Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about about any tips or tidbits that would help guide a potential buyer looking to get into a used GT350.

MY to avoid and why.
Best places to look/find a GOOD one.
Weaknesses to be aware of.

General opinions and thoughts.

Im starting some research and dreaming a bit...I'm not gettin' any younger...lol

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,382 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,382 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'd avoid the 16 model year all together. Starting in 17 they consolidated all the different packages and all GT350's came with the track pack coolers.

To my knowledge 17 was the highest number of cars built so you may see some anecdotal information around those being the most likely to consume oil. Personally I think that's just a product of them producing so many cars in 17.

My 18 burns about a quart an oil change with heavy driving. This is expected and normal for the engine. If you get into the 3 to 4 quarts per oil change then you've got a car that has a problem. If you can find a used one that has had the engine replaced, the 2019+ motors are a little better on the inside with the 2020+ motors receiving some additional benefits from the GT500 engine block program as the block casting is shared between the two.

The 19+ also have a revised suspension and interior options, but it will be unlikely to find many of those sitting on the lot.

I found mine on cars.com and went from their with the dealer it was at. You can also check the GT350 specific facebook pages if you're considering buying one from an owner direct as there's usually a new one going up for sale there every week.

In the end I'd try to find a local one you can test drive if possible and think long and hard about how you intend to drive the vehicle. The car drives far more like a european car that needs to be revved to feel fast. Around town at the 1500-2500 rpm range it's a dog, but the engine was never designed to operate there. I never let mine get below 2,000 while driving and often keep it at 2,500 - 3,000 and that keeps the real powerband just a flick of the ankle away. It's not the best commuter with it track ready suspension and on cold days the factory tires will hate life and be very slippery. The cooling system is so good that on 40 degree days it can take me 15 minutes or so to even get the oil upto the 180 degree minimum to allow for use of the full 8,250rpm redline. You can read my post about buying mine to get a good idea of my experience so far with the car.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,081 Posts
Not sure if it was the 18's or 19's, but there were paint issues, paint bubbling on fenders, etc.,..........Ford knows about it.

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,548 Posts
I'm pretty sure from everything I've read that the 19 and 2020 cars share the exact same block as the 500. This has been shown in pics that revealed the additional knock sensor ports.

Kyle touched on a lot of good points. Buying used will all depend on your budget. If budget permits, IMHO, find a used 19'.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This warms my heart to hear this, Mike!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well thanks for the encouragement but just kicking tires at this point...

...but MAN I miss my Shelby...lol

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,073 Posts
Too pricey for my budget......lol
:p Pay no attention to the bald man behind the curtain! We both know he lives to stir the pot! Kyle provided some great guidance. My 2019 has used no oil and I have 5.5K on the car. Fletch is right, the 2019 plus cars share the upgrades of the new GT500 block. You're certainly well off enough to afford a used 2019! Sell the GT and stop Vickie from buying all the crap for the G-Kids and it's easy peezy! I think the oil usage of past cars gets more press than it deserves given the number of cars produced since 2015. I'd go no further back than a 2018 simply because of up-grades. We've both had past GT500's so you'll notice a distinct improvement of comfort and ride quality provided by that great IRS. Sharon even says it rides much nicer than the past GT500's. Short of low end torque, the 350 kicks the previous GT500's to the weeds. I really have no complaint of the lack of low end torque and find the 350 provides all the off the line grunt I need. That would be great if you got back in the fold. It would further alienate someone we hold dear to our hearts! ;):p

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:p Pay no attention to the bald man behind the curtain! We both know he lives to stir the pot! Kyle provided some great guidance. My 2019 has used no oil and I have 5.5K on the car. Fletch is right, the 2019 plus cars share the upgrades of the new GT500 block. You're certainly well off enough to afford a used 2019! Sell the GT and stop Vickie from buying all the crap for the G-Kids and it's easy peezy! I think the oil usage of past cars gets more press than it deserves given the number of cars produced since 2015. I'd go no further back than a 2018 simply because of up-grades. We've both had past GT500's so you'll notice a distinct improvement of comfort and ride quality provided by that great IRS. Sharon even says it rides much nicer than the past GT500's. Short of low end torque, the 350 kicks the previous GT500's to the weeds. I really have no complaint of the lack of low end torque and find the 350 provides all the off the line grunt I need. That would be great if you got back in the fold. It would further alienate someone we hold dear to our hearts! ;):p
Talk about stirring the pot...lol

Regarding selling the GT...that is NOT an option...Vicki will not even entertain that idea. It will stay a Garage Queen and make it out to an occasional car show.

Im somewhat interested in the '19 Bullitt Mustang, any thoughts on that?

I do want my three pedals again!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Bullit is a neat car, but it's a mild upgrade on the GT PP1 really from my understanding althought it does look like it can be had with the magneride suspension if optioned properly. That being said it's not the same calibration as the GT350. I think it's actually a little softer than the Mustang GT PP2. If you're not looking for all out speed it's a great way to get into a magneride equipped modern mustang with all the benefits of the IRS and the hottest 5.0 Coyote motor you can get out of the dealership.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have any comments about the 6 speed transmission in the GT350 and/or the Bullitt.
Does it have any of the similar problem that the GT500 had? Or is it a different trans altogether?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The 2015+ GT and Bullit utilize the standard MT82 transmission that's typically paired with Coyote engines. It's a serviceable transmission that sometimes gets knocked for being weak when paired with forced induction and for having a sloppy shifter.

The GT350 uses a TR3160 which isn't as strong as the outgoing TR6060 from the GT500's and has very specific road course gearing in the 1-5 stack, but in every otherway is considered to be far superior. Shift quality, ability to shift at high rpm, reduced weight. In fact most people never upgrade the factory shifter in the GT350 as the factory unit is so good compared to prior factory Mustang offerings.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I WANT, and what I'm willing to SPEND often conflict me greatly, often increasing my stress, and that induced by my MOSTLY understanding wife of 47 years....LOL
As many of you married folks probably know, TIMING is everything too!
I'm still in the RESEARCH phase to try and determine just HOW far I'm willing to STRAIN my home-life.
Not Quite ready to go as far as I did when I make the DEAL for my 2012 GT500 before I told my wife....LOL I don't know WHAT I was thinking on that one!
Not ready to do that again ......YET!

Thanks for all your feedback and knowledge!

If you have other feedback, please feel free to offer it in this thread.

I will update as/if things progress.....CHEERS!

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
:p Pay no attention to the bald man behind the curtain! We both know he lives to stir the pot! Kyle provided some great guidance. My 2019 has used no oil and I have 5.5K on the car. Evil_E is right, the 2019 plus cars share the upgrades of the new GT500 block. You're certainly well off enough to afford a used 2019! Sell the GT and stop Vickie from buying all the crap for the G-Kids and it's easy peezy! I think the oil usage of past cars gets more press than it deserves given the number of cars produced since 2015. I'd go no further back than a 2018 simply because of up-grades. We've both had past GT500's so you'll notice a distinct improvement of comfort and ride quality provided by that great IRS. Sharon even says it rides much nicer than the past GT500's. Short of low end torque, the 350 kicks the previous GT500's to the weeds. I really have no complaint of the lack of low end torque and find the 350 provides all the off the line grunt I need. That would be great if you got back in the fold. It would further alienate someone we hold dear to our hearts! ;):p
Fixed it for you, Mike. ;)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,073 Posts
The 2015+ GT and Bullit utilize the standard MT82 transmission that's typically paired with Coyote engines. It's a serviceable transmission that sometimes gets knocked for being weak when paired with forced induction and for having a sloppy shifter.

The GT350 uses a TR3160 which isn't as strong as the outgoing TR6060 from the GT500's and has very specific road course gearing in the 1-5 stack, but in every otherway is considered to be far superior. Shift quality, ability to shift at high rpm, reduced weight. In fact most people never upgrade the factory shifter in the GT350 as the factory unit is so good compared to prior factory Mustang offerings.
Again, what Kyle said! My 2019 shifter was a victim of a faulty part that was installed in an unknown number of new 2019 MY's. Thus, rather than wait almost two months for a new one from Ford, some very considerate members surprised me with an MGW shifter to assuage my growing anxiety! Later on I drove another 2019 with the replacement shifter and it was just fine for my expectations. It was a bit smoother than my MGW, but to replace the MGW with the replacement shifter that finally showed up two months later would have been very ingracious of me toward my forum friends! 😊 Now I have a back-up Ford shifter to decorate my garage!

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,548 Posts
It's easy Mike. Get a GT350. Many great points made in here.

To echo a point Kyle made. I love the stock transmission and shifter. I consider it one the of the best I've driven in recent memory. It's precise and loves to be shifted fast and with high rpm. The transmission in the 350 is a bespoke unit only found in the 350. Specifically designed to match the engine rpm capabilities and at the same time be as light weight as possible. The gearing is down right a blast on the street imo.

Stop stressing about it, no one is getting younger here. Regrets suck. Enjoy life and go buy one, you'll be happy you did and thank all of us.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts