Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be of some interest to those of you that also have a 2005-2007 GT Mustang.F.Y.I,the rear calipers on the Shelby are the same as the rear calipers on the GT Mustang.The shelbys are painted black the GT Mustang are painted chrome but the pads are of different material.I did some research on the calipers due to me wanting to change the pads.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I thought this might be of some interest to those of you that also have a 2005-2007 GT Mustang.F.Y.I,the rear calipers on the Shelby are the same as the rear calipers on the GT Mustang.The shelbys are painted black the GT Mustang are painted chrome but the pads are of different material.I did some research on the calipers due to me wanting to change the pads.
07 why did you want to change the pads? I was under the impression these were of ceramic composite.:confused: Or was that the clutch material only?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
07 why did you want to change the pads? I was under the impression these were of ceramic composite.:confused: Or was that the clutch material only?
Clutch material.I have 4 Fords(big surprise)and am tired of cleaning wheels.The Shelby is not a daily driver and when I take it out I don't care for all the brake dust on the wheels and on the side of the car.I am picky about this and it is a personal thing.Don't get me wrong I think the brakes are very good I am just tired of cleaning the wheels and side of the car.Just my opinion.The reason for the thread was for info purposes only between the Mustng GT and Shelby calipers.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Clutch material.I have 4 Fords(big surprise)and am tired of cleaning wheels.The Shelby is not a daily driver and when I take it out I don't care for all the brake dust on the wheels and on the side of the car.I am picky about this and it is a personal thing.Don't get me wrong I think the brakes are very good I am just tired of cleaning the wheels and side of the car.Just my opinion.The reason for the thread was for info purposes only between the Mustng GT and Shelby calipers.
I understand your concern and I agree 100% as to the brake dust. If you find a suitable replacement please let us know for I would make the change as well.:)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Amen to that... I was going to ask if I was the only one. I can have this car so clean you can eat off of it, in fact one day was bored so after washing it put it on stands..used a creeper got under it and washed the inside of the rims...do dust no nothing just like the day I picked it up. Than took it around the block and while parked in the garage I rubbed my finger on the rim and there it was... black dust. At that point in time I realized this car is getting the best of me :)

New brake pads please... no dust and still stops on a dime... Didn't ford see these break pads shed :(

Let us know how you make out on the pad mission :

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amen to that... I was going to ask if I was the only one. I can have this car so clean you can eat off of it, in fact one day was bored so after washing it put it on stands..used a creeper got under it and washed the inside of the rims...do dust no nothing just like the day I picked it up. Than took it around the block and while parked in the garage I rubbed my finger on the rim and there it was... black dust. At that point in time I realized this car is getting the best of me :)

New brake pads please... no dust and still stops on a dime... Didn't ford see these break pads shed :(

Let us know how you make out on the pad mission :

You know I already bought some pads.I just wanted to wait till I could give an honest opinion.They are for aggressive driving and little dust.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You know I already bought some pads.I just wanted to wait till I could give an honest opinion.They are for aggressive driving and little dust.
Hope we don't have to wait till spring to hear the results?:p

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope we don't have to wait till spring to hear the results?:p

Shlbysvt,
You don't miss a lick do you?I just got an e-mail and they should be here tomorrow or next.Give me a couple of weeks and I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I don't plan to put on many miles between now and than so that works for me. Of course if Santa comes through with the air intake I might put a couple of miles on it :) all in a straight line and hopefully won't use the brakes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've heard good things about these:

Porterfield

I haven't tried them yet, but plan to in the spring. I'll get the R4-S.

I agree with you, 07, that the stock Ford pads create more dust than anyone should have to live with. I've noticed the same with all the Ford trucks I've owned, except my Excursion for some strange reason. I have never even seen any brake dust on that one in 3+ years (100,000 miles) of driving.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard good things about these:

Porterfield

I haven't tried them yet, but plan to in the spring. I'll get the R4-S.

I agree with you, 07, that the stock Ford pads create more dust than anyone should have to live with. I've noticed the same with all the Ford trucks I've owned, except my Excursion for some strange reason. I have never even seen any brake dust on that one in 3+ years (100,000 miles) of driving.

Orf you beat me to it.Those are the pads I bought.I talked to a couple people who have used them and they love them.I did some searching on the net and got good reviews.If you don't prep the rotors you will get noise,other than that they are suppose to create 80% to 90% less dust and not chew up your rotors.I bought them from Jerry @ myroadster.net and comes with a brake noise silencer kit.

Here is the e-mail from Jerry:

Buy them through Jerry, a Porterfield distributor, for $169 front and $129
Rear. 888 563 7227 (MyRoadster.Net)
A brake noise silencer kit is included in the price, through Jerry only.
(Good procedure to prevent noise)

Porterfield R4S Street Compound:
Friction coefficient is .4
Operating Temperature range is
0 degrees F to 1,100degrees F
Brake dust reduction of at least 80% since the dust that is created does not
stick to clear coat or metal

The R4S is the fastest stopping street compound on the market, and are rotor
friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
07 - Have you installed the new brake pads?

No I haven't received them yet.In the next couple of days I should have them.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
168 Posts
07 - looking forward to a full report on how the installation went and the performance of the pads (i.e. - dust free)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
07 - looking forward to a full report on how the installation went and the performance of the pads (i.e. - dust free)

Ok I will let you know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The brake dust is terrible. It is as bad as my old 05 F150. I put clean wheels on it. Someone mentioned Hawk pads were good. I hope you have good luck with the new pads and let us know, PLEASE.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So the R4S pads are supposed to stop better than stock and produce less dust? Would be well worth the $ if that were the case!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well between work,family,shopping,sleeping and my daughters birthday I finally got the pads on.It is quite a prep job but if there is minimal amount of dust and no rotor/caliper noise it will be worth every penny.I hope to get the Beast out tomorrow.It is still on jack stands so if nothing else I will put the wheels and battery back in and run her in the garage.I took pictures for those of you that will do it them selves.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts