Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
In two words: the weather.

Those of us that live in the lower two-thirds of the California coast (up to probably 100 miles inland) enjoy a Mediterranean climate, comprising a fair amount of the world's such climate outside of its namesake; the only other areas are part of the Chilean coast, a small bit of South Africa and a large chunk of the southern coast of Australia (the sum of all of this area might fit inside of the state of California). I think most of the population of California lives in this region.

This means we get to drive our cars the equivalent of 24/7 about 48 weeks (maybe 50 weeks with the current drought) a year; and no bugs, humidity, rarely excessive heat, etc. Even when it does rain the roads are dry in a few hours once the sun hits them. Thus we get to enjoy our stock vehicles almost nonstop during the year.

Jay Leno commented that the GT500 in its latest iteration is as "good as it gets" with OEM equipment without aftermarket items that break emission rules (I suspect he meant both federal and state laws). This comment was instrumental in my choosing the 2021 GT500 and I give thanks daily that California always it to be sold as is (albeit with "50 states emissions" required) and I never expect to alter it in any way.

I will gladly drive my OEM-equipped GT500 for weeks on end while others wait for weather to clear.
Very well put! I love California regardless. I wouldn’t change it for anything. Not as bad as people seem to think.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The article did mention CARB approved tuned and gear as being accepted.
If you have a CARB sticker california has to except it.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
221 Posts
I do nothing to pass ( N.J. ) inspection, other than show up every 2 years.
Plugging into the OBDII port tells the machine all it needs to know..
Some owners go to a gas station or dealership & pay for inspection,..................free @ the state sites..

Sticker in the window? that looks stupid. Not your fault man but come on NJ. Stickers should be the owners choice not the state.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Very well put! I love California regardless. I wouldn’t change it for anything. Not as bad as people seem to think.
Ya it's worse. State is beautiful but taxes fuel prices and p[olitics have turned my state in to a sh** hole. sales tax in my county just went to 10.5%. Tages for my 07 GT500 went up to $266 and smog was another $50. If I gould get my wife to move, I would move to the tundra of Montana. Weather has nothing to do with how beautiful the state is when we lock down and mask up again.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sticker in the window? that looks stupid. Not your fault man but come on NJ. Stickers should be the owners choice not the state.
TX does the same thing. It's the registration sticker as opposed to putting it on the license plate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How long before other states enforce this? Here is a list of the states that follow CA emission standards and CARB:
Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.[5][6][7] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
If you have a CARB sticker california has to except it.
LOL this is Commiefornia we’re talking about. Just cause you have a CARB sticker doesn’t mean they won’t check the tune. I wouldn’t trust them any farther then I could throw them.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
How long before other states enforce this? Here is a list of the states that follow CA emission standards and CARB:
Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.[5][6][7] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.
From reading threads on other sites, Ca. does visual inspections & looks for CARB stickers / documentation. Currently New Jersey just plugs into the OBDII port & calls it a day..

·
Registered
221 Posts
LOL this is Commiefornia we’re talking about. Just cause you have a CARB sticker doesn’t mean they won’t check the tune. I wouldn’t trust them any farther then I could throw them.
They look for the sticker which is guarded like fort knox so if you have a CARB sticker than they cant deny toe mod and the car should pass smog. If the modification is CARB legal than they have to pass it by law. It would appear that you have to prove that your product is CARB legal before they will allow you to get a sticker to put on your produck. JLT doesnt have a CARB sticker for there CAI so I have to put the stock air box on the car for smog. Which is stupid because it's just like the stock tube except for the filter.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
They look for the sticker which is guarded like fort knox so if you have a CARB sticker than they cant deny toe mod and the car should pass smog. If the modification is CARB legal than they have to pass it by law. It would appear that you have to prove that your product is CARB legal before they will allow you to get a sticker to put on your produck. JLT doesnt have a CARB sticker for there CAI so I have to put the stock air box on the car for smog. Which is stupid because it's just like the stock tube except for the filter.
All well and good but let’s say you have a whipple on your car and it’s CARB approved. How will they know if you’re using the whipple tune or if you’ve modified it? Just cause you have a CARB legal part doesn’t mean you’ll pass their sniffer test or their ECU tune check ;)

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
So far up here in Mendocino no smog and CCW's are easy to qualify - that and the beauty of the place (I have several "day trips" to the coast and back!)

Minus side is pot is all around and mostly illegal and then come the tweekers..

·
Registered
2007 Shelby Super Snake 07SS0271
8 Posts
Ya it's worse. State is beautiful but taxes fuel prices and p[olitics have turned my state in to a sh** hole. sales tax in my county just went to 10.5%. Tages for my 07 GT500 went up to $266 and smog was another $50. If I gould get my wife to move, I would move to the tundra of Montana. Weather has nothing to do with how beautiful the state is when we lock down and mask up again.
Art, I live in Castro Valley. I am in the same boat as you. I cannot get my wife to move. All my friends that made their wives move are single now.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby Super Snake 07SS0271
8 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. I have had the State confiscate two trucks from me. A 2000 Ford F750 with 20,000 miles on it and a 2005 F450 with 15,000 miles. In both cases the DMV would no longer issue registration unless a 2010 or later motor was installed in the truck. No one does that because you cant get the ECU to accept the new engine. I had to sell both perfectly good trucks out of state. Now they are going after my Bobcat tractor and my Cat Excavator. $10,000 per day fines and jail time. One can rape and murder children in this state and walk out of jail the same day with no bail, but if I kill an animal or pollute the air I go to jail for months to years. Yeah it is time to go.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So far up here in Mendocino no smog and CCW's are easy to qualify - that and the beauty of the place (I have several "day trips" to the coast and back!)

Minus side is pot is all around and mostly illegal and then come the tweekers..
Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

Also, we encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly.
You hit the nail on the head. I have had the State confiscate two trucks from me. A 2000 Ford F750 with 20,000 miles on it and a 2005 F450 with 15,000 miles. In both cases the DMV would no longer issue registration unless a 2010 or later motor was installed in the truck. No one does that because you cant get the ECU to accept the new engine. I had to sell both perfectly good trucks out of state. Now they are going after my Bobcat tractor and my Cat Excavator. $10,000 per day fines and jail time. One can rape and murder children in this state and walk out of jail the same day with no bail, but if I kill an animal or pollute the air I go to jail for months to years. Yeah it is time to go.
That’s CRAZY! :eek:

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
795 Posts
I agree that this state flat out sucks, but something is not adding up here. I have an '07 F-150 with a 4.6L engine with 189,000+ miles on it and it passes smog every single time without a problem.

Why would they go after your Bobcat and Cat if they cannot be registered as streetable? What's next. No more drag racing unless they pass a smog test? That's just plain ludicrous.

·
Registered
07 GT500 / Driver unbeaten at PIR track / 650RWHP / Jones Racing custom upgrades
34 Posts
In case anyone missed it we have been sold out by the car manufacturers. Where do you think the EPA received their information from?

The American car culture is a big obstacle to moving on with electric cars. And this is what I think is going on.

Say you want to accomplish five things simultaneously.

1. Remove competition that is making billions selling car parts you also sell.

2. Convince everyone electric cars are cool and gasoline engines are bad.

3. Fulfill promises made to voting liberals who would rather eat tofu than drive a fast car.

4. Get yourself some tax breaks to tool up for the big electric car technology wars.

5. Repair your reputation as a pollution giant.

Sound tough? Not for these guys.

How about this, "We just tell everyone how these hot rod fanatics are really environmental criminals that we must stop before they ruin our planet with their reckless hobby."

Making the old Hot Rod culture look bad will absolutely help the new electric car market thrive. Manipulating public attitudes to sell a product is nothing new. Similar to the way we reinvented how we look at marijuana so a new drug market could emerge. Quite clever actually.

The car manufacturing industry has been one of the biggest creators of pollution in history. And now they will claim the electric car is their conscientious effort to become "responsible stewards" for the planet. WOW amazing transformation.

If you hurry down to the good ole boy club you can just see the congressman, the car manufacturer and the EPA agent leaving the dinner table, with a slap on the back. Things are changing in this country alright, and it doesn’t matter what state you live in.

You have to hand it to these wrinkly old cigar smokers; they would stab their old friends in the back just to grab a shinier penny.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
All well and good but let’s say you have a whipple on your car and it’s CARB approved. How will they know if you’re using the whipple tune or if you’ve modified it? Just cause you have a CARB legal part doesn’t mean you’ll pass their sniffer test or their ECU tune check ;)
I just had mine smoged and they didn't do the sniffer test. Guy never got in the car. It just sat there and idled. He never stepped on the gas a single time. He just looked for all the smog stuff. I am not sure how any of this tuner crap is going to play out. To many variables.Not sure they can tell if you have a approved tune from Ford for the whipple. This is where the issues may come from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had mine smoged and they didn't do the sniffer test. Guy never got in the car. It just sat there and idled. He never stepped on the gas a single time. He just looked for all the smog stuff. I am not sure how any of this tuner crap is going to play out. To many variables.Not sure they can tell if you have a approved tune from Ford for the whipple. This is where the issues may come from.
Passenger cars older than the year 2000 get the sniffer test, newer than 2000 just get a visual and the tech checks that there is no check engine light, codes, or pending codes, plus now checking stock or CARB approved computer calibration.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,514 Posts
Here in Idaho we've had a huge influx of people from CA because they've had enough of the ridiculous regulations and policies in CA. The vast majority in my subdivision and others that I know who left CA are conservatives that just couldn't take the craziness anymore. For a long time I've not understood how the politicians could ruin CA so badly if there are that many people who don't like what's happening. Now I've pretty much resigned myself to thinking there are still a lot of radical liberals in that state, and with so many conservatives leaving, the percentage of the population left behind that's radically liberal may be increasing. I don't know if that's true, and I've written off the state to the point where I'm not really interested in researching this theory. I DO feel sorry for all the reasonable people (conservative or liberal) that live in CA.

·
Registered
07 GT500 / Driver unbeaten at PIR track / 650RWHP / Jones Racing custom upgrades
34 Posts
After 33 years I moved North and never had a regret except for long trips to see my family that remains there. The tax laws in CA can break any person or company, big or small. You pay tax on every single transaction … and I mean on everything. Not just income tax! …. "You pay to play in CA."

Just follow a cars life in CA and if its sold enough times CA will collect more tax on that car than the entire value of the car. It's a fact. It's called Sales tax! I went to Oregon because there was no sales tax. I bought my 2007 GT500 and paid zero sales tax. The same car in CA was another $6,000!

Pollution regulation is of course needed. But now it's being used to gain control of what we are allowed to drive in the future and the present.

Ironically after 20 years away I have noticed these same policies growing everywhere in the western US. But I still believe these changes are not coming from any one state. These changes are directly from our congress and the companies they represent.

Drive hard drive fast and make everyday last. That's what I am going to do! Believe that!
(y)

41 - 60 of 62 Posts