Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 that has been upgraded to 800 horsepower and I'm on my third clutch already. My first two clutches Ford put in for me and they both lasted a little over a thousand miles they were the centerforce dual clutch. Now I have somebody else putting it in called Competition transmission. I got a different clutch and now that shop is just waiting cuz I need a new flywheel cuz the one in it is for the centerforce clutch. The technician there was telling me that I have to do something with the hydraulic system for the clutch, it's not putting enough pressure because of some kind of relief valve or something to make it smoother and so it's not putting enough pressure on it for the extra horsepower. It kind of makes sense to me but I don't know exactly what to do can I eliminate that valve or whatever it is or do I need to change the hydraulic pump or something? If anybody knows anything about this or had the same problem please let me know

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 that has been upgraded to 800 horsepower and I'm on my third clutch already. My first two clutches Ford put in for me and they both lasted a little over a thousand miles they were the centerforce dual clutch. Now I have somebody else putting it in called Competition transmission. I got a different clutch and now that shop is just waiting cuz I need a new flywheel cuz the one in it is for the centerforce clutch. The technician there was telling me that I have to do something with the hydraulic system for the clutch, it's not putting enough pressure because of some kind of relief valve or something to make it smoother and so it's not putting enough pressure on it for the extra horsepower. It kind of makes sense to me but I don't know exactly what to do can I eliminate that valve or whatever it is or do I need to change the hydraulic pump or something? If anybody knows anything about this or had the same problem please let me know
Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your recurring clutch issues. I’ll let someone else answer the hydraulic question that will have a better handle on it.

In the meantime, just check your “clutch technique...” make sure you warm up the car/clutch before hammering on it. A cold clutch is more prone to slipping. Also, don’t rest your foot on the clutch pedal when driving.

On a different note, if you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
For one, the hydraulic system for the clutch has nothing to do with the pressure on the clutch. There is no relief valve. If thats the technicians actual statement, then you should be looking for another shop. The center force dyad can take extreme abuse. Like anything else it has to be set up properly. I recommend this clutch for street use and the Macleod RXT for drag racing. I have a write up on the dyad clutch install on this forum as it is my go to clutch after installing several brands of clutches on GT500s. You have to have the 07 to 09 slave/throwout with the Centerforce dyad clutch. I would suspect that previous clutches were not set up properly. If they installed the later hydraulic throwout bearing, it could cause the failure you described. A good clutch system will come with the flywheel as a package.

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
Kurtdog’s thread. . .

Reactions: Goose17

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,936 Posts
For one, the hydraulic system for the clutch has nothing to do with the pressure on the clutch. There is no relief valve. If thats the technicians actual statement, then you should be looking for another shop. The center force dyad can take extreme abuse. Like anything else it has to be set up properly. I recommend this clutch for street use and the Macleod RXT for drag racing. I have a write up on the dyad clutch install on this forum as it is my go to clutch after installing several brands of clutches on GT500s. You have to have the 07 to 09 slave/throwout with the Centerforce dyad clutch. I would suspect that previous clutches were not set up properly. If they installed the later hydraulic throwout bearing, it could cause the failure you described. A good clutch system will come with the flywheel as a package.
Hey Kurt! Good to see ya back on the forum! Say Hi to Patty for us!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for your advice and I did get the Macleod clutch. That's one I'm waiting for them to put in there just waiting on the flywheel. I just don't know what it is that's wrong why they're not Lansing Ford put my first two in. Maybe I didn't break it in good enough maybe I didn't wait 500 miles would it still go out because I didn't do that? Thank you for your response and I don't know what he's talking about either but that's what he saying he think it is

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Will do. Good to hear from you. Hopefully we can all get together soon. I'm completely sick of this Covid bullshit. Been teaching students in person at the College which ended today, after thanksgiving we are going to online learning till the end of the year. We knew this was coming and crammed as much hands on work into them as we could. We still managed to turn out some good grads this year.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice and I did get the Macleod clutch. That's one I'm waiting for them to put in there just waiting on the flywheel. I just don't know what it is that's wrong why they're not Lansing Ford put my first two in. Maybe I didn't break it in good enough maybe I didn't wait 500 miles would it still go out because I didn't do that? Thank you for your response and I don't know what he's talking about either but that's what he saying he think it is
Be easy on it for the first 500 miles. The McLeod clutch should work well for you. Once you get a proper clutch install, you will probably be replacing rear differentials. I've replaced my clutch once, I'm on rear diff #5. So far my latest diff rebuild is holding up with drag radials but it cost me some coins to get it there.

·
Registered
2009 gt500 vmp gen3, 2020 gt500 magnetic, 1970 mach1 408 stroked, 1997 cobra awesome
130 Posts
Maybe 🤔 he was trying to get out that it may be your hydraulic throw out bearing not dealing all the way causing your clutch to basically be constantly slipping. I’m not saying that’s what he was saying or is your situation. However the throw out bearing can indeed have air become petruded contacting the fingers with pressure therefore making the clutch somewhat constantly slip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts