Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
This could be the game changer. 40 yrs ago and beyond it was at the discretion of the officer that your exhaust was too loud. (my opinion) disclaimer, Please feel free to correct , Then after so much uproar the cops started to try to monitor exhaust decibels. After so much opposition by offenders as to the training , equipment and methods used that got most off in court, most or all police threw there hands up and gave up being able to control it anymore.

But by introducing a bonifide agency that can measure decibel output in a controlled enviroment could raise the B.A.R. pun intended.

But then I guess people will just remove the loud exhaust before going to the B.A.R. and then re-install after the test.

Seems to me to be a huge revenue potential here?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But then I guess people will just remove the loud exhaust before going to the B.A.R. and then re-install after the test.
The way I understand it from reading more on the subject elsewhere, instead of the old “fix it” ticket that resulted in 0 fine if the problem was corrected, you now get hit with a $1k ticket period. The law also makes cutouts illegal.

I’m sure just having my Borla S mufflers would be in violation in CA now.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I doubt that the fine will stick because once again the officers judgement will be in jeopardy as to what is too loud?

But as to the officer questioning the loudness and demanding a measurement by an accredited Lab. I think might be a good idea.

Loud exhausts are fine... As to the "Piss off the neighbors" mentality be it sound system or exhaust, I think has gotten a bit out of control.

There is loud and there is obnoxiously loud, but there it is again right? who's loud enough and who's too loud???

But will we ever return to respecting your fellow man or woman's right to enjoy peaceful existence?? I think the ship has sailed.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
" January 1st, 2019 California enacted Assembly Bill AB1824 "
1 January 2019 - free health care for illegals !
I would like to know what happens if a car with a " stock " factory exhaust gets a fine, does the Mfg. pony up the $$$$$ ??

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
It will never get changed no matter how much it gets petitioned. It really sucks because I love this state for everything it offers with the exception of its politics.
I can agree with the obnoxious exhaust level being frowned on. There needs to be a cap on sound. basically any car with a mildly aggressive exhaust will wear every bit of this law.
Looks like I better park the Shelby until I get some Prius exhaust for it.
I got pulled for mud flaps so I know I’ll get pulled for exhaust. I better spend that $1000 on quieter mufflers before I have to give it to the state.

·
#1 Mike!
8,916 Posts
It seems to me this bill will be challenged in court quite quickly. Fining someone for stock exhaust from the factory, with no modifications, seems to be a lawyer's delight! If all LEOs
started writing ERO's for loud exhaust, especially the Harleys (sorry Harley fans!), they'd be on indefinite medical leave for acute carpal tunnel syndrome!!! Where else but in California!

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
pretty sure manufacturers have to abide by the federal decibel output limits on the books, but maybe they have been pushing the envelope the past few years?

Definatley going for the aftermarket installs here, problem is now there is so much commerace in jobs and income and small business from tuner shops that there will be much opposition to any enforcement getting the upper hand.

If AOC gets further into the political arena we will all be mandated to drive electric vehicles in 10 yrs anyway! LOL

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I live in a state that tries to outdo California on most issues and matches it when it can't.

Our state is heavily dominated by one party. That party HATES cars. They know that the way to purge the earth of the vermin that are cars is to do it by a thousand cuts.

Taxes, fees, penalties, automated enforcement, removing usage infrastructure from the grid and on and on.

Our State Supreme Court and the 9th court district (includes California) is 100% owned by that same party. You will not prevail unless you can afford (financially) to move a legal challenge beyond and onto the federal Supreme Court. I would be surprised if anyone even attempted to challenge this.

Hopefully this disease doesn't come to your state soon.

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Between this and the new gun laws, my wife and I have been looking at other states to move too. Who wants visitors!?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts