Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
'07, you have had these pads on your car for a while now. Are you still happy with them? I am going to put mine on this weekend. Thanks for all the information you provided.

I am very happy.I still haven't put the 300 mile break in period but it is tons better.What dust I do get comes right off.It was just what I was looking for.

Any other feedback on the Porterfield pads would be appreciated now that folks have been running them for awhile. I noticed the dust problem especially on the rear of my car all over the white stripes.

The Porterfield pads are rather pricey. Steeda carries the Hawk HPS pads - anyone have any experience with these?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Any other feedback on the Porterfield pads would be appreciated now that folks have been running them for awhile. I noticed the dust problem especially on the rear of my car all over the white stripes.

The Porterfield pads are rather pricey. Steeda carries the Hawk HPS pads - anyone have any experience with these?
I know the Porterfields are great.I put mine on in December.My time is a lot more valuable than the price of the pads.

Thanks for posting this again I will be putting these on my car as well, specially after seeing them on 07 SHELBY's car. :)

This is a picture of the front left rotor and the tools to take it off.It's not in the picture but you will also need a 1/8" punch or welding rod to knock out the 2 pins in the picture in the upper LH side.You will have to knock them out from the outside of the caliper to the inside(wheel well).The star washers will be destroyed so you will have to get new ones or not put them back in.They go over the lugs(2)to keep the rotor in position to work on at the factory.The socket or wrench size for all bolts is 15 mm.
O7

Where did you get the replacement star washers for the rotors?

Right now I plan to purchase the Porterfield pads and install them myself - I'll stick with what is known to rid the GT500 of this horrible brake dust problem. I hesitate to drive the car each time I wash it because I know the rear end will be covered with dust in just one short ride.:(

Thanks for the instuctions and tips.:)

I just finished putting on my Porterfield pads this weekend and I did not go back with the star washers. I think they are just there to make the original installation a little easier anyway.

FYI, the front brake pistons can be reseated using a C-clamp, but the rear ones have to be screwed in. If you have a special tool like this one (which is made by Schley Products), you will have no problems! I do not have one, so I had problems with the last set of pads. Somehow, I managed to get the other side on without help. I ended up removing the caliper and taking to a local brake shop, where they used a tool like this and easily seated the piston for me. It was smooth sailing after that.

One last thing that the brake guy told me, when you get the piston seated, make sure that one of the V notches on the piston face is aligned at the top (or outside) of the caliper to accept the pin on the back of the pad.

Attachments

Oldimp

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I purchased a brake caliper tool kit from Habor Freight tools - about $17 on sale. :)

Please share what you think of the Porterfield pads with regards to braking performance and brake dust - whether it eliminates or just reduces the dust problem.

Oldimp

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I purchased a brake caliper tool kit from Habor Freight tools - about $17 on sale. :)

Please share what you think of the Porterfield pads with regards to braking performance and brake dust - whether it eliminates or just reduces the dust problem.
:eek: You can't use cheap tools on this car. That's like Paris Hilton using Suave Shampoo.;)

brb....I am going to Harbor Freight!

thanks for the tip
JJ

:eek: You can't use cheap tools on this car. That's like Paris Hilton using Suave Shampoo.;)

brb....I am going to Harbor Freight!

thanks for the tip
JJ
Hey I like Suave Shampoo and Paris too!:D :D

In case you're interested, Habor Freight also has a 13 pc punch set on sale for $7.99. 07 mentioned that a 1/8" punch (or equivalent) is needed to remove the calipers.
Back to harbor freight ;)

Since there have been numerous brake questions lately, I thought I'd bring this out of hybernation.:)

Cal

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.