Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am gonna buy a Shelby GT500. The modell is a 2013-2014 Shelby Mustang GT500 with 5.8l Trinity engine. I would like to ask a few question ab.out ioping someone can answer it and help me.
1. question: I saw the differences between the '13 and '14 GT 500, are these important? Or irrelevant for the driver?
2. question: SVT Performance Package is how important, especially the adjustable Bilstein suspensions? Will the adjustable Bilstein suspensions go wrong earlier?
3. question: Do I have to have SVT TRack Pack if I sometimes might race? How important is it for normal using and only sometimes little racing?

THanks,
Alex

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,723 Posts
Hello!
I am gonna buy a Shelby GT500. The modell is a 2013-2014 Shelby Mustang GT500 with 5.8l Trinity engine. I would like to ask a few question ab.out ioping someone can answer it and help me.
1. question: I saw the differences between the '13 and '14 GT 500, are these important? Or irrelevant for the driver?
2. question: SVT Performance Package is how important, especially the adjustable Bilstein suspensions? Will the adjustable Bilstein suspensions go wrong earlier?
3. question: Do I have to have SVT TRack Pack if I sometimes might race? How important is it for normal using and only sometimes little racing?

THanks,
Alex
Welcome to the forum Alex! You’ve come to a good place for these cars. The 13 & 14 are essentially the same car with only minor tweaks. Both are equally awesome.

As for the SVTPP... all depends on what you plan to do. If you are going to hit a road course, it might be a nice feature. If not, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you are up for introducing yourself, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,612 Posts
Welcome to the site.
1. Are the differences important TO YOU ?
2. Would depend on how you plan to use the car. I didn't order it on my 14, but did do LCA's, UCA, & an adjustable panhard bar.
3. Another case of how YOU use the car....................good luck with your decision(s)..

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,733 Posts
Hello!
Welcome, Alex! I echo most of what's already been said, but I'll add a little more...

1. I saw the differences between the '13 and '14 GT 500, are these important? Or irrelevant for the driver?
What specific differences did you see? I'm not aware of very many. Some are cosmetic (e.g., a couple of exterior color, door sill plates, and a dash display graphic). Launch Control was limited (from 2500-5200RPM to 3000-4500RPM, IIRC), the clutch may have been tweaked (I know '13 and '14 owners who've experience premature clutch failure and others from both groups who haven't), and seat heaters became standard with Base (not Recaro) seats. Neither comes with brake cooling ducts, erroneously listed in some literature.

2. SVT Performance Package is how important, especially the adjustable Bilstein suspensions? Will the adjustable Bilstein suspensions go wrong earlier?
The biggest things SVTPP provides are Bilstein adjustable dampers, a TORSEN limited-slip rear differential, and access to SVTTP. Wheel differences are cosmetic only, and tires were identical. IMO, that makes it nice to have, but not required, for your intended use. Strictly speaking, there's probably more to go wrong with the adjustable dampers. FWIW, however, I've read more reports of loose connections on the dampers than premature failure of them.

3. Do I have to have SVT TRack Pack if I sometimes might race? How important is it for normal using and only sometimes little racing?
The short answer is NO. The longer answer is that SVTTP provides additional cooling (i.e., external engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, and differential cooler), which is always a good thing. IMO, that makes it another nice to have, but not a requirement, for your intended use.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
388 Posts
Welcome! I would agree with everything mentioned above. If youre just going to cruise around and not get too spirited or track it, then the TP/PP aren't needed. I have both and do use them. The adjustable steering/suspension do make a difference. In full sport mode, the suspension is much stiffer and steering is much tighter, which i like for when i want to open it up a bit, but I dont usually drive in sport mode. All the extra cooling features aren't neccesary unless you intend on using them like say on a track or on a twisty country road.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
452 Posts
Welcome, Alex! I echo most of what's already been said, but I'll add a little more...

1. I saw the differences between the '13 and '14 GT 500, are these important? Or irrelevant for the driver?
What specific differences did you see? I'm not aware of very many. Some are cosmetic (e.g., a couple of exterior color, door sill plates, and a dash display graphic). Launch Control was limited (from 2500-5200RPM to 3000-4500RPM, IIRC), the clutch may have been tweaked (I know '13 and '14 owners who've experience premature clutch failure and others from both groups who haven't), and seat heaters became standard with Base (not Recaro) seats. Neither comes with brake cooling ducts, erroneously listed in some literature.

2. SVT Performance Package is how important, especially the adjustable Bilstein suspensions? Will the adjustable Bilstein suspensions go wrong earlier?
The biggest things SVTPP provides are Bilstein adjustable dampers, a TORSEN limited-slip rear differential, and access to SVTTP. Wheel differences are cosmetic only, and tires were identical. IMO, that makes it nice to have, but not required, for your intended use. Strictly speaking, there's probably more to go wrong with the adjustable dampers. FWIW, however, I've read more reports of loose connections on the dampers than premature failure of them.

3. Do I have to have SVT TRack Pack if I sometimes might race? How important is it for normal using and only sometimes little racing?
The short answer is NO. The longer answer is that SVTTP provides additional cooling (i.e., external engine oil cooler, transmission cooler, and differential cooler), which is always a good thing. IMO, that makes it another nice to have, but not a requirement, for your intended use.
My 2013 has the base seats with the heat switches. Was this an option or standard on the 2013?

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,733 Posts
My 2013 has the base seats with the heat switches. Was this an option or standard on the 2013?
Heated seats were option 51S in '13 MY, but became standard in the '14 MY. They were unavailable either MY with option 88Q, Recaro leather sport seats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts