Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

5/18/20 Update

This event has been CANCELLED. Sorry, guys, another victim of this **** COVID situation. I've been monitoring the situation in NC (and local jurisdictions in NC) and TN and was hoping things would be back to normal but there are just too many COVID regulations/restrictions/complications to overcome for a big group coming from all over the country. Too many unknowns to risk putting people out and not making it worth their while.

Maybe by some miracle things will be back to normal by the fall and we could do an impromptu fall event or something.

Ok, guys, we weren't able to pull it off last spring, so let's see if we can make it happen this spring. Who's in for a Tail of the Dragon adventure?

If you don’t mind me, a former Shelby owner and current C6 owner, hanging out and driving around with you ?, I’ll be happy to try and light this powder keg off and see if we can’t get something organized.

TOTD would be just one of the adventures, of course. There’s the Cherohala Skyway, the Moonshiner 28, the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as the newly opened “Missing Link” section of the Foothills Parkway ('Missing Link' to open 52 years after construction began on Foothills Parkway ). The options are endless.

Let’s see if we can narrow down the available weekends to a couple. In an attempt to get the ball rolling, here are a few weekends to chew on. Dates are Fri-Sun but you can come for as much or as little as you like.

Apr 17-19
May 8-10
May 15-17
May 29-31
June 5-7
June 12-14
June 26-28

Of course, if there is a different weekend that works better for the group, then so be it.

I would really prefer (and plan to personally) to add in the Friday before to avoid the weekend Dragon traffic. At least in my experience, come Saturday at 11am, the party is over so to speak on the Dragon – too much traffic to get a clean, non-stop run through, which can be frustrating, especially considering the distance some of us are coming from. I will be staying Friday night and Saturday night.

Here’s a list of guys in the general vicinity (GA, NC, TN, SC, KY) that may be interested. I’m sure I’ve missed some guys, so please let me know and I’ll add them to the “call out” list. Of course, any member here is welcome to join us!

@67restoMod
@fastback
@BLKwRD14
@alan0614
@2010Grabber
@Cobra4me
@mavisky
@dougmccurry
@Swampgator
@Mikec35
@66sprint6
@gaindian
@ihaterice
@K Brode

Let's do this thing!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

And, fyi, here is a link to our Dragon adventure a couple of springs ago
Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway June 2-3

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,272 Posts
If you did it in June when the wife is done teaching school, we could make it a mini-vacation! Have trailer... will travel.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,063 Posts
Oh you know I’m in! These roads are an absolute blast.

Reactions: Southern__shelby_

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,429 Posts
I'm interested, as well. Would like the opportunity to meet some East coasters who don't usually show up at Shelbyfest! (hint-hint) LOL! I'd be interested in something after the first week in May. That way if something happened to the car, I'd still have made it to Shelbyfest, Lord willing!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,272 Posts
My wife finishes her school year May 29th. I lobby for the 2nd week in June.

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounding like second week in June (June 12-14) is the front runner at this point!

They don't yet have the 2020 events listed, but let's keep an eye on this page for updates. If the 2019 list is any indication, June may be the better/quieter month -- lots of events in April and May.

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, guys, I’ve developed two options for consideration. Let’s get some feedback/discussion going on these two options.

Note: I can develop a third option if folks are up for staying in a different location on Friday and Saturday night. For example, spending Friday night at Tapoco Lodge (2 miles from the Dragon) would be fantastic – absolutely beautiful setting, overlooking a river with a bar (only one in the area – dry county) - BUT they have very limited availability/few rooms which is why I didn’t try to create an option around it at this point.

Option 1: Pigeon Forge, TN as home base
Friday
  • 9am: meet at Tabcat Creek boat ramp at the north end of the Dragon. Spend rest of the morning running the Dragon.
    • For those that might be spending the night in Pigeon Forge on Thursday night, Tabcat Creek is about an hour from Pigeon Forge. See the map – from Pigeon Forge to Tabcat, you’ll be driving the Foothills Parkway and the “Missing Link” – fantastic drive.
  • Noon: lunch at Tapoco Lodge. Home - Historic Tapoco Lodge
  • Afternoon: head to Fontana Dam (check it out, drive across the top of the dam, pictures, etc.), run a really fun, twisty section of the “Moonshiner 28” south of King’s Grocery and then head to Pigeon Forge by going up and over the mountains through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (see map)
  • Dinner: tons of options
Saturday
  • 9am: head out, back up and over the mountain, run the “Moonshiner 28” again south of King’s grocery, continue south to Franklin, hit Dry Falls on way to Highlands
  • Noon: lunch and shopping in Highlands
  • Afternoon: Highlands to Brevard, up through the Pisgah Forest on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, drive along the BPR (multiple great pullouts/views) all the way back to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, then head back up over the mountain to Pigeon Forge
Sunday
  • Leave for home on your own schedule
  • Some of us will be heading back south and will have the option to hit the Dragon or Moonshiner again, so you are welcome to stay and play with us
Pros and Cons
  • Pros:
    • Pigeon Forge has a TON of hotels, restaurants/bars, attractions – lots to do, lots of choices
    • Get to drive through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (up and over the mountain)
  • Cons:
    • Although they are fun as heck, we’d be running some of the same roads multiple times, e.g. the drive up on over the mountain (Cherokee NC to/from Pigeon Forge TN) and the “Moonshiner 28”. Eats up time that we could be spending on new roads.
    • Saturday route is a long day – see bullet above – and might impede on evening social time
Option 2: Bryson City, NC as home base
Friday
  • 9am: meet at Deal’s Gap (south end of the Dragon), spend the morning running the Dragon
  • Afternoon: head to Fontana Dam, then run Wayah Road between Topton and Franklin, head north out of Franklin on “Moonshiner 28”, run the twisties there and then on to Bryson City. (If time and/or desire allows, we could run from Cherokee up to the top of Mount Laconte in the Greak Smoky Mountains National Park and back down.)
  • Dinner: drive 20 minutes from Bryson City to Dillsboro and eat at Haywood Smokehouse (I eat there every time I’m in the area – love it! Read the Tripadvisor reviews.)
    Haywood Smokehouse
Saturday
  • 9am: head out, run through the twisties again on the “Moonshiner 28” on the way to Franklin, hit Dry Falls on way to Highlands, run super twisty section of “Moonshiner 28” south of Highlands (won’t go all the way to Pine Mountain), turn around and head back to Highlands for lunch and shopping
  • 12am: lunch in Highlands
  • Afternoon: Highlands to Brevard, up through the Pisgah Forest on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, drive along the BPR (multiple great pullouts/views) all the way back to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, then head back to Bryson City
  • Dinner: in Bryson City. I’d suggest the Nantahala Brewing Company Home | Nantahala Brewing . I’ve always wanted to try their farm-to-table brewpub and brewery.
Sunday
  • Some of us will be heading back south, so if anyone else wants to stay and play, we can squeeze another adventure in
Pros and Cons
  • Pros:
    • We are always running new roads in this option, no going over same ground (other than the “Moonshiner 28” which is awesome)
    • More manageable driving days – not as long as the Pigeon Forge option – resulting in more evening social time
  • Cons
    • Don’t get to drive through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park
    • Not as many hotels and bars/restaurants in Bryson City but enough to satisfy/accommodate us I think. (I’ve stayed at the Sleep Inn which is a short walk (1/2 mile?) or a really short drive down the hill in to town.)
    • It is a small town – hours of restaurants, etc. are subject to change so to speak
PF Option - Day 1 - Tapoco to Fontana to Moonshiner to PF.jpg PF Option - Day 2  - PF to BPR to Brevard to Highlands to Franklin to PF Loop.jpg PF Option - Day 1 - PF to Tabcat Creek Boat Ramp Parking Lot.jpg BC Option - Day 1 - Tapoco to Fontana to Wayah Rd to Moonshiner to Bryson City.jpg BC Option - Day 2 - Bryson City to Moonshiner to Dry Falls to Highlands to BRP to Bryson City.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue. 1962 Mercury Monterey Desert Frost 390/300hp
316 Posts
Ok, guys, I’ve developed two options for consideration. Let’s get some feedback/discussion going on these two options.

Note: I can develop a third option if folks are up for staying in a different location on Friday and Saturday night. For example, spending Friday night at Tapoco Lodge (2 miles from the Dragon) would be fantastic – absolutely beautiful setting, overlooking a river with a bar (only one in the area – dry county) - BUT they have very limited availability/few rooms which is why I didn’t try to create an option around it at this point.

Option 1: Pigeon Forge, TN as home base
Friday
  • 9am: meet at Tabcat Creek boat ramp at the north end of the Dragon. Spend rest of the morning running the Dragon.
    • For those that might be spending the night in Pigeon Forge on Thursday night, Tabcat Creek is about an hour from Pigeon Forge. See the map – from Pigeon Forge to Tabcat, you’ll be driving the Foothills Parkway and the “Missing Link” – fantastic drive.
  • Afternoon: head to Fontana Dam (check it out, drive across the top of the dam, pictures, etc.), run a really fun, twisty section of the “Moonshiner 28” south of King’s Grocery and then head to Pigeon Forge by going up and over the mountains through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (see map)
Saturday
  • 9am: head out, back up and over the mountain, run the “Moonshiner 28” again south of King’s grocery, continue south to Franklin, hit Dry Falls on way to Highlands
  • Noon: lunch and shopping in Highlands
  • Afternoon: Highlands to Brevard, up through the Pisgah Forest on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, drive along the BPR (multiple great pullouts/views) all the way back to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, then head back up over the mountain to Pigeon Forge
Sunday
  • Some of us will be heading back south and will have the option to hit the Dragon or Moonshiner again, so you are welcome to stay and play with us
Pros and Cons
  • Pros:
    • Pigeon Forge has a TON of hotels, restaurants/bars, attractions – lots to do, lots of choices
    • Get to drive through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (up and over the mountain)
  • Cons:
    • Although they are fun as heck, we’d be running some of the same roads multiple times, e.g. the drive up on over the mountain (Cherokee NC to/from Pigeon Forge TN) and the “Moonshiner 28”. Eats up time that we could be spending on new roads.
    • Saturday route is a long day – see bullet above – and might impede on evening social time
Option 2: Bryson City, NC as home base
Friday
  • 9am: meet at Deal’s Gap (south end of the Dragon), spend the morning running the Dragon
  • Afternoon: head to Fontana Dam, then run Wayah Road between Topton and Franklin, head north out of Franklin on “Moonshiner 28”, run the twisties there and then on to Bryson City. (If time and/or desire allows, we could run from Cherokee up to the top of Mount Laconte in the Greak Smoky Mountains National Park and back down.)
  • Dinner: drive 20 minutes from Bryson City to Dillsboro and eat at Haywood Smokehouse (I eat there every time I’m in the area – love it! Read the Tripadvisor reviews.)
    Haywood Smokehouse
Saturday
  • 9am: head out, run through the twisties again on the “Moonshiner 28” on the way to Franklin, hit Dry Falls on way to Highlands, run super twisty section of “Moonshiner 28” south of Highlands (won’t go all the way to Pine Mountain), turn around and head back to Highlands for lunch and shopping
  • 12am: lunch in Highlands
  • Afternoon: Highlands to Brevard, up through the Pisgah Forest on to the Blue Ridge Parkway, drive along the BPR (multiple great pullouts/views) all the way back to the Oconaluftee Visitor Center, then head back to Bryson City
  • Dinner: in Bryson City. I’d suggest the Nantahala Brewing Company Home | Nantahala Brewing . I’ve always wanted to try their farm-to-table brewpub and brewery.
Sunday
  • Some of us will be heading back south, so if anyone else wants to stay and play, we can squeeze another adventure in
Pros and Cons
  • Pros:
    • We are always running new roads in this option, no going over same ground (other than the “Moonshiner 28” which is awesome)
    • More manageable driving days – not as long as the Pigeon Forge option – resulting in more evening social time
  • Cons
    • Don’t get to drive through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park
    • Not as many hotels and bars/restaurants in Bryson City but enough to satisfy/accommodate us I think. (I’ve stayed at the Sleep Inn which is a short walk (1/2 mile?) or a really short drive down the hill in to town.)
    • It is a small town – hours of restaurants, etc. are subject to change so to speak
View attachment 196714 View attachment 196715 View attachment 196716 View attachment 196717 View attachment 196718
I just saw this discussion. TOD is 420 miles from where I live in Southern Illinois. I talked to the wife and she thought it sounds like fun. If you guys don't mind a "13 GT running with ya. I'll talk to my son -in-law and see if he wants to go in his "08 Shelby GT500.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts