Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brembo Gran Turismo is one of the best upgrades you can do for a GT500.

Let me start by saying that ONE 60-0 stop will not really accurately reflect the gains in performance that a Big Brake Kit offers.

Let's take a look at what's happening when you hit the brakes. You are converting all of the kinetic forward energy into heat/friction. Into the brake pads, rotors, and tires you transfer heat. The better you manage that heat the less fade you'll feel. Fade translates into a long pedal and can be a scary feeling at the racetrack.

Pedal feel
I have the 15" Brembo GT kit and the pedal is now firm and strong when applied. The larger rotors, bigger pistons, bigger piston bores, and the narrow annulus caliper all help create more leverage to eliminate the 'spongy' feeling of the stock brakes. So you barely have to touch the brake pedal for medium level performance.

Confidence
This is really and immeasurable performance gain. The confidence to go deeper because you know you don't have fading pads, rotors, and fluid is invaluable. Trust me I've had my foot go to the floor at Laguna Seca and it wasn't fun. With these Big Big horsepower relatively heavy GTs you have to have a good brake kit underneath your foot to feel safe.

Modulation
When you're going at it on the street or ripping victory laps at your local racetrack you'll have better pedal feel and modulation. Modulation is the ability to modulate the amount of braking force applied through feedback from the pedal and experience. This allows you to apply the brake more closely to threshold braking. Threshold braking is the amount right before the tires lock. If you watch racing they don't ever lock the brakes and if they do it's into the pits a lot of times because they flat-spotted the tires.

ABS
ABS is not the fastest way to stop a car. When your car locks it's skidding for a split second. Then the car has to automatically reduce braking force and release it again. Once your foot kicks back in you'll relock the tires and only be in threshold braking range for a split second.
The more time you spend close to the threshold braking level the faster, deeper, and allows you to trail brake. Try trail braking with you're ABS firing not a good idea. Threshold braking is the fastest way around a track or one 60-0 stop.

60-0
The stock brakes will work well enough for one 60-0 ABS stop. If forced to lock the wheels with Brembos, I would say the difference would probably be around 5 feet. The same ABS stop in the Brembo stop would apply more force immediately for a split second. But you lock the brakes. Then the pads have better release characteristics. Then you're right back and more brake force. Rince and repeat until stopped.

High Speed Stops
Also as the MPH goes up so does the coefficient of friction. The heat generated from 60-0 and 120-0 isn't linear its exponential. Meaning a 180-0 stop is going to produce way more than 3 times as much heat per stop.

Heat Management
As you rince and repeat these stops whether it be 60-0 or 200-0 you are really going to see massive gains. Everything about the Brembo GT kit is designed to improve the heat management system. Huge pads that are very thick allows them to absorb more heat. The rotors have directional vanes that work to keep rotors cool.

Steering feel and other benefits
Not only is your braking performance increased but your steering will feel lighter and more responsive. The suspension will work better because you have less unsprung weight. Also your acceleration will be faster because hp/wt ratio and unsprung weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And this is for a GT500?
Ya, that's a strange one TX.

I searched the Brembo site, they had the Gran Turismo set-up listed for the SN95 (94-04) but I didn't find anything listed for the S-197 (05-08).

Hay Bowmanized, hows about a link to the Brembo Gran Turismo set-up for the GT500. A picture of your set-up would be nice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
But if even offered for an S-197, I would think it would require a completely different part number and pieces for a GT500.

I'm not a track guy, so I think a good set of Porterfields will do the trick for me (of which I recently purchased and am about to install), and at the very most some cross drilled rotors. But no plans for that at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts