Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,147 Posts
I don't have many pictures of the trailer, but I'll post a few of the ones I have. Most are a little older. Trailer is a Royal Cargo Trailer that's just over 28' long and 8'6" wide. I like the extra storage in the V-nose and also behind the car, which came in really handy when moving from AK to ID. It's also come in handy to move household goods for friends and most recently my parents. GVWR is 9,990 and max cargo is 5,351, but I've pushed the total weight to 11,000lbs without a problem. I'm a stickler for making sure the weight is distributed correctly and the trailer is level. Air bags on my 2014 F350 6.7L diesel really helps keeping both the trailer and truck level. Handles well. I also replaced all the unreliable chinese tires with better ones that also have a higher load rating for peace of mind.

View attachment 261369 View attachment 261370 View attachment 261371 View attachment 261372 View attachment 261373 View attachment 261374 View attachment 261375
Glad to notice you, like me, refuse to capitalize the word, chinese! Good for you, Michael!

· Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
1,102 Posts
Having one of these would freak me out, especially with the way other people drive, always cutting me off, slamming on their brakes, etc.

· Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
3,012 Posts
insert picture of rented U-haul trailer
That's what I used to take the Mustang to Indy for the 40th, and will use it again in July for the MCA show. And that's why I have an Explorer and not an Escape, cuz the Escape wouldn't be able to tow it.

· Registered
'22 Code Orange
161 Posts
Trailers and trucks are the one constant even as the hobby cars change over the years.
Ours is a basic haulmark 24' from 2015. Got the heavier tube main rails, 10k axles and interior finished. It's seen a few cars and trucks, and has just worked great. It was stored in the shop for a few years which I'm sure helped its water sealing. I winch the cars in always, but will climb in and drive them out usually. Always carry 2 spares, and have been using goodyear endurance tires for the last few seasons.

· Registered
2021 GT500
1,405 Posts
Tow rig is my 2022 F250 Platinum Tremor, trailer is my Futura SuperSport. Was getting a little sag thanks to the Carli suspension, has been remedied by adding airbags 👍🏼
My F250 squatted more them I liked as well, I am hoping the Deaver spring pack I installed helps with that. If not air bags will be on the list.

· Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
5,976 Posts
FWIW, Even though I have an F350, which has more leaf springs in the back, I still use my air bags often. I have 3 different trailers that all have different tongue weights. The car hauler has a weight distribution hitch, but bags are still needed. So I have different air settings for each to get things level, plus, when I am not towing I drop them down to 5psi.

· Registered
2022 GT500 CFTP Oxford white with painted Blue Kona stripes
99 Posts
For the fellow forum members who don't have an escape hatch on trailer, how much room do you have to exit the vehicle? How much room to open door? etc..... In market for trailer and wonder if it is worth the extra cost to get one with escape hatch.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
53,942 Posts
For the fellow forum members who don't have an escape hatch on trailer, how much room do you have to exit the vehicle? How much room to open door? etc..... In market for trailer and wonder if it is worth the extra cost to get one with escape hatch.
I rented a trailer without an escape door before buying mine with an escaped door. This was an absolute must option. I use it all the time.

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT 500 2022 Shelby GT 500 Heritage Edition 1969 Shelby GT 500
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did not get it on mine, but if you are hauling a GT 500 it would be a must have. I can get in and out with the car in the trailer but barely. I have to have the window down and it is still very tight. I do have carpet up high enough so the door does not hit the metal and I also lay a towel over the door for added protection.

· Premium Member
5,976 Posts
No escape door......Dukes of Hazard in and out, or you play mole and go in/out through the trunk. Also, if the car is on the floor, vice elevated on ramps like mine for using the escape door, you also must consider that you'll fight with the wheel tubs (black in my picture below), which cuts down on the door swing even more! Most trailers have these wheel tubs inside the trailer. Those which don't either have the wheels farther out, which adds to your trailer width, or the trailer sits much higher, which would make loading our low cars increasingly difficult because of the steeper loading ramp.

Wood Floor Flooring Building Gas

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
53,942 Posts
I would not buy a trailer without the door! It makes loading/unloading a whole different experience!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tree Asphalt
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 HE GT500 CFTP N2382
329 Posts
The tow vehicle breaks the majority of the wind unless the trailer is significantly taller than the tow vehicle, and if so a slope is better than a V.
My understanding as well.

After half a lifetime of towing trailers for work and play, my experiences agree, basically no difference in fuel economy or ease of pulling either way. V nose is nice for sleds and ATVs to drive out, and for looks. I personally think the V is a touch more prone to wind induced sway for some reason.
100% agree.... been towing snowmobile trailers of all types for years. My current sloped trailer pulls better than a long V nose, especially on slippery, snow-covered roads with high winds behing my 1/2 ton gasser.

· Premium Member
2022 HE CFTP 1991 GTC
352 Posts
Yes! It is worth it.

· Premium Member
2022 HE CFTP 1991 GTC
352 Posts
2008 24’ Haulmark with my 2010 Dodge diesel. Hooked and ready to roll, moving from CT to AZ. Made that trip about four times and still not done. Great trailer, great truck. My life got a lot easier when I installed a winch, but I’ll never buy another trailer without side access to the car.

Attachments

· Registered
2021 GT500
1,405 Posts
No escape door......Dukes of Hazard in and out, or you play mole and go in/out through the trunk. Also, if the car is on the floor, vice elevated on ramps like mine for using the escape door, you also must consider that you'll fight with the wheel tubs (black in my picture below), which cuts down on the door swing even more! Most trailers have these wheel tubs inside the trailer. Those which don't either have the wheels farther out, which adds to your trailer width, or the trailer sits much higher, which would make loading our low cars increasingly difficult because of the steeper loading ramp.
This is why I went with the full sized escape door, the trailer fender lifts up and out of the way allowing me to fully open the car door.

· Premium Member
5,976 Posts
This is why I went with the full sized escape door, the trailer fender lifts up and out of the way allowing me to fully open the car door.
I saw that, and I've never seen a trailer like yours before.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts