Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago waxed the Shelby.

Noted several weks prior that must've come up against a shopping cart or something - rear corner plastic bumper is scratched:flame:

Last week while Waxing, I notice just under Driver's Side GT500 stripe, a tiny red spot size of pin-head. Can't feel it with my finger or fingernail, but won't wash off, buff, off, wax off.... :flame: :flame:

This past weekend, waching car, see a huge bug splatter on front plastic bumper - same as above - won't come off...:flame: :flame: :flame:

Call a good friend who manages a body shop owned by his family. They do great work. Mostly they do commerical stuff though.

Anyway, he suggests Acetone. I try this, still there....

Now, I have 3 blemishes on my daily driver which I've had since 07/07. Probably pretty good for any other car.

Debating taking it in to my friend's shop to have things put right.

(He's been trying to get me to do a SS style hood while i am at it.. I've got no-place to put the stock hood if I do it though. I'd save some $$ by doing it at the same time though... Been looking at those CF hoods, but can't find one with functional Ram-Air. Be nice if someone could direct me to a functional ram-air CF hood...

Once repaired I might want to do the clear car-bra. Too bad I'm already over budget on my electronics/stereo install that's not even started yet (though its starting to look like a small electronics outlet store in our foyer as parts keep coming in :pinklove: )

Any down side to waiting on those blemishes??

TD

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dick, If your even thinking "new hood", I would wait to get the blems fixed....just my 2 penny's worth
joe

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Ahem.

suncoastramairhoods.com

They bought Terry's (ProGlass) hood and are now making it. You can also buy them from Evolution and others.

You don't want true "RAM" air, you want fresh air directly to the filter. Ram air will wig out your mass air sensor and you'll have far more problems that you'd ever want.

There are those of us that have "Terry" hoods on this forum (Cal, Kerry, me and more) and we've all been thrilled with them.

bj

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to call the functional hood other than "ram" air.

Those are fiberglass hood though? how much do they cost?

I could get the blems fixed cheaply since the guy is friend of mine.

Will try WD40. tried the Bug/Tar Meguiar's stuff, Tried Acetone, tried cleaner wax, tried paint cleaner (meguiar's probably really mild stuff).... What have I got to lose at this point...

Thanks again for the help...

TD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
2 weeks ago waxed the Shelby.

Noted several weks prior that must've come up against a shopping cart or something - rear corner plastic bumper is scratched:flame:

Last week while Waxing, I notice just under Driver's Side GT500 stripe, a tiny red spot size of pin-head. Can't feel it with my finger or fingernail, but won't wash off, buff, off, wax off.... :flame: :flame:

This past weekend, waching car, see a huge bug splatter on front plastic bumper - same as above - won't come off...:flame: :flame: :flame:

Call a good friend who manages a body shop owned by his family. They do great work. Mostly they do commerical stuff though.

Anyway, he suggests Acetone. I try this, still there....

Now, I have 3 blemishes on my daily driver which I've had since 07/07. Probably pretty good for any other car.

Debating taking it in to my friend's shop to have things put right.

(He's been trying to get me to do a SS style hood while i am at it.. I've got no-place to put the stock hood if I do it though. I'd save some $$ by doing it at the same time though... Been looking at those CF hoods, but can't find one with functional Ram-Air. Be nice if someone could direct me to a functional ram-air CF hood...

Once repaired I might want to do the clear car-bra. Too bad I'm already over budget on my electronics/stereo install that's not even started yet (though its starting to look like a small electronics outlet store in our foyer as parts keep coming in :pinklove: )

Any down side to waiting on those blemishes??

TD
TD,

Bug guts are very acidic and will actually etch the paint if left on too long. You might want to try something abrasive like a polishing compound. Follow that with a good scratch & swirl remover like this, and then some good wax.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,953 Posts
After I had my car for 4 days...someone either keyed it or dragged something across my drivers door (maybe a book bag) and left a scratch from my mirror almost to the handle....pissed me off. I can't imagine where I would be that a backpack got drug across it, but it's about that height and it's not a solid scratch (so I don't think it was keyed) it goes for 6 inches takes a break, goes another few inches... I tried to clay bar it, took some of the lighter areas out, but I think I need to take it to a body shop to get it done right. I'm hoping they can buff it out, but being right next to the handle, it drives me nuts every day. I hate people... Anyone no a good bodyshop in Orlando?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts