Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 GT500
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for CA legal axle or fatback exhaust? Going on a 2012 GT500 SVTPP Nothing too crazy just to get a little more growl but don’t want to get stuck with a fix it ticket either. Been looking at the Borla Atak, LTH axle-back, Cora Sport and Roush.

Thanks!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for CA legal axle or fatback exhaust? Going on a 2012 GT500 SVTPP Nothing too crazy just to get a little more growl but don’t want to get stuck with a fix it ticket either. Been looking at the Borla Atak, LTH axle-back, Cora Sport and Roush.

Thanks!
I don’t know about California legality or not, but if they have noise limits, don’t get Borla Attaks! I’ve said it many times before, but the best sounding mufflers on a 2011/12 are Borla-S! For earlier years, I recommend Roush Extremes.

If you get long tube headers and Borla Attaks as mentioned above, you might have to worry about Nevada and Oregon laws too... the decibels coming out your ass will be total NASCAR!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Thanks!
Here is how the law is worded:

"95 dbA is the legal limit for vehicle exhaust noise in California. Police officers can “exercise their judgment” in determining if your exhaust noise is over the legal limit. "

So in other words if they "think" it is over the limit they can ticket you. Complete BS as I believe the stock exhaust on a GT350 is already above 95db on cold start (can you imagine at full throttle).

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,332 Posts
Here is how the law is worded:

"95 dbA is the legal limit for vehicle exhaust noise in California. Police officers can “exercise their judgment” in determining if your exhaust noise is over the legal limit. "

So in other words if they "think" it is over the limit they can ticket you. Complete BS as I believe the stock exhaust on a GT350 is already above 95db on cold start (can you imagine at full throttle).
I've been wondering about that too. On sport mode it's pretty damned loud! I'll ask my traffic division LEO if he can scare up a meter to see what it reads.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,676 Posts
What are your thoughts on the GT500KR?
If I’m not mistaken, the KR exhaust is a smaller diameter than the OP’s 2012.

On another note... welcome to the forum! Thanks for engaging in the conversation.

If you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts