Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a newbie to his forum, but not to Mustangs. I have a 1966 GT conv (289 4 speed) and a 2006 GT conv with a Saleen SC. My question is about dealer mark ups. I know the huge debate about that dealers should not be doing it, and I agree... but in order to get a GT500 it seems you gotta pay to play, so I do not want to get into that debate (please). So my question is how much? My dealer has a GT500 they can order for me and they said 15K over sticker. Is that the going rate? or am I getting hosed?
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It really comes down to what YOU are willing to pay. I know folks who paid $20K over MSRP and don't regret it a bit.

In the Denver area, ADMs are still between $10K and $20K over. It kind of depends on where you are too. It seems rural areas have lower ADMs, and places like SoCal are still very high.

Personally, I think $15K over is a bit high, but that's just me.

Welcome to board! You've got a nice stable there. Hope you can land a GT500 at a price you're willing to pay!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Echo the points by rpretzel above and I'll add a few more.
Excellent decision to order a GT500 but $15K over sticker is too much.
Spend an hour or two calling other dealers. Even better, make a personal visit to multiple dealers in person, best done at a time of day/week when the dealers are not too busy.

What I did a year ago was I took a weekday off work and visited about 12 dealers within 100 miles of my home......I introduced myself to the Sales Mgr. at each dealer.... at each dealer I made every Sales Mgr. the same offer of $5K over sticker for a GT500 build/allocation and left my card (Despite the fact that most of the dealers I visited at the time were quoting $15K to $20K premiums if they were willing to specify an ADM $ figure at all).

One Sales Mgr. called me back the next day & we settled on the phone to an ADM about halfway btwn $5K and $10K over. I got off the phone and drove back the same day and left a $1K deposit in exchange for an order sheet with ADM clearly stated, with all out-the-door document fees, tax, title already specified (highly recommend you do this also, getting all the miscellaneous fees in writing at the time the order is placed).

The 08's being second model year and with close to 8000 cars already (?) in circulation on the road or at dealers, in my opinion you should be able to secure a definite contract for 08 build allocation for $5K - $8K over sticker. I would PUSH them to SPECIFY their first GT500 build/allocation
so you won't have to wait nine months like I did. I hope this helps. Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, please keep it coming. I'm sort of trying to find an "average", if there is such a thing, to the mark ups. I know they are all over the place and it all depends on what I want to spend, but I'd dig some info on what others actually paid in regards to ADMs. The 15K over seemed high for me personally, if I could find 5K I'd jump that seems low. If anyone has a dealer they worked with on a GT500 that they would suggest I'd love that info too. I don't care where they are... I have a truck and trailer and will drive for the right deal.:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
The only reason I'm getting my 07 Vert at $8K over MSRP is over the last 6 yeras I have purchased $250,000 in Ford trucks from them!! I just wish it would get here. Now they tell me 6/15/07 but Last I heard, it had not left MI..

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The only reason I'm getting my 07 Vert at $8K over MSRP is over the last 6 yeras I have purchased $250,000 in Ford trucks from them!! I just wish it would get here. Now they tell me 6/15/07 but Last I heard, it had not left MI..
Hang in there, Mobey. It'll come. And it will be more than worth the wait when it does. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, the dealer offering me the car for 15K over is the same dealership I buy my company trucks through. Not 250K worth, but quite a few. I'll start hounding around, maybe I can find one. I just never know who is telling the truth when they say what they got the car for (maybe folks don't walk to talk about it... understandable I guess). Until then at least I've got a GT with a "not stock" powerplant to play with. :) :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
they said 15K over sticker. Is that the going rate? or am I getting hosed?
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike
Mike, if South Carolina is within your range of search and $5k over is acceptable, send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Agreed, the dealer offering me the car for 15K over is the same dealership I buy my company trucks through. Not 250K worth, but quite a few. I'll start hounding around, maybe I can find one. I just never know who is telling the truth when they say what they got the car for (maybe folks don't walk to talk about it... understandable I guess). Until then at least I've got a GT with a "not stock" powerplant to play with. :) :)
5 K over in Pa. Mike. 15 over is a hose job. But it depends on where you are as well. The folks at Concord Ford did sell one for 105K. I personally verified that on the phone with them. And they're asking 125K for there next one.

Go figure :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
for what it's worth, the lowest we sold one for was 8k over, i sold one for 15k over a couple months ago, and our vert went for 18k over

·
Registered
36 Posts
I talked to two dealer one wiith a black/gray and one with the red/silver I bought. The out of town dealer with the black one quoted 10,000 over and the local dealer with the red one quoted 20,000 over. After talking with the our of town dealer and getting a good quote I called the local dealer salesman I had talked to and told him I could buy one at another dealer for 10,000 over and offered him the same it took about 2 minutes to call me back and say we had a deal. 10,000 over seems to be the magic number around here in Southwest Virginia and East Tennesse.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I called around my local area (within 100 miles give or take). Spoke with many and ended up settling for 10K over. Based on what I'm hearing, am I proud of it? No. But it was the best deal out of the ten or so dealerships I went to and I hated the smoke-and-mirror crap I was getting from the other guys. That was then. I'm still waiting on mine. But someday....someday...:)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I confirmed today with my dealer in Atlantic Canada that I'll only be paying the MSRP of $52,999 Canadian (plus taxes and SVT fee) for my 2008 Shelby GT500. :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
You've got that right!

Only a couple of folks on this forum were able to purchase their cars below or at sticker price, but those days are long gone, unless of course, like in your case you happen to work at a dealership.

All the power to you!

:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, I'm a newbie to his forum, but not to Mustangs. I have a 1966 GT conv (289 4 speed) and a 2006 GT conv with a Saleen SC. My question is about dealer mark ups. I know the huge debate about that dealers should not be doing it, and I agree... but in order to get a GT500 it seems you gotta pay to play, so I do not want to get into that debate (please). So my question is how much? My dealer has a GT500 they can order for me and they said 15K over sticker. Is that the going rate? or am I getting hosed?
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike[/QUOT

I paid 10 K over. I felt that was reasonable. Many members got theirs at MSRP. It is what your willing to pay to own one. Ebay is what the market will pay. It goes up and down. 55k is where the bidding stops. These GREEDY dealers don't honor what the market price is and relist it rather than honor the bid price. When they don't honor the bid price they still have to pay Ebay for listing it. they relist and their profit margin begins to deteriate. Basic math. You are in the drivers seat as cash is king period. You got it right that you have to pay to play . The fact that you can order a 2008 puts you in the drivers seat and hang tuff.I did and they dropped it from 25k over to 10 k over and my car was on the lot! Offer them you will pay the average of what the next 10 gt500's sell for on Ebay and see what they say. That is fair. The gt 500 KR is at 100K and up if you can believe it. I will give 20 K over and not a penny more, so I probably won't own 1. Better off buying a 2008 GT500 and supersnaking it for less money and far more HP and probably rarer also.Good luck on your purchase. GGBIW;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm one step closer... just waiting to hear back on what the ADM will be. Lets hope it isn't the 15K figure my local dealership gave me.

Are they building the GT500 for 3 years? or just 2007-2008?

Thanks,
Mike
'06 GT conv.

·
Registered
483 Posts
5 K over in Pa. Mike. 15 over is a hose job. But it depends on where you are as well. The folks at Concord Ford did sell one for 105K. I personally verified that on the phone with them. And they're asking 125K for there next one.

Go figure :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Did you get yours in the Danville area for $5k over?? I am in the Wilkes-Barre area and would be interested if there are more available at that price. My local dealership called yesterday that they got a blue with white stripes in...it sold in an hour for $10k over.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I'm one step closer... just waiting to hear back on what the ADM will be. Lets hope it isn't the 15K figure my local dealership gave me.

Are they building the GT500 for 3 years? or just 2007-2008?

Thanks,
Mike
'06 GT conv.

At least 3 years.Depends on what the market will bare.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts