Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a car show today with my dad at his church. I'm typing this from his house in Cincinnati, and I don't have the pics downloaded yet, and I'm going to Mexico tomorrow for a week...so it will be awhile.

However, wanted to tell you all a story.

A guy walked up to me and said (at the time he started speaking he didn't know I owned a Mustang) "can you believe the cars they allow in here". I said "what do you mean?" He said "most of these cars are cheap and dirty". I said I don't have an issue with it, some of them are project cars, you have to start somewhere. I asked him which car was his, and he pointed to an '80s vintage Rolls Royce. :zzz:

Then he said, and I quote... "It's the most respected car in the world". :ack:

I replied politely "well maybe to some people" (as I began losing interest in him and started polishing my Mustang).

To which he replied "No, not to some people...to EVERYONE".:ack:

(you can see where this is headed)

So I said "Well, it's certainly not the most respected car to ME."

He said "Ha, they turn out one of those (pointing at my Mustang) every 20 seconds...but they only make 5 of these (pointing to his Rolls) a day". :boohoo:

I told him he's entitled to his opinion, but he shouldn't say EVERYBODY respects the Rolls...because I don't. Then he said...and I quote....
"Well that car (pointing to my Mustang again) is a piece of sh*t. ":ack:

I just started laughing hysterically at that time and told him to go get some Grey Poupon. :roller:

Unbelievable.

Pics later.

Dave out

·
Registered
109 Posts
wonder why he even goes to car shows. it must just drive him insane to be that close to so many "common folk". love the grey poupon line.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dave,
Sounds like you were a lot more civilized than i would have been.:fight:
I guess I need a therapist..........

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went to a car show today with my dad at his church. I'm typing this from his house in Cincinnati, and I don't have the pics downloaded yet, and I'm going to Mexico tomorrow for a week...so it will be awhile.

However, wanted to tell you all a story.

A guy walked up to me and said (at the time he started speaking he didn't know I owned a Mustang) "can you believe the cars they allow in here". I said "what do you mean?" He said "most of these cars are cheap and dirty". I said I don't have an issue with it, some of them are project cars, you have to start somewhere. I asked him which car was his, and he pointed to an '80s vintage Rolls Royce. :zzz:

Then he said, and I quote... "It's the most respected car in the world". :ack:

I replied politely "well maybe to some people" (as I began losing interest in him and started polishing my Mustang).

To which he replied "No, not to some people...to EVERYONE".:ack:

(you can see where this is headed)

So I said "Well, it's certainly not the most respected car to ME."

He said "Ha, they turn out one of those (pointing at my Mustang) every 20 seconds...but they only make 5 of these (pointing to his Rolls) a day". :boohoo:

I told him he's entitled to his opinion, but he shouldn't say EVERYBODY respects the Rolls...because I don't. Then he said...and I quote....
"Well that car (pointing to my Mustang again) is a piece of sh*t. ":ack:

I just started laughing hysterically at that time and told him to go get some Grey Poupon. :roller:

Unbelievable.

Pics later.

Dave out
Dave - I would have pointed out that I've heard from a very reliable source that a large percentage of those people that believe the Rolls Royce is the most respected car in the world are also into rather "large women".:boohoo:

I'll save everyone the grief of posting any of those photos tonight.

HSURB

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What a shame.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't know about the newer ones last 15 years or so but before that, they were the worst oil leaking garbage on the road!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I don't know about the newer ones last 15 years or so but before that, they were the worst oil leaking garbage on the road!

Mustang or Rolls?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,085 Posts
Dave - I would have pointed out that I've heard from a very reliable source that a large percentage of those people that believe the Rolls Royce is the most respected car in the world are also into rather "large women".:boohoo:

I'll save everyone the grief of posting any of those photos tonight.

HSURB
David,
Very interesting. I think we're being a little thin skinned about our cars. There is no doubt that the Rolls is a quality built car. They didn't get their reputation by accident. I recently saw the bodies being built at the BMW factory in Germany before being shipped to England for completion. Very impressive craftsmanship. There are many cars that I would buy if the finances would allow; I.E. the BMW M-3. That said, I love my GT500 and have had Mustangs in my garage for over 40yrs.! It is definitely a wonderful car for the price and even if I hit the lottery, I'd still keep and drive the Shelby. In reference to your encounter, this guy is not a true "car guy". If he were, he wouldn't come off as a self-centered ass. True car affectionato's love and appreciate all types of cars for their respective strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure his comments would have embarrassed the majority of Rolls owners who show their car. Thankfully, he is surely the exception rather than the rule and your responses to him demonstrated your maturity and his lack of class. Good for you!! You are a Car Guy for sure!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dave that was unbelievable I have never encountered that ever.
You sure was nice to him. I sure hope he went back and count his teeth and be glad they are all still there.
Sometimes people say stuff and it totally catches you by surprise and you just don't know what to say.
Art

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've never encountered anything like that either. That's just crazy. I'm a die hard Ford guy, but I respect a good Mopar or Chevy as well because they like their cars as much as I like mine.

Now the only thing that really gets me is when a SBC is put into an old Ford hot rod! :)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Dave,mean people suck.:ack: Well I bet you won't be getting a Christmas card from him.Lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like 03reptile said, that guy was not a true car guy. Look at Jay Leno, he has all sort of cars and he appreciates them for what they are; they range from electric to hydrogen to steam to gas powered engines and both motorcycles and cars. And while Leno is an extreme example he has everything from several Duesenbergs to a Ford Fiesta and of course Shelby Mustangs.... That guy was just a dumb a** with too much money :simmadown:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thats sad, there are always a few cars at every show that I have no interest in but would never put down one of these. A lot of these people work very hard and are limited with funding and that's the best they can present. Weather you like it or not it doesn't hurt to compliment the owner.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I do have a pic of his car....but I'm still in Mexico.

Today I had beet soup and rice water for lunch. I think I'll lose 3 more pounds this week. :bandit:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I do have a pic of his car....but I'm still in Mexico.

Today I had beet soup and rice water for lunch. I think I'll lose 3 more pounds this week. :bandit:
Before or after Montezuma's revenge?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could've asked him what year it was and then said, "Wassa matta, can't afford a new one?" No doubt, that would've chapped his elegant a$$.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would never be critical of someones car. It may not be to my taste but he may think its the greates car in the world. Some of the show cars with 42 tv screens are pretty off the way but you have to respect the engineering involved and power requirements. If we all had the same taste in cars shows would get pretty boring.

Lloyd

1 - 20 of 27 Posts