Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 Silver/Black Stripes
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if anyone has ever discussed this scenario. Since building a 5.8 is so expensive and if you destroy the block you are now out thousands of dollars, so I had this thought. One could buy a 5.4 and build the hell out of it and pull there 5.8 set it aside and probably save thousands of dollars going that route. Am I thinking this right, you wouldn’t be leaving that much power on the table as your only loosing .4 on the engine with all else being equal, boost porting etc. Or am I missing something here. Just a thought I had and felt like throwing it out to the people in this forum that have way more knowledge than I do.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,300 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has ever discussed this scenario. Since building a 5.8 is so expensive and if you destroy the block you are now out thousands of dollars, so I had this thought. One could buy a 5.4 and build the hell out of it and pull there 5.8 set it aside and probably save thousands of dollars going that route. Am I thinking this right, you wouldn’t be leaving that much power on the table as your only loosing .4 on the engine with all else being equal, boost porting etc. Or am I missing something here. Just a thought I had and felt like throwing it out to the people in this forum that have way more knowledge than I do.
From my understanding, the blocks are the same on the outside. The inside is bored out a bit more on the 5.8. It would look the same and you can make insane power with a 5.4! I see no harm/no foul.

Reactions: 2010 Red & White

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,832 Posts
There would only be savings if you used the iron block. The 11-12 aluminum block is just as expensive as the 5.8. You can also sleeve either of the aluminum blocks and use whatever bore diameter you wanted to. If you put an iron block in a 13-14, you may save money on a rebuild, but you'll lose it on the back end selling the car.

Displacement is relative to power. Don't discount the 25 extra cubic inches, especially if the engine is built to take advantage of them. If you're making 2 hp/cu in. it will translate to 50 hp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's numbers you're looking at, remember Sally (my 2014 5.8L sweetheart) makes more torque (631 lb-ft vs 625 lb-ft in the 2020) and is almost 200 lbs lighter than the 2020 version. If the 2020 had a 6 speed manual tranny, it'd abe a great race. But my 3.31:1 rear gear might give a bit away to the 2020's 3.73 gear and when you mix in the dual clutch auto-manual trans of the 2020, the new one would be the winner in the quarter mile. Though, Sally can spin the tires through three gears and sometimes in fourth, I'm not sure how much advantage there'd be in going to a lower final drive gear. I've been driving manual transmission performance cars for 50 years and I can't come close to shifting along side that new Tremec 7 speed DCT.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
If it's numbers you're looking at, remember Sally (my 2014 5.8L sweetheart) makes more torque (631 lb-ft vs 625 lb-ft in the 2020) and is almost 200 lbs lighter than the 2020 version. If the 2020 had a 6 speed manual tranny, it'd abe a great race. But my 3.31:1 rear gear might give a bit away to the 2020's 3.73 gear and when you mix in the dual clutch auto-manual trans of the 2020, the new one would be the winner in the quarter mile. Though, Sally can spin the tires through three gears and sometimes in fourth, I'm not sure how much advantage there'd be in going to a lower final drive gear. I've been driving manual transmission performance cars for 50 years and I can't come close to shifting along side that new Tremec 7 speed DCT.
The DCT in the 2020 is definitely a game changer. From what I’ve witnessed first hand, you need about 900 hp in an S197 GT500 to compete with the 760 hp of the 20. The 20 can stay in boost and crack-off shifts, plus it puts the power to the ground through witchcraft!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're probably right. I'll likely get a 2021 GT500, but I'm keeping Sally....forever. Besides, she needs a brother anyway.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,351 Posts
The DCT in the 2020 is definitely a game changer. From what I’ve witnessed first hand, you need about 900 hp in an S197 GT500 to compete with the 760 hp of the 20. The 20 can stay in boost and crack-off shifts, plus it puts the power to the ground through witchcraft!
What if you had a s197 with a 6r80?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,351 Posts
From my understanding, the blocks are the same on the outside. The inside is bored out a bit more on the 5.8. It would look the same and you can make insane power with a 5.4! I see no harm/no foul.
Actually I had a builder tell me it's the same block. The difference is the piston sleeves. The iron block is different. They say the aluminum is stronger but I'm too old school to believe it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
What if you had a s197 with a 6r80?

That would definitely help! The next big variable would be traction. I raced a much higher horsepower 2013 multiple times and easily got the W every time. My 20 would hook and scoot. His 13 would spin.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,832 Posts
Actually I had a builder tell me it's the same block. The difference is the piston sleeves. The iron block is different. They say the aluminum is stronger but I'm too old school to believe it.
It is the same block. The 5.8 has a few more machining operations performed on it. These blocks have no sleeves, so it's just bored to a larger diameter before the plasma coating is sprayed. The 5.8 also has an additional steam hole for an extra coolant port between the exhaust valves and machining for the oil squirters. The alumimum block has more webbing and thicker decks than the iron block. The iron block is the same block used in millions of light duty trucks and SUVs in 2v, 3v and 4v configurations and I'm sure there's no shortage of cores.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,351 Posts
That would definitely help! The next big variable would be traction. I raced a much higher horsepower 2013 multiple times and easily got the W every time. My 20 would hook and scoot. His 13 would spin.
Interesting being that the 2020 does 10.5 stock and the 6r80 gets you in the 9's

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Interesting being that the 2020 does 10.5 stock and the 6r80 gets you in the 9's

Being on a prepped track with sticky drag tires is a different story. Traction is not limited. I was talking about street tires on the street. Out of the box, the 2020 puts the power down in a way that only a highly modded S197 can achieve.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,351 Posts
True. In that case I would think the IRS would have the advantage of traction on the street over the SRA

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
True. In that case I would think the IRS would have the advantage of traction on the street over the SRA

I don’t give the IRS much credit for the traction... the IRS makes a big difference in handling, especially turning and hitting bumps though. The good traction can be attributed to better factory tires (better compound and wider), a much better traction control system, the DCT (versus dumping the clutch in a manual), drag-mode weight transfer with softening the rear magneride shocks and I’m sure some of it has a bit to do with the suspension geometry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts