Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a list since March 2005 and I recently called up the dealer and asked about my place in line. He told me that my place in line was irrelevant because they had an obligation to their past customer first. So if I was number 5 in line I could be skipped until all their past customers where taken care of. I understand the reasoning but something seems out of place.

Who knows my dealer might decide to auction the cars off instead and then the barrett jackson price gouging begins...

Frustrated,

T.J.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dealer told me last march I was #3 and would be charged MSRP w/downpayment of $1,000.00. He said after me, they were going to charge
$5,000.00 down and price would not be as good. Now they inform me that
they have 31 deposits of $1,000.00 each and everyone will pay "market value"
They are sorry, but would like to give me my downpayment back which I have
refused at this time. They say I am still #3. I plan on ordering my car and I will hope for the best as far as "market value" at time of delivery

·
Registered
26 Posts
even Shelby with their Series 1 did the same...they took deposits, made promises "in writing" but in the end they raised the price to cover their costs.

Waiting lists are for suckers anyway...have a little patience, you won't see too many on the road for a while so yours will still turn heads...

that person is right, the 600,000 that the gt500 sold for at Barrett Jackson will cause dealers to think thy can do the same to you.

There are going to be collectors who put these away with under 100 miles on the clock...If you plan on driving yours over 100 miles, why pay over sticker!

The dealers will deal, find a good guy and stay with him. Your loyalty will reward you in years to come. I haven't paid sticker for any of mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer that has my order, keeps a first come first sold list. Your name, date of deposit and type of car ie rag or coupe. It' in plain view for all to see, they've done it that way ever since they started with the SVT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
^I'll make you a bet...if they raise your final cost, you owe me a drive in it...if they don't raise the price, then ok, I'll take a drive in yours. deal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy somewhere else. Also be sure to get the dealership owner's name & address and sales manager's name and address and send each of them a personal reminder of this event each time you purchase a vehicle elesewhere for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have talked to others who have ordered 6-10 months ago. Many were told MSRP initially and are now informed "market value". I would like to compile a list of the dealers who are doing this and I will file a formal complaint to Ford
Motor Co. I don't know what will come of it but it is a start. Anyone that wants to help is welcome to contact me. I have already filed a formal complaint on my local dealer and I have made contact with others that were promised the same thing from my dealer. We intend to approach them in a
group to see if we can persuade them that this "one time profit windfall" at the expense of "their word" is going to be costly to them in the long run.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2005ROUSH said:
I have talked to others who have ordered 6-10 months ago. Many were told MSRP initially and are now informed "market value". I would like to compile a list of the dealers who are doing this and I will file a formal complaint to Ford
Motor Co. I don't know what will come of it but it is a start. Anyone that wants to help is welcome to contact me. I have already filed a formal complaint on my local dealer and I have made contact with others that were promised the same thing from my dealer. We intend to approach them in a
group to see if we can persuade them that this "one time profit windfall" at the expense of "their word" is going to be costly to them in the long run.
While I applaud your effort to undertake this, I think you will be spinning your wheels..(no pun intended) I had a 1000.00 deposit on a 2007 Shelby and was number one on the list buying for MSRP....then was told that the car would be sold for 70-75k. I did complain to Ford and they told me its not in their hands, the dealers are the one who set the price.

While I would really like to own this car, I'm not running out and paying over MSRP. They are not worth it. Quite frankly, these are not the Shelby's of yester year...not even built by Shelby, and will not appreciate in value like the ones in the 60's and 70's. Is it a nice car? Yes, but when you get into the 75k dollar price range it opens up many other doors and vehicles to purchase.

The Ford Dealers who are going to try to make their year by charging a huge mark up on the 3 or 4 cars they are allocated are complete fools......and FOMOCO are bigger foos for allowing this take place. For once in a very long time Ford is going to produce a car that will sell, but instead they took the typical Detroit short sighted approach, and will limit its availablty. The good news here is that Chevy and Chrysler will have their cars out in late 2007 / 2008, and buyers will have a choice.

Is it any wonder that Ford is in such a horrible financial situation? Just layed off 30,000 employees. Look at the statisics, they have and continue to lose market share (now only 45% of Americans drive American cars). Bill Ford should stop his whining, and the pathetic commercials about how he is changing things, and figure out how to produce enough vehicles that people want to buy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Teke said:
While I applaud your effort to undertake this, I think you will be spinning your wheels..(no pun intended) I had a 1000.00 deposit on a 2007 Shelby and was number one on the list buying for MSRP....then was told that the car would be sold for 70-75k. I did complain to Ford and they told me its not in their hands, the dealers are the one who set the price.

While I would really like to own this car, I'm not running out and paying over MSRP. They are not worth it. Quite frankly, these are not the Shelby's of yester year...not even built by Shelby, and will not appreciate in value like the ones in the 60's and 70's. Is it a nice car? Yes, but when you get into the 75k dollar price range it opens up many other doors and vehicles to purchase.

The Ford Dealers who are going to try to make their year by charging a huge mark up on the 3 or 4 cars they are allocated are complete fools......and FOMOCO are bigger foos for allowing this take place. For once in a very long time Ford is going to produce a car that will sell, but instead they took the typical Detroit short sighted approach, and will limit its availablty. The good news here is that Chevy and Chrysler will have their cars out in late 2007 / 2008, and buyers will have a choice.

Is it any wonder that Ford is in such a horrible financial situation? Just layed off 30,000 employees. Look at the statisics, they have and continue to lose market share (now only 45% of Americans drive American cars). Bill Ford should stop his whining, and the pathetic commercials about how he is changing things, and figure out how to produce enough vehicles that people want to buy.
I talked to my attorney today. I have a deposit receipt that states I put down $1,000.00 on 3-30-05. It says the deposit is for a 2007 Shelby and that I am #3. My attorney says that though it doesn't state specifically "MSRP" it also doesn't say "market value". With a few others that were promised the same thing, A judge that is fair will make the decision. What do you think the dealers will do if enough customers that were truly promised "MSRP" come forward together and if necessary take it to court. I
would rather see my attorney get some before a dealer that doesn't stick to their word.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2005ROUSH said:
I talked to my attorney today. I have a deposit receipt that states I put down $1,000.00 on 3-30-05. It says the deposit is for a 2007 Shelby and that I am #3. My attorney says that though it doesn't state specifically "MSRP" it also doesn't say "market value". With a few others that were promised the same thing, A judge that is fair will make the decision. What do you think the dealers will do if enough customers that were truly promised "MSRP" come forward together and if necessary take it to court. I
would rather see my attorney get some before a dealer that doesn't stick to their word.
I hear you and hope you do get your Shelby at MSRP. But I will say this, unless the letter is buttoned up "I's" dotted and "t's" crossed the dealer will find a way out of this one. I've seen it before. FOMOCO will let the dealers do whatever they want because as far as FOMOCO is concered they sold the car to the dealer at a fair price.

I don't believe that these cars will command the prices that dealers are asking, maybe in the beginning, once production ramps, proces will fall. Case in point look at the GT40's. Everytime I called a dealer regarding the Shelby, they always countered with a " I can get you a great deal on a GT40. Remember when they were selling for 225 -250k? Not anymore. The 4 Ford dealers in my area each have one on the showroom floor that will sell at MSRP or less.

Here is the repsonse from FOMOCO on this issue:

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your experience with one of our Ford Sales Departments.

Ford Motor Company is concerned with the satisfaction of all Ford and Lincoln Mercury owners. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to contact us. Excellent dealer service helps us maintain our customers' goodwill. When that service is not satisfactory, we appreciate being advised so the information may be forwarded to the appropriate department.

Feedback helps us keep dealer sales performance at the highest possible level. However, Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships are independently owned and operated and as such, we are unable to intervene directly in sales issues. If you have not already done so, we would recommend you provide feedback to the Management Team at the dealership, we believe they would also appreciate knowing the details of your dissatisfaction.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Karen
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I just ordered a 2010 GT500 coupe from my local dealer last Thursday and put a $1000 down on the car. I called today to find out if the order had been submitted and they said yes but.... The car is limited production and we only get an allocation of 1 and we already sold one but we will get your car its just a matter of when.

So before I ordered the car I negotiated the price that is below MSRP and got it "in writing" and got a receipt for the deposit. What I'm afraid of is they want to back out for some reason but why do the deal in the first place if they think they can get more for the car??? My wife says I'm over reacting but you just never know what these dealers will do. What do you guys think????

Thanks EW

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Law varies by state, but if you have a "signed" written contract stating price, you are in pretty good shape
I guess it really is a Supply & Demand thing. MSRP is just that; Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price. Dealers will mark them down if they're not selling.

My '09 had an MSRP of $47,000+ and I paid just about the sticker price "Out The Door" (Tax, Tag, etc.) which amounted to $3,000 - 4,000 below MSRP. But then I buy my cars from the Gen Mgr and don't play all the sales games that the sales depts like to play. The '09 makes the 5th vehicle I have bought from them all in the $40k-50k price range.

When they were pushing it out for the test drive one of the salesmen told my wife he couldn't believe I was getting to test drive it; the Gen Mgr didn't let anyone drive that car! It had 7 miles on it when I drove it. :rofl:

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I got my VIN number from my dealer today! I also got a tentative delivery timeframe of late August. Is there anyway to track the cars progress using the VIN? Also, I hope they stick to the price we agreed to....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts