Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
It boggles the mind how some places get so damn expensive. For instance, I have a 2400 sq/ft house with a 3-car garage in NW Florida. In 2015 I paid $249K for it. Anywhere south of Redding California and it’s a $1mil house. Same for many other cities and states but come on man!

Reactions: The Bone

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m also curious how they’re going to know. Do they have a copy of every ECU file for every model to compare it to? Or are they looking at the flash counter? If they are, how can they tell it’s an aftermarket tune?
So much government overreach it’s ridiculous.
Good question. I imagine that since a smog legal custom tune is the only legal thpe of tune you can run, then CARB is probably requiring some sort of embedded coding on the tune file to ID it as legal. I am sure they have it figured out. Gonna SUCK. Lets say you decide to install larger injectors, smaller pulley, etc ( stuff the inspector will not notice). Then you have a custom tune to make it all run right. Then you gotta go pass smog, so, you reflash the stock ( legal) tune. The smog tech goes to start her up..wham, you fail cause it wont run right, probably will have a check engine light, etc. kinda stuck. So gotta reinstall all stock equip to pass. This is gonna kill off much of What is left of the tuners out there. The super smart companies knew this was coming and, super luck for us GT500 guys, are starting to make matched power upgrade packages, with a custom tune, such as VMP. I think we will see more of this. Hold on tight...

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
I've never spent any time in CA so I can only go by what I see and hear. The weather looks absolutely perfect - warm and dry. I've spent some time in similar type climates around the world and I do envy the weather. With every passing year in GA and the older I get, the humidity gets harder and harder to take. The scenery in CA looks gorgeous -- mountains, beaches, twisty roads, lakes (well, that's another topic (water/drought), etc. -- all good. The primary deterrent for me is the politics in CA -- on the opposite end of the spectrum for me personally.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
I saw an article explaining the process. It looks at the flash counter and if it’s more than 1 it will compare the tune file to a known OEM file with a little leeway for production variances. So, if you’re on an aftermarket tune, you’ll need to reflash back to stock and clear any codes. For those who are heavily modified and the car won’t run on OEM tune you’re pretty much S.O.L. unless you’re willing to pay an illegal shop to “pass” you.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I saw an article explaining the process. It looks at the flash counter and if it’s more than 1 it will compare the tune file to a known OEM file with a little leeway for production variances. So, if you’re on an aftermarket tune, you’ll need to reflash back to stock and clear any codes. For those who are heavily modified and the car won’t run on OEM tune you’re pretty much S.O.L. unless you’re willing to pay an illegal shop to “pass” you.
Using my 2011 as an example, I have a CARB compliant 2.9L Whipple kit from Ford Racing with their ProCal tune on the car. It would show a flashed tune, but the package should be legal.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
795 Posts
I've never spent any time in CA so I can only go by what I see and hear. The weather looks absolutely perfect - warm and dry. I've spent some time in similar type climates around the world and I do envy the weather. With every passing year in GA and the older I get, the humidity gets harder and harder to take. The scenery in CA looks gorgeous -- mountains, beaches, twisty roads, lakes (well, that's another topic (water/drought), etc. -- all good. The primary deterrent for me is the politics in CA -- on the opposite end of the spectrum for me personally.
The weather here used to be a lot more manageable, but every summer it seams to get hotter and more humid, not as dry as you might think, at least not in SoCal. I've seen it 117° under my patio cover just a year or so ago and don't forget we have smog up the ass, of course all caused by the ICE because nothing else can cause it right? It may be a nice place to visit, but I don't think you would like to live out here given all of the negative stuff going on behind the scenes. Oh and don't forget the massive forest fires we have every year and lack of rain that puts us in drought conditions every year. Looks can be, and in this case, are very deceiving. The grass is always greener on the other side, but in this case I believe it to be true. Our politicians and politics, well that's another story.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Using my 2011 as an example, I have a CARB compliant 2.9L Whipple kit from Ford Racing with their ProCal tune on the car. It would show a flashed tune, but the package should be legal.
I doubt it would be in this state, Ford certified or not.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I doubt it would be in this state, Ford certified or not.
It did come with a CARB sticker, but who knows for sure. I should not have to worry about it in TX, but if I were to ever sell the car, it might be even more attractive to a CA buyer.

Reactions: fletchffletch

·
Registered
795 Posts
For those who are heavily modified and the car won’t run on OEM tune you’re pretty much S.O.L. unless you’re willing to pay an illegal shop to “pass” you.
Even most illegal shops won't "pass" your cah, if you have been kicked out of the system by the smog station computer because it says that you have to go to a referee station, where they will look at everything. I am S.O.L. at the moment so just one more reason to leave.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It did come with a CARB sticker, but who knows for sure. I should not have to worry about it in TX, but if I were to ever sell the car, it might be even more attractive to a CA buyer.
I am sure the laws will be more stringent than ever in the future out here so I would not bet on that one.

Hell, I tried to get my daughters bone stock 2008 VW Jetta smogged and the computer kicked out a paper that said "Not Ready" with a bunch of things on it. So I asked the smog tech what it was and he told me that the car has to be driven 60-100 MPH at varying speeds to remedy this and then it will be ready. All because it has not been driven much lately and I have not done so yet. What kind of BS is this?

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am sure the laws will be more stringent than ever in the future out here so I would not bet on that one.

Hell, I tried to get my daughters bone stock 2008 VW Jetta smogged and the computer kicked out a paper that said "Not Ready" with a bunch of things on it. So I asked the smog tech what it was and he told me that the car has to be driven 60-100 MPH at varying speeds to remedy this and then it will be ready. All because it has not been driven much lately and I have not done so yet. What kind of BS is this?
That isn’t CA specific. We have that same thing in TX. We have emissions testing. You can have 1 sensor “not ready.” Any more than that and you have to complete a drive cycle to reset the sensors.

It happened to me:

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
The article did mention CARB approved tuned and gear as being accepted.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
795 Posts
That isn’t CA specific. We have that same thing in TX. We have emissions testing. You can have 1 sensor “not ready.” Any more than that and you have to complete a drive cycle to reset the sensors.

It happened to me:

I am surprised it is not CA specific like most everything else. So that did the trick for you?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am surprised it is not CA specific like most everything else. So that did the trick for you?
Yes it did and I learned a lesson about not removing the battery from a low-mile car.

Reactions: BostonDave

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue
92 Posts
I saw this article come out a few days ago. I'm in Colorado, this state seems to follow whatever California does when it comes to emissions. I recently learned that you cannot buy an EPA certified catalytic convertor to install on an EPA certified car. It HAS to be a CARB certified cat (3x the cost) no matter if the vehicle is EPA or CARB certified from the factory ( I ended up installing an EPA cat, found a place in Canada that would ship one to Colorado). I just installed a 2.8LC Kenne Bell on my 2010, like Tim it came as a CARB certified kit, with a KB tune and a CARB sticker. I'm not worried about passing emissions with this set up. I would like to eventually do a Lund remote tune as I think the KB tune leaves a lot of power on the table. I figure I can just load the KB tune a month or so before emission testing and ensure the monitors are all set (they are currently all set with the KB tune), then just load the Lund tune afterwards. There are always ways around this crap.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
I’m also curious how they’re going to know. Do they have a copy of every ECU file for every model to compare it to? Or are they looking at the flash counter? If they are, how can they tell it’s an aftermarket tune?
So much government overreach it’s ridiculous.
It's how the tune is developed, " The tuner has to use the original As Built PCM strategy code. "

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The weather here used to be a lot more manageable, but every summer it seams to get hotter and more humid, not as dry as you might think, at least not in SoCal. I've seen it 117° under my patio cover just a year or so ago and don't forget we have smog up the ass, of course all caused by the ICE because nothing else can cause it right? It may be a nice place to visit, but I don't think you would like to live out here given all of the negative stuff going on behind the scenes. Oh and don't forget the massive forest fires we have every year and lack of rain that puts us in drought conditions every year. Looks can be, and in this case, are very deceiving. The grass is always greener on the other side, but in this case I believe it to be true. Our politicians and politics, well that's another story.
We keep reading about people fleeing CA because of all of the over the top laws and taxes. We need to have an exit package for those people that requires them to stop voting for those same over the top laws in the state they move to. Why should I be concerned about a plastic straw ending up in the ocean when used in Missouri? Lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
since the question will come up I'll ask it now: does limp mode trigger a smog emission failure caliber code over OBD2? in other words can you return the tune to stock but leave the equipment on and have it tested in limp mode? I don't know that anybody has the answer to it I'm just putting it out there
Nope. Limp mode is a fail. I take mine in and just put the stock air box back on the car. I leave the tune in and the car passes smog just done thursday. I have however put the stock tune in the car and drove it for about 50 miles to get all the sensors to reset. DONT get into the SC and it wont set a light. Thankfully we only have to do it mevery 2 years. Funny thing though. The guy never got into the car except to plug in the machine. Never reved it up never put the thing in the tailpipe. just plugged in the machine. I wonder if the machine could see my tune.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
Nope. Limp mode is a fail. I take mine in and just put the stock air box back on the car. I leave the tune in and the car passes smog just done thursday. I have however put the stock tune in the car and drove it for about 50 miles to get all the sensors to reset. DONT get into the SC and it wont set a light. Thankfully we only have to do it mevery 2 years. Funny thing though. The guy never got into the car except to plug in the machine. Never reved it up never put the thing in the tailpipe. just plugged in the machine. I wonder if the machine could see my tune.
I do nothing to pass ( N.J. ) inspection, other than show up every 2 years.
Plugging into the OBDII port tells the machine all it needs to know..
Some owners go to a gas station or dealership & pay for inspection,..................free @ the state sites..

21 - 40 of 62 Posts