Discussion Starter #1
This sucks badly! From FB:

240A2A93-DAE5-4EB9-831D-C5E56912D295.jpeg
BCA454C3-5C59-48E4-BF34-8E9A2E662734.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 GT500
425 Posts
Oh, no! That truly sucks for that person.
That would suck even if they had owned the car for 2 YEARS instead of just days.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Probably won't be getting a new car out of this.

He will be forced to fix it and live with the results. I know there is diminished value but I think that is harder than hell to get resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
The owner needs to get diminished value on this car plus the repair and get it fixed right

That sucks.

My biggest fear on my car is the same esp now with my massive front brembos. Im always aware of how close someone is behind me and I am always several car lengths behind the car in front of me. By just being aware it has already saved me from on rear ended impact by a lazy driver who wasnt paying attention.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
157 Posts
And with paint like that, the only way you won't see it is to paint the entire car.
i paint new cars on a daily basis.
with the better matching water base coat paints on the market today. chances of getting a getting a blend able match is pretty good. if it's a new color this might make things more difficult. you won't know unless you do a color spray out panel first.
rack it up, measure to see if any unibody damage, you probably have some sheet metal moved around so ligh pull might be necessary. new 1/4, bumper, suspension, blend door & T lid. looking at the pic to me the rear bumper doesn't match from the factory so color blending and clear coating the entire panel on the L 1/4 may not be necessary.
a quality body shop will de trim the panels remove the 1/4 glass, i am assuming it's a fixed glass, before painting. depending on how they are installed, removing the WS and back glass might be necessary if they fit tight against the body panels.

sad to hear this nice car was damaged. hope no one was injured. cars can be easily repaired, replaced. people are not as easy to repair.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i will add
you probably already have a good relationship with a repair shop already so i might be talking to the wind.
choose a certified, at least a Ford but I-Car would be nice also, repair shop to repair this car. there is high strength steel in the 1/4 panel jamb area. when welding this area a Squeeze Type Resistance Welder, STRW, is recommended to weld in those areas. this type of welder does spot welds exactly like the factory did. welding with a MIG, sometimes called wire feed, welder can compromise the high strength steels structural integrity.
a certified shop will have this welder.
the shop i work at is VW, Mazda and I-Car gold class certified.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
With metalflake paint, how do you get the metalflake particles to lay down the same way as the adjacent panels?

See lots of painted quarters and fenders that match when under one light and one direction and then look distinctly different from a different direction.

On a car in this value range, and with metalflake paint, it would take a full repaint to make me happy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
you blend the adjacent panels to give the illusion of a color match. depending on the type of metallic and the pearl in the color you blend the color coat about 1 1/2 FEET to 3 FEET within the next panel. this is done successfully thousands of times a day across the country.
yes colors look different under different types of light. you can't expect the body shop to better than the factory does. how do you know the mismatched panels are even repaints and not factory OEM paint? the mis-matched paint is probably just the way the light is hitting the panel. when GM started making the Camero the 1/4 panel door mismatch was a big problem. this was just the way the light was hitting the panel. you can take a metallic panel that looks perfect. cut it in 1/2 and angle them. now the panels are 2 differet colors. WHY? that's just what happens when light hits the color at different angles. if you look at the original pics. you can see the bumper and door handle is a different color than the rest of the car. how can you expect the body shop to do better than that.
PERCEPTION of the job usually determines if the repair is acceptable. if you think in advance it won't match it probably won't match when you pick it up.
i will never forget the time i did a minor side scratch repair on a LOW miles first year C5 corvette. i think the car had 100 miles on it. no matter what we did nothing was acceptable to him. the customer always complained the color always look blochy and his new car was perfect. and it had to be a perfect paint job on it was the only way he would accept the job or we had to give him another new car. we took a new car exactly like his off the showroom floor and put his plates on it, then called him telling it was done. when the customer picked up his car he went ballistic. it was the worse job he had see anybody did on their life. he nitpicked and complained, he must have found 100 things wrong with it.. after he was done complaing they told him the car with the worst paint job he had seen in his life was in fact a perfect brand new car. they pulled up his car and asked how the job was worst than the factory one next to him. he sheepishly pointed out a couple of things. they asked him how it was worse than the new car. they put his plates on the car, he drove away and we never heard a thing from him again.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I am not a professional painter, but I have paid tens of thousands of dollars for several different paint projects.

I think, small shops, in general do a better job than most factory paint, as your story illustrates.

But even the best painter in the world is limited by metamerism and even more so by metalflake flop. IMO, the tool he needs to do the job right is to spray the entire shell, with basecoat color, at one booth session. And with the doors on the car and bumpers/hood/lid in close proximity so the the paint can be applied in the same direction with the same batch of paint. In theory, clearcoat should not be so demanding.

My standards for a $30,000 car will be much lower than a $100,000 car.

I also expect that the shop will be paid accordingly to do it this way. It is undoubtedly a lot more work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts