Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Porterfield Brake Pads? A buddy of mine mentioned them and I noticed the add on the home page. The brake dust from the stock pads sure does dirty up the wheels rather quickly on both the '03 cobra and GT500. If you have tried them, please post your opinion and impressions.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Has anyone tried the Porterfield Brake Pads? A buddy of mine mentioned them and I noticed the add on the home page. The brake dust from the stock pads sure does dirty up the wheels rather quickly on both the '03 cobra and GT500. If you have tried them, please post your opinion and impressions.

The guys who have them swear by them. I don't have them yet but they are on my list. More info below.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Have them. Love them!!!!!!!!!!! No more brake dust, they work well too!!!!!:D :D Get a little squeel once in a while, not often at all, and the rotars were coated 1st.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. What were your rotors coated with and is that a necessary step to use these pads? So far they sound like a good investment.

Also, what is the difference between these pads and ceramic pads, if any, that I saw mentioned in an earlier post?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Cool. What were your rotors coated with and is that a necessary step to use these pads? So far they sound like a good investment.

Also, what is the difference between these pads and ceramic pads, if any, that I saw mentioned in an earlier post?
not sure of all the differances. But I know the Ports have a higher heat rating. If you are going to be doing any road racing you will want to get the Ports.

JJ

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Coating is to eliminate any squeal, comes with pads. They are ceramic+kevlar..........

·
Registered
416 Posts
I put them on today! I don't have more than 30 miles on them so can't really say to much. I don't notice any difference in the stopping or pedal feel but anything to get rid of that brake dust is worth it. We did not coat the rotors due to the car only having 500 miles. We did reuse the heat shields on the front, (the porters have the rear built in). We also used the lube provided in the kit that comes with the porters. We did not sand or cross hatch the pads or soap the rotors due to the newness. There is no squeal or squeak so far. I would reccomend someone with alot of brake experience to put these on and make sure they use a torque wrench for tightening the lug nuts set at 100#'s.:cool: Oh, I forgot to add that the anti-squeal coating to the rotors was not used because we felt if there's no squeal why use it? Also the kit is really set up for someone who is replacing brake pads due to them being worn out and possibly needing rotors turned versus just replacing pads due to dust. Also the grease stuff is applied in between the pad and housing....make sure you pump the brakes before driving off!!!!
Just put another 30 miles on them today, barely any brake dust...I would highly reccommend these!
Just put another 60 miles on them and do have brake dust but very minimal compared to the brembo's!

·
Registered
1 Posts
fghtrpilot -

pretty sure I read somewhere that you needed a special tool for either the front or back to change out the pads - since you just finished, thought I would check, and if so, what kind of tool?

Thanks

Also, any further input on the Porterfields since install?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts