. Lot of thumbs up and revving engines at one another.

FRIDAY show time! Rolled in around 8am and the show field participants trickled in. By noon the place was getting busy with show field cars and attendees. I parked my car in front of the Shelby American trailer again. There was only one other S550 Velocity Blue GT500 there for the show. The only obvious difference was they had a blue roof and nice bronze-ish colored wheels by Signature. The car also had black stripes like mine. My wife parked her 55 Mercury Monterey which is a true all original "barn find". She drove over 245 miles and was the only pre-1963 Mercury at the show. She did manage to take 2nd place in her category. There was a little drama as to which category she belonged in but that got sorted out.

SATURDAY - was a nut house. It took me almost 2 hours to get to the show field gate at about 9. There weren't many spots left for 2022-2023 GT500 STOCK class. Voting takes place on the cars registered in the show. You only vote on your section. I didn't go to win any awards but it's kind of stacked against you when you are solo. There are several clubs with a large number of members. So, you can see how that goes. I will say another thing that kinda sucks is around noon - 2 vendors are starting to pack up. Carlisle events needs to find a way of discouraging that. There was no bad weather. Just HOT 90+ degree temps. All three days I walked over 20,000 step’s according to my Fitbit.

*AUTOCROSS RIDES: I rode on the track in a GT350 driven by a 16 year old girl. Let me tell you she knew what she was doing. The. I rode in a 05 body style Mustang with a young man who said he’s been racing since he was 13.

**SATURDAY NIGHT PARADE - 200 cars lined up around 5-6 and then drove into town at 7. The whole town lines the streets and welcomes the cars to town. No burnouts allowed but plenty of revving engines, cheers and laughing. Once we get parked it’s like another car show. Downtown Carlisle shops and restaurants are open and it’s just plain fun. Streets are shutdown so your cars are safe.

SUNDAY - it's pretty slow. Mostly people taking things down and the award winners waiting to line up to drive across the stage area. I got to ride with my wife in her 55 Merc to collect her award and be photographed, which was very cool. At about 2 we left and went downtown to hit some antique shops.

MONDAY - Drove home. The wife and I went our own way. I took mostly all good State maintained back roads that went through the PA mountains. Some nice hill climbs and decent, 10% grades with hairpin turns. Of course, I got caught in traffic, so I went back a couple times and rode the ride again. Windows down and Track Pipes open!!! VERY fun time!

Can’t wait for Ford Nationals 2024!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.