Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California and am looking to buy a new 2007 Shelby. The best price I can find is out of state. I found one I want but I am concerned about the emissions. According to the order guide, California cars need to be ordered with the California Emission System (Code 422). Because this is not a California car, this option was not ordered. In researching this, I found that the emission sticker under the hood (attached) apprears to say the the car I am considering buying would be legal in California. Can anyone give me some insight on this ? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in California and am looking to buy a new 2007 Shelby. The best price I can find is out of state. I found one I want but I am concerned about the emissions. According to the order guide, California cars need to be ordered with the California Emission System (Code 422). Because this is not a California car, this option was not ordered. In researching this, I found that the emission sticker under the hood (attached) apprears to say the the car I am considering buying would be legal in California. Can anyone give me some insight on this ? Thanks
Unless I'm mistaken, all '07 Shelby GT500s are 50 state legal & that includes sunny California........PC

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

Go for it.Its legal anywhere here(US).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yup, these cars all have CA emissions stuff on 'em.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hello '07, just thought I'd say hello. How's the red beast working for you. Still waiting for my 'keeper". later......PC

Whats happening?The beast is put away for winter!It will be a different beast in the spring.Can't wait!..........................07...................................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input, you guys are great ! I will check with the California DMV on Monday just to make sue everything is good to go.:)

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
crazy freakin liberals with their California Emission Systems

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My beast will be driven weather permitting. I have noticed that the trani does not like the colder weather. Shifts are a little rough going into gear, almost as if there are no synchros, until the trani warms up. Has anyone else noticed this? I have also noticed after about 800 miles that Boost comes in without necessasrily stomping on it. It is more obvious throughout acceleration. She will see the garage and California dust cover for when the white stuff falls. I too will be looking forward to CAI and tunes once all results are in from the major players. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am a little surprised guys, I live in Chicago and while temperatures have dropped I am not ready to put her away. It might be that I only have had mine for a very brief period of time but my way of looking at it is to take the car out during nice days and once that the first snowfall comes along the dreaded salt comes with it and that is when I will put mine away. I dont ever want my baby to be near that salt but I dont see nothing wrong with taking a little cruise during cold weather after all the cars do have a heater. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too would have kept driving until the snow flies but the car is being stored at a place that specializes in storing classic cars and it is about 15 miles from where I live so I wasn't going to take the risk of having it snow and then driving through the slush and salt to get to the storage unit. I have no problems driving when it is cold out but this car will never see snow or salt. I'm just playing it safe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GMM...Are you going to have to pay sales tax in the state in which you are considering purchasing your GT500? Once you bring the car to CA and register it there, you will get hit with an additional dose of sales tax at whatever rate the county in which you live charges...A double dose of tax and an ADM (if you are paying one) could be hard to swallow...just something to think about...:eek:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
GMM...Are you going to have to pay sales tax in the state in which you are considering purchasing your GT500? Once you bring the car to CA and register it there, you will get hit with an additional dose of sales tax at whatever rate the county in which you live charges...A double dose of tax and an ADM (if you are paying one) could be hard to swallow...just something to think about...:eek:
Sales tax is usually paid in the state in which you register the vehicle not the state in which you purchase it. There may be some local transfer taxes that apply but these are usualy minor in relation to sales tax.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sales tax is usually paid in the state in which you register the vehicle not the state in which you purchase it. There may be some local transfer taxes that apply but these are usualy minor in relation to sales tax.
I wasn't exactly sure how this worked for other states. I don't think you can get a new car in CA w/o paying sales tax, even if all you are doing is taking delivery and then moving to AZ or otherwise. I think the sales tax still has to be paid...its part of the new car titling process for the selling dealership...otherwise its not considered a sale.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I wasn't exactly sure how this worked for other states. I don't think you can get a new car in CA w/o paying sales tax, even if all you are doing is taking delivery and then moving to AZ or otherwise. I think the sales tax still has to be paid...its part of the new car titling process for the selling dealership...otherwise its not considered a sale.
I am not exactly sure how all the states work in relation to sales tax, but normaly in motor vehicle sales, if a vehicle is to be registered in another state, the tax is paid in the state in which it is registered. If all vehicles were to pay sales tax in the state of origination or point of sale in which the dealership was located this would create some inventory transfer problems between dealerships. This is a good point ShelbyWise but I believe in most states it should not be a problem. If it is you may want to consider having a dealer to dealer transfer to the state in which you reside to circumvent this problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't see how you could title the car in CA if you aren't a resident and don't have a CA driver's. I know you can't in Texas.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I don't see how you could title the car in CA if you aren't a resident and don't have a CA driver's. I know you can't in Texas.
The question is not titling the car but at what point is sales tax paid. In the state in which you purchase it or the state in which you register it, or both? Example: A NYS resident purchases a new vehicle from a dealership in the state of NJ. He pays sales tax in the state of NY, the state the vehicle is registered in, not NJ the state in which the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle would be titled in the state of NY, the state it was registered in, even though the vehicle was purchased in NJ. The state in which the vehicle is to be registered in is key as to what state sales tax is to be paid. The certificate of origin is generated at point of manufacture and would be generated before the titling process takes place.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts