Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article, the Camaro line finds itself on the chopping block once again:

Reactions: Keeno

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
My guess...The Camaro marketing team leaked this on purpose to see what kind of reaction it would create.

·
Super Moderator
5,438 Posts
The Camaro ZL1 1LE is one sweet ride. Looks fantastic. The base Camaros -- not so much.

I got a kick out of this part of the article:

"The Camaro SS featured pull-down parts from the 650 horsepower ZL1, while the mighty Camaro ZL1 1LE absolutely bullied the C7 Corvette in the school cafeteria. However, this might have been its biggest problem: playing too closely in the Corvette’s space."

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe that someone didn't say that in the first post !
Funny!

I enjoyed your joke Ken. Don’t forget fletchffletch has a Chevy in the garage! I would NEVER! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
I think it's sad news.. The competition is part of what fuels the progress.

My daughter will be sad to hear this, as I'm sure she has visions of going to college, getting a good job, and finally pulling into my driveway over a holiday with the big-horsepower V8 Camaro she always wanted, but dad (wisely) would not provide. Her current whip is a 2017 2.0L Turbo 6-speed manual (and man-o-man is it a nice driving and handling car, makes my GT500's chassis seem like an ox cart..)

Read the article, and don't necessarily agree with some of it. I don't find the Camaro-6 to be all that much tighter than the Camaro-5 inside, and the ergonomics and feel once you're inside are LIGHT YEARS better than the shitty (and that's putting it mildly) Camaro-5. And the styling of the Camaro-6 was a huge improvement... EXCEPT...

2019, when Chevy's stylists tripped over their shoelaces and screwed the pooch. Seems as though they're screwing plenty of things up, as all I see is negative remarks about new Silverado styling as well.

Anyhow, the Camaro is one hell of a good car. Sorry to see it go... again...

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
The Camaro ZL1 1LE is one sweet ride. Looks fantastic. The base Camaros -- not so much.

I got a kick out of this part of the article:

"The Camaro SS featured pull-down parts from the 650 horsepower ZL1, while the mighty Camaro ZL1 1LE absolutely bullied the C7 Corvette in the school cafeteria. However, this might have been its biggest problem: playing too closely in the Corvette’s space."
All it takes is a cheap set of Chinese knock-off ZL1 wheels to jazz up the styling of a base Camaro.. My daughter's 4-banger is below..

And I've always felt that the "playing to closely in the Corvette's space" is a nonsensical point. How, would that, cause CAMARO sales to suffer? And quite honestly, I do not believe for a minute that it causes Corvette sales to suffer either. Potential Corvette buyers aren't interested in buying a Camaro, regardless of performance. They want a sports car, they want a Corvette, and everything that goes with a Corvette. You'll never convince me that fast Camaros put a dent in Corvette sales..

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
702 Posts
All it takes is a cheap set of Chinese knock-off ZL1 wheels to jazz up the styling of a base Camaro.. My daughter's 4-banger is below..

And I've always felt that the "playing to closely in the Corvette's space" is a nonsensical point. How, would that, cause CAMARO sales to suffer? And quite honestly, I do not believe for a minute that it causes Corvette sales to suffer either. Potential Corvette buyers aren't interested in buying a Camaro, regardless of performance. They want a sports car, they want a Corvette, and everything that goes with a Corvette. You'll never convince me that fast Camaros put a dent in Corvette sales.. View attachment 190635
I think it’s probably meant to be the other way around. Once Camaros get that close to Corvettes, The Camaro owners step up to a Corvette and the Camaro sales slump.

·
Premium Member
6,677 Posts
I think it’s probably meant to be the other way around. Once Camaros get that close to Corvettes, The Camaro owners step up to a Corvette and the Camaro sales slump.
Point taken.

But from a guy who's owned a Corvette, and owned a Camaro, the two cars couldn't be more different. If you "step up" to a Corvette, and you're happy there, and you don't need the rear seats and more-practical packaging, and you have the means to make the Corvette payments, then you were going to buy the Corvette anyhow, either way.

Reactions: Rjstevens

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Point taken.

But from a guy who's owned a Corvette, and owned a Camaro, the two cars couldn't be more different. If you "step up" to a Corvette, and you're happy there, and you don't need the rear seats and more-practical packaging, and you have the means to make the Corvette payments, then you were going to buy the Corvette anyhow, either way.
But the bogeyman in these arguments is what the Corvette is becoming. Not really a Corvette anymore. GM should have made the C8 a new model or even it's own brand and kept the Corvette an ever improving version of the C7.

I think the C8 will ultimately be a bust. Maybe that is why they will let Camaro run a few more years.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
They could of named it a Retro-Resurrected,

CORVAIR....

They just about got the engine in the right place !!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
704 Posts
Funny!

I enjoyed your joke Ken. Don’t forget fletchffletch has a Chevy in the garage! I would NEVER! :ROFLMAO:
You don't have room for one, unless you are getting a forklift and stacking them...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts