Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum but not new to the GT500. I road course mine and have always had a problem with Heat Soaking. I worked with C&R Racing (they make radiators for NASCAR and the Mustang Challenge Race Cars) to first develop a GT500 specific radiator which worked out to be an awesome piece. Then we developed this new Heat Exchanger that uses a NASCAR core and Dual Pass/Dual Puller Fans. My Downstream temperatures dropped dramatically. I went from a Steeda Heat Exchanger at 190 degrees to the C&R with the fans and dropped my IAT2's to 140-145 degrees on average. These are real numbers from on track sessions at Homestead and Sebring with 90+ degree inlet temperatures.

I've done extensive data logging and the unit performs awesome.

Option 1: Complete Kit including Heat Exchanger, Two Fans and Two wiring harnesses, bolts, grommets etc.: Cost $ 675.00 plus shipping

Units Ready to SHIP.

Please send me a PM if you are IN for one and what option. Also post here what your option selection would be. FYI. The wiring kit is TOP of the LINE.

This thread is edited because I am getting responses to pricing that was old. Nov of 2008. Pricing changed as we added extra hoses and changed fans among other changes.

Dactyl

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
What is it wired into?

Is it thermostat controlled?

What factory wiring would need to be cut?

It looks like the fans block a lot of cooling area.

Is this more for a 1/4 mile car? Or did I ask that already? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unit is controlled by a splice or crimp connector that attaches to the white or positive lead to the Heat Exchanger Water Pump. This is the trigger wire. This is the only wire that you attach to and actually don't have to cut. The water comes on immediately so this triggers the fans on right after.

The fans are on the back of the heat exchanger, not the front. These are sucker/puller fans. The fans are made by SPAL. Similar to the fan on the back of your radiator, it pulls air through to cool the fluid passing through it.

I actually road course my car. My sustained horsepower after putting this heat exchanger on was incredible. It works well for both applications. It can help cool the car down in between track sessions or while sitting in the staging lanes in between 1/4 mile passes.

What is it wired into?

Is it thermostat controlled?

What factory wiring would need to be cut?

It looks like the fans block a lot of cooling area.

Is this more for a 1/4 mile car? Or did I ask that already? LOL

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am new to the forum but not new to the GT500. I road course mine and have always had a problem with Heat Soaking. I worked with C&R Racing (they make radiators for NASCAR and the Mustang Challenge Race Cars) to first develop a GT500 specific radiator which worked out to be an awesome piece. Then we developed this new Heat Exchanger that uses a NASCAR core and Dual Pass/Dual Puller Fans. My Downstream temperatures dropped dramatically. I went from a Steeda Heat Exchanger at 190 degrees to the C&R with the fans and dropped my IAT2's to 140-145 degrees on average. These are real numbers from on track sessions at Homestead and Sebring with 90+ degree inlet temperatures.

I've done extensive data logging and the unit performs awesome.

There are going to be three options:

Option 1: Complete Kit including Heat Exchanger, Two Fans and Two wiring harnesses, bolts, grommets etc.: Cost $ 575.00 plus shipping

Option 2: Complete Kit including Heat Exchanger, Two Fans, bolts, grommets etc. (The do it yourself wiring kit scenario) Cost $ 515.00 plus shipping.

Option 3: Complete Heat Exchanger NO FANS Cost $ 455.00 plus shipping.
(for $120 more you get the complete kit, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense when you consider the amount of labor to go back and install the fans and wiring at a later date.

Here's the kicker guys, if I can get 30 or more buyers on this I believe I can get C&R to drop the price a little more. Same scenario as when we did the Radiator group buy. Who the acutal purchase will run through is still being determined but I wanted to get this out there ASAP and get a barometer in interest. Should be ready for Christmas if we get thecommitments going MUY PRONTO!!!

As before it will be a 50/50 deal. 50% deposit. 50% on shipping.

Please send me a PM if you are IN for one and what option. Also post here what your option selection would be. FYI. The wiring kit is TOP of the LINE.

Dactyl
I want one...option #1:zlurking:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Did it increase $100 over night?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That would appear to be the case. I was looking at the same thing yesterday, thinking this would be the way I was going to go considering the small(ish) premium over the AFCO unit. Now? Not so much on the "small" premium. lol Oh well, snooze ya lose I guess right?

So now we'll either pay $675... or buy the AFCO. *shrugs* Free market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dactyl. Will you have to get a look at a 2010 to know if the C&R Heat exchanger fits? I have to assume it should, since there appears to be few changes to the engine.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I installed mine this week. A very nice piece of equipment! It pulls a lot of air. I can see where it will really help with the heat soak especially at low speed street driving or in the the lanes at the strip while your waiting your turn to run.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed mine this week. A very nice piece of equipment! It pulls a lot of air. I can see where it will really help with the heat soak especially at low speed street driving or in the the lanes at the strip while your waiting your turn to run.
Thanks for posting up WCA. To date, I have not had one person who was unhappy with the product and/or the quality. Enjoy running cool!

Van

1 - 17 of 17 Posts