Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Has anyone experienced a broken rear sway bar? My 13 Shelby snapped it's Steeda performance sway bar on the driver's side. I don't track the car it's my daily but I do, spank some beemers, ricers, scat packs, etc. When I'm challenged. Even though it's completely stock except for all steeda suspension. Should I consider another brand? What's under your shelby?

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,238 Posts
Dang! I’ve never seen a broken sway bar before. The bar itself is from Steeda? Do you recall any specific hits to the suspension like a big pot hole or hitting a curb?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not at all. I kind of baby her except the occasional pull. Don't know if you remember but I posted a while back that my front sway bar snapped as well. Steeda, will replace it but just the inconvenience of the whole thing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’ve never heard of that. It’s broken right where the bolt mounts so I’m thinking install issue? Are you using the included washer to spread the force out? Or maybe REALLY overtightening that bolt?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve never heard of that. It’s broken right where the bolt mounts so I’m thinking install issue? Are you using the included washer to spread the force out? Or maybe REALLY overtightening that bolt?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything was installed to spec. About a year or so ago. I took everything apart to clean and regrease, it was squeaking then I installed to spec again. The parts are only 6 years old. Maybe just defective or maybe just STEEDA?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Steeda stuff has been awesome. Shot in the dark: have you trailered the car any time? I’ve seen some yahoos strap it down from the bars and that puts strain in the direction badly

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No never. I've seen mustangs with hitches and I just shake my head. Never seen a Shelby though but why would someone do that to a Shelby. To each their own

·
Registered
110 Posts
No never. I've seen mustangs with hitches and I just shake my head. Never seen a Shelby though but why would someone do that to a Shelby. To each their own
no no, the Shelby ON a trailer. As in a car hauler etc. I tow mine a good bit, track events, dyno tunes etc and always cautious of the strap points and that straps aren’t rubbing against the bars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I misunderstood. No nothing of that kind. I baby her so much my wife gets jealous. It's a mystery. I'm getting a new bar by STEEDA next week and hopefully it'll last more than 6 years. What I do like is steeda's life time warranty.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,238 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood. No nothing of that kind. I baby her so much my wife gets jealous. It's a mystery. I'm getting a new bar by STEEDA next week and hopefully it'll last more than 6 years. What I do like is steeda's life time warranty.
Forum tip... hit “reply” to quote someone and then type your response after the reply text before hitting “post reply.” That way the quoted text and your response are in the same post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
(n)
Hello all. Has anyone experienced a broken rear sway bar? My 13 Shelby snapped it's Steeda performance sway bar on the driver's side. I don't track the car it's my daily but I do, spank some beemers, ricers, scat packs, etc. When I'm challenged. Even though it's completely stock except for all steeda suspension. Should I consider another brand? What's under your shelby?
2Much, do yourself a favor and do not put another one of those designs back on. The pic (fracture profile) you provided should have alerted you that failure is not a fatigue break. It is an assembly flaw and a design flaw combined.

Pretty much everything on that pic looks wrong and I am not surprised it failed. The pic is good enough to see some cleavage facets in the failure. The necking of the material at the bolt hole clearly shows a tension break that was likely induced by a lack of surface compression under the bolt creating a concentrated load on one edge of the bolt hole. Anytime you tighten a connection that does not align to the intended plane you will get a stress concentration, always.

This is a question for STEEDA. Assuming A36/A500 steel why does the bolt hole not have only a 1.0x web clearance? The bar is using that web clearance to resist some tension in the bar. I don't know for sure but the holes are likely punched.

Notice the edge ratio? Notice the excessive weld cap on the plate fillet weld? I did. More is not always better in welds. LOL. By observation of the excessive weld it is safe to suggest that you place a straight edge across your new piece and it will have the same warped surface. If you find this true DO NOT INSTALL IT. This creates a misalignment that does not allow the bolt tension to help resist the tension in the bar. That's my opinion. No charge for the analysis. Manufacturers either loved us or hated us back when I did this forensic work.

My previous job in the lab included QC1 work for welding examinations and fracture analysis if you have not guessed. You showed the piece to the right person. Poor STEEDA. Too much weld added more heat to the plate and likely warped the material causing cupping that makes correct alignment impossible. Ask an engineer to look at the design he will note the same thing.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2008 GT500
7 Posts
Is the car lowered / different springs? If so do you have an adjustable upper control arm, lower control arms & lowering brackets? If not it could have changed the direction of pull on your swaybar causing extra stress. I have never seen that before. Steeda parts are usually quality parts as they actively race their parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts