Discussion Starter #1
Does this ladder make my butt look big?
0D3912A8-46A6-4C63-8F5F-41A2D50E9F6A.jpeg

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming your Ventana...... How do you like it? Im serious looking at the Ventana or a Tiffin Phaeton. Im leaning towards the Tiffin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our Ventana is a 2006. We got it a couple years ago and have been very happy with it, but since it’s our first MH we don’t have much to compare.
There is a Phaeton a few spots down from us in the park that looks amazing.
Tiffin & Newmar are both top notch and I don’t think you could go wrong with either.
We almost bought a Tiffin, but the towing capacity was only 5000lbs (was not a Phaeton). Our Newmar is 10,000 which may come in handy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our Ventana is a 2006. We got it a couple years ago and have been very happy with it, but since it’s our first MH we don’t have much to compare.
There is a Phaeton a few spots down from us in the park that looks amazing.
Tiffin & Newmar are both top notch and I don’t think you could go wrong with either.
We almost bought a Tiffin, but the towing capacity was only 5000lbs (was not a Phaeton). Our Newmar is 10,000 which may come in handy.
We have a 2015 Vista 35F (5000 lb towing - gasser) we bought brand new. I agree, Newmar and Tiffin seem to be the best RV brands.

Our eyes are a 2020 Tiffin Phaeton QBH or IH, but we are going to look at a Ventana...staying at 40 ft.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a 2015 Vista 35F (5000 lb towing - gasser) we bought brand new. I agree, Newmar and Tiffin seem to be the best RV brands.

Our eyes are a 2020 Tiffin Phaeton QBH or IH, but we are going to look at a Ventana...staying at 40 ft.

I think 40’ is the sweetspot for these things. Kind of wish we had gone just a bit longer. Our Ventana is only 33’ so it’s got a fairly short wheelbase. Seems a bit squirrelly on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
497 Posts
I always had a question about an RV. I have been aboard some crazy decked out big RV's and "tour bus" types of things, but I never understood why not go for a 5th wheel kind of set up. Get a nice F350 and pull a decked out 5th wheel trailer adn then you can park it, set it up and then have the truck to run into town or just go for a cruise. I understand if there isn't as much room, but the convenience of having a "car" to leave the site and not have to drive a huge RV around a town or city seems ideal.

Can you educate me with regards to what are the pros and cons of such a choice or compare between the two. My wife (aka The Lovely Liz) and I have had casual conversations about when we retire doing a modest home and then going out and seeing the country via RV-esque style, but the truck with 5th wheel camper seems so much more practical. Not knocking the larger full size bus or RV.

In Indy there is a furniture store called Kittles and the senior Mr. Kittle did quite well for himself. I was working at a resort (Camp Brosius if anyone has ever heard of it) in Elkhart Lake, WI and they stopped by to stay and see their family. As the assistant director and adult program director I spent most of my time kissing ass of rich IU alumni. (that is Indiana University for those of you outsiders).

Their "Tour Bus" was flat our amazing. he was bragging about how much money he spent on this or that, but it just seemed so awkward to maneuver when he was driving it. Having a car (which I know some tow along) seems so much more practical once you are parked.

Just curious really. Would love to hear more about this stuff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think 40’ is the sweetspot for these things. Kind of wish we had gone just a bit longer. Our Ventana is only 33’ so it’s got a fairly short wheelbase. Seems a bit squirrelly on the highway.
I agree on the 40’. I think that is the maximum length without a tandem. Also, less than 40’, I’m finding most, if not all, bathrooms mid-coach. I prefer a rear full bathroom and washer/dryer. The QBH is a bath and a half....similar to our Vista floor plan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Gotta get one with a Cummins ISL 9 in it!!

2012 Race Red SVTPP
I think the Tiffin has a Cummins option, not sure its the ISL 9 since the option is 400HP. I think the ISL9 is a 450 HP motor??

·
Registered
2012 GT500
60 Posts
I always had a question about an RV. I have been aboard some crazy decked out big RV's and "tour bus" types of things, but I never understood why not go for a 5th wheel kind of set up. Get a nice F350 and pull a decked out 5th wheel trailer adn then you can park it, set it up and then have the truck to run into town or just go for a cruise. I understand if there isn't as much room, but the convenience of having a "car" to leave the site and not have to drive a huge RV around a town or city seems ideal.

Can you educate me with regards to what are the pros and cons of such a choice or compare between the two. My wife (aka The Lovely Liz) and I have had casual conversations about when we retire doing a modest home and then going out and seeing the country via RV-esque style, but the truck with 5th wheel camper seems so much more practical. Not knocking the larger full size bus or RV.

In Indy there is a furniture store called Kittles and the senior Mr. Kittle did quite well for himself. I was working at a resort (Camp Brosius if anyone has ever heard of it) in Elkhart Lake, WI and they stopped by to stay and see their family. As the assistant director and adult program director I spent most of my time kissing ass of rich IU alumni. (that is Indiana University for those of you outsiders).

Their "Tour Bus" was flat our amazing. he was bragging about how much money he spent on this or that, but it just seemed so awkward to maneuver when he was driving it. Having a car (which I know some tow along) seems so much more practical once you are parked.

There are so many factors in this conversation. There are arguments for both. You can pull a small car behind pretty much any smaller motor home. If you move up to a diesel pusher style RV you can pull/tow much more!! I used to work on the service side of the industry. I’ve seen diesel pushers with toy hauler trailers that can tow car/motorcycle/toys in one trailer and have it all. It really comes down to budget and what you can, or are willing, to spend!!

2012 Race Red SVTPP

·
Registered
2012 GT500
60 Posts
I think the Tiffin has a Cummins option, not sure its the ISL 9 since the option is 400HP. I think the ISL9 is a 450 HP motor??

It’s been a few years, but that could be the ISC in the 400 hp coach. If I’m remembering the levels correctly?! Haha

2012 Race Red SVTPP

·
Registered
2012 GT500
60 Posts
And some of the smaller coaches I think give the option of the new 5 liter V8 Cummins as well?! And to add to the above, maybe it’s the ISB 6.7 engine in the 400 hp. I think the ISC is actually one of the older engines. I remember seeing a couple very high ends coaches a couple times with the big 15 liter ISX 650 hp option. That thing is a beast!!!

2012 Race Red SVTPP

·
Registered
159 Posts

That is the never ending point/ counter point. For our first coach, we struggled with that very same issue. The Fifth Wheel is definitely a great option with some excellent floor plans which can get you into the six digit price point. In some cases, the Fifth Wheel floor plans are better than the coach.

The motor coach is a blast to drive and you have full access to the coach while traveling ( in motion), cooking ( in motion), watch satellite TV or going the restroom (in motion).......things you can’t really do in a fifth wheel.

On a coach, you can finance the entire coach as a mortgage for up to twenty years and have the potential for the interest deduction. Only the fifth wheel may be mortgaged out leaving the dually truck truck under an auto loan without the tax benefits. However, if you already own the proper pickup, the Fifth Wheel may be your best option. We don’t have a F350 or use one as a daily driver...so the coach was our better option.

Some higher end RV parks allow Class A only, no other RV types. But this should not be a consideration since this is rare.

We either tow our car, wife drives separately as a “traffic scout” or rent a car if needed. A street legal golf cart is great to have as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
And some of the smaller coaches I think give the option of the new 5 liter V8 Cummins as well?! And to add to the above, maybe it’s the ISB 6.7 engine in the 400 hp. I think the ISC is actually one of the older engines. I remember seeing a couple very high ends coaches a couple times with the big 15 liter ISX 650 hp option. That thing is a beast!!!

2012 Race Red SVTPP
I saw a Newmar with a twin turbo 650 hp beast in it. I think it was a London Aire 45 ft.

·
Registered
159 Posts

2012 Race Red SVTPP
From Tiffin:

PowerGlide XSH or Freightliner Chassis with Cummins ISL 380 HP with 1150 lb Torque (Floor Plan Specific)
PowerGlide XSH Cummins ISL 450 HP with 1250 lb Torque on 44 OH

I think the 40ft has the 380HP standard, 450 optional.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Also,

My wife and I plan to retire with an RV for traveling. We are looking at “port homes”. Port homes are very popular in the RV community and are typically found in 55+ communities in certain states. Here is on such community as an example:

This place is located in TN. All homes have RV garages, so your neighbors have something in common with you.....RV’s. 55+ communities typically do not have school taxes for properties. I “virtually” custom built a $450k home in the gardens. The property tax was $1300 a year and thats not a teaser tax jacked up a few years later. Currently, my property tax in Ohio is $14K by comparison on a similar home.

Check our IRV2 website for all things RV.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,784 Posts
I moved all of these camper posts to their own thread. I am now a happy camper. 😁

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,784 Posts
Thanks Goose. When are you buying RV?...lol

This is how I travel... just a different shape of aluminum.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts