2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: 'cause

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
125 Posts
SoaB. this looks like something lawyers are going to have fun with because I don't think it's enforceable on pre-existing cars that passed smog in the state already this year. and secondly how will they know? this is going to be hell. I don't know how many but at least hundreds of thousands of cars will suddenly not pass smog this year and they won't be legal to drive and most of them might even have original equipment on board.

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
125 Posts
since the question will come up I'll ask it now: does limp mode trigger a smog emission failure caliber code over OBD2? in other words can you return the tune to stock but leave the equipment on and have it tested in limp mode? I don't know that anybody has the answer to it I'm just putting it out there

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
6,087 Posts
… Cali, so progressive of them

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SoaB. this looks like something lawyers are going to have fun with because I don't think it's enforceable on pre-existing cars that passed smog in the state already this year. and secondly how will they know? this is going to be hell. I don't know how many but at least hundreds of thousands of cars will suddenly not pass smog this year and they won't be legal to drive and most of them might even have original equipment on board.
Good luck out there Jon. By the way, the border is open on the neighboring states as well. Time to leave...?

Reactions: 'cause

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
125 Posts
Good luck out there Jon. By the way, the border is open on the neighboring states as well. Time to leave...?
:) well I did say I was happy with the stock engine. I just can't imagine this working I mean what about engine swaps? that agency that handles exceptions is going to be overwhelmed which means nobody will get serviced on their requests for months. bad time if you have a tuned daily driver.

I know some people go through a lot of trouble to pass emissions and then put their car back into its tuned condition irrespective of this new California law. I just don't want to go through all that even if it's just swapping out a pulley and the stock tune, I don't want to put up with that. I would be willing to do the CAI and tune but $900 for... what?...50 hp? pfft.

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
27 Posts
Florida doesn’t have any of that bafoonery. No storing a car for months at a time. Seems like a smart move to me. Get out of Cali. 🍻

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
33,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We could easily get into a big debate about government control vs. personal freedom. CA wants to control you.

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
195 Posts
I’m also curious how they’re going to know. Do they have a copy of every ECU file for every model to compare it to? Or are they looking at the flash counter? If they are, how can they tell it’s an aftermarket tune?
So much government overreach it’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
106 Posts
I’m glad the biggest challenge around here for a “brake tag” is window tint.. one perk of living in Podunk, La

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
27 Posts
I’m glad the biggest challenge around here for a “brake tag” is window tint.. one perk of living in Podunk, La
Yeah, I second that. Most cops down in Florida don’t mess with you to much. I even have tint on my windshield to protect my dash when I’m working, along with my sunshade because it’s brutally hot out. Been pulled over a few times for it, however generally they’re just trying to look for drugs, or weapons. You know how those damn Floridians are. 🥴

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,593 Posts
This will be an issue for some " tooners ", not ones that know what they're doing..

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
22 Posts
The fact car enthusiasts still live in California baffles me. Good luck out there...

I heard about this a couple days ago and I have been needing to look into this more with how stupid the current laws are getting.

·
Premium Member
2021 Shelby GT500 Base
12 Posts
In two words: the weather.

Those of us that live in the lower two-thirds of the California coast (up to probably 100 miles inland) enjoy a Mediterranean climate, comprising a fair amount of the world's such climate outside of its namesake; the only other areas are part of the Chilean coast, a small bit of South Africa and a large chunk of the southern coast of Australia (the sum of all of this area might fit inside of the state of California). I think most of the population of California lives in this region.

This means we get to drive our cars the equivalent of 24/7 about 48 weeks (maybe 50 weeks with the current drought) a year; and no bugs, humidity, rarely excessive heat, etc. Even when it does rain the roads are dry in a few hours once the sun hits them. Thus we get to enjoy our stock vehicles almost nonstop during the year.

Jay Leno commented that the GT500 in its latest iteration is as "good as it gets" with OEM equipment without aftermarket items that break emission rules (I suspect he meant both federal and state laws). This comment was instrumental in my choosing the 2021 GT500 and I give thanks daily that California always it to be sold as is (albeit with "50 states emissions" required) and I never expect to alter it in any way.

I will gladly drive my OEM-equipped GT500 for weeks on end while others wait for weather to clear.

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
343 Posts
I’ll take hot and humid for a few months with an extra helping of freedom thank you. And no personal income taxes. (y) Florida (y) 🇺🇸🌴🌴

·
Premium Member
2021 Shelby GT500 Base
12 Posts
That is the pure beauty of this country (and this particular forum); choices abound and freedom of movement to express them.

I support this forum (including financially) as a "safe space" to voice opinions without argument.

There may be many members that also question the sanity of those of us that love California (for various reasons) in spite of the many "obstacles" to living here; I hope I have explained by opinion and fact the reason some of us are never likely to leave, no matter the circumstances.

I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest (sunny days were the exception), went to graduate school in Austin and my daughter attended USC (the "real" one in Columbia, SC). My preference (for over half my lifetime) is my current location based on those "climate" experiences.

·
Registered
2009 Shelby GT500 Vista Blue/White Stripes
795 Posts
This state is turning into more of a Shit hole everyday. Sometimes I wonder if the weather outweighs all of the Bullshit that this state puts you through. These laws are made mainly to line the pockets of the people/politicians making them and their crony buddies helping them because it's ALL ABOUT the money AND as Tim said, CONTROL. We pay more in gasoline taxes, sales tax, Real Estate taxes, DMV/registration fees and food even costs more out here. The list goes on and on and when a county or the state runs out of money guess what? Yup, that right more taxes. It was much better years ago, but not so anymore and it's only getting worse. I'm ready to move when the time is right which hopefully won't be too much longer.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
989 Posts
Funny, here in the Sip, we don’t have any type of inspections on our cars, open range pretty much.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts