Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
That is purdy Rick!

How does the F150 do pulling it with the flat front?

Back when I was looking for a trailer, I hadn’t gotten into hitting the track yet. I was expecting to use the trailer just a couple times a year to go to a car show or something. The criteria I had was:

20” enclosed (pulling with F150 and didn’t want longer because of this)
V-nose to help cut the wind for my F150
Beaver tail (lowers the rear for easier entry)
Driver’s side escape door (an absolute MUST)
Inexpensive (didn’t want a bunch of $ tied up in something I rarely used)

Found one a year old that was traded in for a camper that checked all the boxes. I added internal risers/ramps to make the low Mustangs compatible with the escape door and also eTrack. The trailer has worked like a champ! In the near future, I plan to get an F350 and then I’ll be looking for a double gooseneck trailer.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Blue Gas Event Electric blue Logo
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2022 GT500 CFTP Oxford white with painted Blue Kona stripes
117 Posts
I have seen Intech trailer at the Carroll Shelby Centennial. That person towed his Raptor from Texas in a 28’ foot trailer. Nice trailers. Intech started from former ATC employees from what I was told. Looking at Featherlite, ATC, or Intech…24’. Like that awning too

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: AZ21GT500

· Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
5,991 Posts
I don't have many pictures of the trailer, but I'll post a few of the ones I have. Most are a little older. Trailer is a Royal Cargo Trailer that's just over 28' long and 8'6" wide. I like the extra storage in the V-nose and also behind the car, which came in really handy when moving from AK to ID. It's also come in handy to move household goods for friends and most recently my parents. GVWR is 9,990 and max cargo is 5,351, but I've pushed the total weight to 11,000lbs without a problem. I'm a stickler for making sure the weight is distributed correctly and the trailer is level. Air bags on my 2014 F350 6.7L diesel really helps keeping both the trailer and truck level. Handles well. I also replaced all the unreliable chinese tires with better ones that also have a higher load rating for peace of mind.

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Composite material Gas Tints and shades Flooring
Wood Floor Flooring Building Gas
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive parking light

· Registered
2021 GT500
1,481 Posts

· Registered
2021 GT500
1,481 Posts
I don't have many pictures of the trailer, but I'll post a few of the ones I have. Most are a little older. Trailer is a Royal Cargo Trailer that's just over 28' long and 8'6" wide. I like the extra storage in the V-nose and also behind the car, which came in really handy when moving from AK to ID. It's also come in handy to move household goods for friends and most recently my parents. GVWR is 9,990 and max cargo is 5,351, but I've pushed the total weight to 11,000lbs without a problem. I'm a stickler for making sure the weight is distributed correctly and the trailer is level. Air bags on my 2014 F350 6.7L diesel really helps keeping both the trailer and truck level. Handles well. I also replaced all the unreliable chinese tires with better ones that also have a higher load rating for peace of mind.

View attachment 261369 View attachment 261370 View attachment 261371 View attachment 261372 View attachment 261373 View attachment 261374 View attachment 261375
Great advice with the tires!

Ditching the Chineseium tires are usually D rated and are the first thing I change after buying a trailer. They will fail early, and tow like crap compared to a better E rated trailer tire.

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT 500 2022 Shelby GT 500 Heritage Edition 1969 Shelby GT 500
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
InTech was started by ex ATC employees. InTech and ATC are similar in cost. I paid $32,000 for mine, but I pretty much have every option except escape door and winch. You cannot be a big guy at all and get out of a 2022 Shelby inside the trailer. Boy they have bigger hips the the 69-70 Boss and Shelby’s.

· Registered
'22 GT500 - Poor Man's Edition
17 Posts
You all have some nice trailers! 👍

2015 - 30' RC enclosed tag.
(bought used, like nearly everything we own, besides our GT500)
Coined rubber flooring, Storage cabinets, work bench, toolbox, winch, & compressed air w/outside hose connects.
Exterior lighting, split side entry door.
Fuel jug/oil/& various - storage racks.
(Want a tire rack, but can live w/o one)
3 axle - for use of Motor Hm as tow rig that may not handle tongue wt# of a 30' well.

Sky Wheel Cloud Tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Building Vehicle Interior design

Interior design Building Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle

Asphalt Shade Road surface Flooring Grass

(Incorrect drop hitch for road travel, in photo below)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Definitely more room in a flat nose trailer, but I prefer the v-nose for the better aero. Helps reduce the load a little on the tow vehicle. Looking at @Rufus trailer inside reminds me that I need to add some interior lighting to mine. Haven't really needed it much, but it's sure nice when you do need it!

· Registered
2022 Base Heritage Edition, Tech and Handling Packages
433 Posts
I always thought a V nose would pull easier due to aerodynamics. If you dig into it, there is plenty of research regarding it, it makes almost no difference. The tow vehicle breaks the majority of the wind unless the trailer is significantly taller than the tow vehicle, and if so a slope is better than a V. After half a lifetime of towing trailers for work and play, my experiences agree, basically no difference in fuel economy or ease of pulling either way. V nose is nice for sleds and ATVs to drive out, and for looks. I personally think the V is a touch more prone to wind induced sway for some reason. The vast majority of the drag on an enclosed trailer is vacuum caused by the flat back door, and said drag becomes exponential over 55-60mph if I remember the data correctly. The bigger the trailer, (more sq footage on the rear) the more drag it creates. Taller sides are more prone to wind push especially with a half ton tow vehicle. Tall trailers are nice for walking and working in but tow a lot harder.

· Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Great advice with the tires!

Ditching the Chineseium tires are usually D rated and are the first thing I change after buying a trailer. They will fail early, and tow like crap compared to a better E rated trailer tire.
Thanks. I even carried two spares on that long trip from Kodiak to Nampa. Did over 3k miles, and the first half had terrible road conditions due to winter frost heave damage. Turned out the upgraded tires did/have-done great, and I've never needed the spares. I still carry them in the trailer though!

I got Maxxis tires, which are made in Thailand and have a good rep. E rated to 2830lbs @80psi of pressure. Some will go with LT tires, and I've not read about anyone getting in trouble doing that even though some trailering writeups say you should only stay with tires designed for trailers. I have not researched the difference between LT and trailer tires, but my 17' Baja Jayco TT came with LT tires. Also, some might miss that when you increase your tire's load rating and pressure, you also have to check your rim's rating. I did not change rims, but I should have to match the max tire rating. I did run 70 or 75lbs of pressure whereas the stock tires that came with the trailer were 65psi D rated tires. Game me that extra margin of safety under normal load conditions, and I wasn't sweating bullets when I overloaded my trailer for that one trip.

· Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I always thought a V nose would pull easier due to aerodynamics. If you dig into it, there is plenty of research regarding it, it makes almost no difference. The tow vehicle breaks the majority of the wind unless the trailer is significantly taller than the tow vehicle, and if so a slope is better than a V. After half a lifetime of towing trailers for work and play, my experiences agree, basically no difference in fuel economy or ease of pulling either way. V nose is nice for sleds and ATVs to drive out, and for looks. I personally think the V is a touch more prone to wind induced sway for some reason. The vast majority of the drag on an enclosed trailer is vacuum caused by the flat back door, and said drag becomes exponential over 55-60mph if I remember the data correctly. The bigger the trailer, (more sq footage on the rear) the more drag it creates. Taller sides are more prone to wind push especially with a half ton tow vehicle. Tall trailers are nice for walking and working in but tow a lot harder.
Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts