2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Carmine_GT500

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,130 Posts
Interesting they picked the Camaro over the GT500.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If I was Ford I would be taking a look at that GT500 when it comes back into inventory. The GT350 has been lauded for it's communicative steering and the update to the 2020 GT500 knuckles and front suspension geometry was deemed to be an improvement. I wonder why suddenly it gets marked as a detraction for the car.

I also wonder what the settings they had the steering set to. I am not a fan of the "sport" setting on the steering wheel that is the default anytime you enter Sport of Track in the car. It's artificially weighted and doesn't add to the feel of the vehicle. In Normal mode I feel like I have better steering response and can react faster as the wheel autocenters on oversteer faster.

I'm also upset that they took two cars with their all out track packages, said the level of performance they deliver is better suited for the track, mentioned driving them for multiple days of track time, and then seemingly never turned a single lap on the road course where the CFTP and the 1LE will really shine over their considerably cheaper lower end models. If you're not going to take them to the track then compare the more common ZL1 with the GT500 with the track pack or even just the base model. That's far more representative of how most of them will be bought and a comparison I haven't seen yet. Both cars may even be faster at the drag strip with the loss of their drag inducing rear wings and aero bits.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Seems like a very "light" review of the cars, and that's being nice.

They spent more time speaking about the interior materials than on the performance. Sounds like they may have made their decision driving the cars around a Walmart parking lot.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff guys!

I’ve never been in a ZL1 for comparison, but I cannot imagine it or any other car (aside from a super car) outdoing the 2020 GT500 in any category. The new Shelby is BEAST!?

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Premium Member
6,641 Posts
I read the article, and it's like re-reading a GT500 vs. ZL1 comparison from 2012... Reading between the lines, I know EXACTLY what they're meaning by "more-composed" chassis, and the Shelby feeling "skittery", and whatnot..

ZL1's are a snore to drive compared to GT500's. GM filters all the hedonism and immediacy and RAWNESS out of them. You could re-skin them and pop a Cadillac badge on the grille, and it'd work.

My 2012 ZL1 is an absolute snore to drive compared to my 2011 GT500.

Now, the newer platform for the Camaro is indeed a winner. FAR better than the predecessor, so I'm certain the ZL1 variant is amazing. But they don't give you goose-bumps and "wild-beast" factor like the Shelby products do. Part of what the critics were criticizing, is part of what makes the GT500 a more primal experience.

Except the numb steering, that's strange, and I agree that they must've gotten into a "mode" that they shouldn't have.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
GM must've paid more than Ford for that review. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts