2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,396 Posts
Camping Ted? Let’s call it remote luxury living instead! 🙂

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ohio, here’s a couple pics of the Phaeton that’s a few doors down from us at the moment. Looks like a really nice rig!
77AC62B1-C2EF-41B8-AF45-A71CE753FB2B.jpeg

10537456-9B1B-4938-B400-B8813AA00FCF.jpeg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ohio, here’s a couple pics of the Phaeton that’s a few doors down from us at the moment. Looks like a really nice rig!
View attachment 200605
View attachment 200606
Thats a nice one. At least 41ft due to tandem.Love that color.

We are looking at this color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
After researching all sorts of "rigs" over the years, I learned that if you have to ask about the price and taxes ..... you can't afford one. LOL :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, there are so many aspects you have to consider when becoming a RV'er, that you need to look at all the angles. Being a trucker all my life, I've seen the costs of operating a rig. Fuel costs, tires, brakes, mechanical breakdowns, the newer diesels with their electronic controls and pollution control systems are a PITA ..... then add in "house repairs", plumbing, electrical, appliances, pumps, generators, roofing, etc. ..... and then the limited ability to go certain places and finding legal (nice) places to park, storage during down times ..... it just didn't seem worth it in the end, especially after looking at the depreciation. I looked at everything from a Prevost to a Minnie Winnie .... it does come down to just how much money do you want to burn, and how many repairs do you want to deal with.

I know I'm playing the "Negative Nellie" role here, but after trucking for 40 years, and seeing the legal ramifications involving "large vehicles" in any kind of accident, along with little things some people forget about like tires costing $250-500 EACH, fuel mileage plus high diesel cost means several hundred dollars EACH FILL-UP, repair facilities that charge $200-300 per hour with 3 week waiting times .... it was just too much for me ... so it's not just about the money, it's all the other "headaches" that come with pushing a house down the road.

And here's a story to think about that happened in my travels: I travel alone most of the time, (my wife FLYS everywhere), so I settled on a small "camper van" .. just a Ford E150 van, 19mpg, bed & toilet on board ... was traveling the interstate when the CB radio (you've got to have one for safety) crackled that there was a fatality accident 10 miles ahead, interstate was closed down, traffic backed up for miles, probably a 4-5 hour closure (it's a long time when a fatality is involved). There was only one exit before the accident site, and that was a small country road into a small town ... but with only having a regular van, I was able to jump off, take the back country roads, over small bridges, low clearance railroad bridge, and wind my way up over 60 miles on narrow two-lane roads to reach my destination pretty much still on time. I was REALLY GLAD that I wasn't in any kind of "big rig", because I would have been stuck in traffic for who knows how long, because you sure don't want to risk taking one of those "off-road". It also reminds me of the time when I was just south of DesMoines, Iowa, driving a 18 wheeler, when all of a sudden traffic came to a screeching halt .... seems like the President of USA was in town and they had shut down parts of the interstate ... so, being stuck there for over an hour, a couple of truckers pulled out a charcoal grill they had in their storage box, we fired it up and cooked some hotdogs for several people who wandered our way .... it was a strange experience to be sitting in the middle of the interstate, eating hot dogs with chips and a drink, all chipped in by fellow truckers and RV'ers. Ah, memories.

Sorry to have rambled on so long ... but just some food-for-thought before entering the big RV world. Happy trails & safe motoring to everyone !!

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here Greg...

Now may be the best time as any to enter the big RV world. Fuel is the cheapest it's been for a long time. In all reality, $250-$500 for tires is not much worse than what we put on our cars (albeit you need like 523 of them for an RV). If selling a large house, values are very favorable to generate liquid cash to make a purchase/set a maintenance budget. About the only thing we can count on a the moment is to spend time in solitary, what better way than making your view different every few days?

I get where your coming from, though. When we go to 'Dega, we see many very impressive rigs, some even for sale with $350,000 USED price tags. Hard to fathom, but who are we to judge how people spend their money? They may be multi-millionaires and this $500,000 rig is just a drop in the bucket for them. As you stated, resale/residual value is key here. I'm sure there are just as many in the RV world that have been able to enter at a relatively low cost because they let somebody else take the hit. Just like many do in our performance car world.

The RV/Travel Trailer business has absolutely exploded in the last 10 years. Even with Covid, I think you'll continue to see that.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Playing a bit of devil's advocate here Greg...

Now may be the best time as any to enter the big RV world. Fuel is the cheapest it's been for a long time. In all reality, $250-$500 for tires is not much worse than what we put on our cars (albeit you need like 523 of them for an RV). If selling a large house, values are very favorable to generate liquid cash to make a purchase/set a maintenance budget. About the only thing we can count on a the moment is to spend time in solitary, what better way than making your view different every few days?

I get where your coming from, though. When we go to 'Dega, we see many very impressive rigs, some even for sale with $350,000 USED price tags. Hard to fathom, but who are we to judge how people spend their money? They may be multi-millionaires and this $500,000 rig is just a drop in the bucket for them. As you stated, resale/residual value is key here. I'm sure there are just as many in the RV world that have been able to enter at a relatively low cost because they let somebody else take the hit. Just like many do in our performance car world.

The RV/Travel Trailer business has absolutely exploded in the last 10 years. Even with Covid, I think you'll continue to see that.
Oh ... I have to agree with you wholeheartedly ... I LOVE running the open road and "living off the grid", and if you have the means and plan correctly, you can have an enjoyable time, but I've seen too many horror stories about people who sort of "dove in blind", only to realize that RV'n aint cheap and can come with some serious headaches. I realize our Forum here is comprised of many well-to-do members who spend beau-coup bucks on our beloved Shelby automobiles, but even then, when you run into $500 fill-ups, thousands of dollars in tires/brakes/repairs which don't involve upgrades, just repairs ... and then add in headaches like ceilings that leak, refrigerators that quit, generators that won't start, and lovely aspects like dump stations .... well, I just felt the need to forewarn. ..... and yes, there are "bargains" out there. I looked at many a used Prevost (VERY nice units) that were $300,000 brand new, but after 10 years and only 100,000 miles, you could pick one up for around $50,000 and look like Willie Nelson on the road (who I actually ran with one night from Joplin, MO to Kansas City ... what a hoot !!). So, once again, I agree with you, and can only hope that those who embark on a RV adventure, have as much enjoyment on the open road as I have had over the years. Safe travels everyone !!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Owning a RV does cost more than going to a hotel for vacation and it does depreciate in value.
But think of it this way. You go on vacation and all you get are memories and things you may buy. I equate part of that logic to owning an RV and its depreciation.

My dogs love to go on vacation and the RV has many conveniences (and inconveniences). Food cost less to shop and make, some parks to visit cost less than staying in a decent hotel per night, you can travel far or near your home to relax with all the amenities of home.

For me its the convenience and meeting others with similar homes on wheels.

There are some horror stories of repairs, but ours has been pretty much repair free.

My first RV was is a Class A 36 ft gasser. Looking to trade up to a pusher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I agree that you’ll never save money by owning an RV, but you’ll make some good memories along the way.
Our impromptu trip to Houston TX would not have happened without our RV.... quick change to our return route sent us east to New Orleans. Spent a quiet night at the French Quarter RV Resort...and I mean quiet, we were the only bus on the lot.
0CFDBCDB-F882-4A10-A304-F21A6C64B80B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
For me its the convenience ......
Our impromptu trip to Houston TX would not have happened without our RV....
Yes ... I like the freedom of taking a trip without having to plan everything in advance ... no hotel reservations, no airport security dances or flight scheduling nightmares, pack what you want and how much you want, drive as far as you want each day and shut down whenever you feel like it, sleeping in my own bed every night, stopping to eat when and where you want (or eating "on-board" if that suits your fancy) ..... and in this day and age, you can "social distance" much easier. I may not have all the room and options that the big rigs have, but I really enjoy the peace of mind of being able to go wherever a car can go and perform many repairs with my own toolbox. I understand the need for bigger units, I just didn't need the extra expense or headaches of a more complex vehicle..... but I still love looking over some of the units I park next to !!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts