Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At this point nothing else on my GT500. I’ve got a couple thoughts on the Shelby F150. There’s some parts that could use a good rubber coating. Same with my 66 Mustang Sprint 200 lot’s of stuff that needs coated.
Definitely sounds like you’ll be busy. 😆

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
905 Posts
Ok, so looked it up on Amazon. Not the same as I called Hydro Dipping. Here’s a pic of one at a show that has lots of what I was thinking you were talking about. View attachment 237315
Ya that’s a really expensive coating. I did a couple fun toys back in the day in camo for hunting. I paid like $500 each. The cool part about hydro dipping is you can do any design like that and it looks so good once it’s done. Imagine an under hood just covered in the Cobra logo 😱

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, so looked it up on Amazon. Not the same as I called Hydro Dipping. Here’s a pic of one at a show that has lots of what I was thinking you were talking about. View attachment 237315
That’s a nice look for sure. Plastidip looks more like factory plastic parts. Very popular for folks to black out their chrome emblems too.

·
Premium Member
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP Carbonized Grey “In Production”
357 Posts
Ya that’s a really expensive coating. I did a couple fun toys back in the day in camo for hunting. I paid like $500 each. The cool part about hydro dipping is you can do any design like that and it looks so good once it’s done. Imagine an under hood just covered in the Cobra logo 😱
Yeah that Camaro was at a 300 plus car show and I thought he could have won best of show. Lots of uniqueness from front to back and the hydro dipping just added to it. You’ve got a very intriguing idea there using the Cobra logo 🤔

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Yeah that Camaro was at a 300 plus car show and I thought he could have won best of show. Lots of uniqueness from front to back and the hydro dipping just added to it. You’ve got a very intriguing idea there using the Cobra logo 🤔
That would just look awesome!

Reactions: Hyperformance

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
At this point nothing else on my GT500. I’ve got a couple thoughts on the Shelby F150. There’s some parts that could use a good rubber coating. Same with my 66 Mustang Sprint 200 lot’s of stuff that needs coated.
BTW, You definitely have a nice Ford collection.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
BTW, You definitely have a nice Ford collection.
Thanks I appreciate it! I wish I had everything I ever owned still! Unfortunately life happens and I had to part with too many of them. I’m going to enjoy my time with these!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A coat or two to go and then touch ups on specific areas as needed but like how it’s coming out and how modestly “Shelby” appears on the aluminum version.
Hood Sleeve Rectangle Grey Material property

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
A coat or two to go and then touch ups on specific areas as needed but like how it’s coming out and how modestly “Shelby” appears on the aluminum version.
View attachment 237574
I’m waiting on mine to arrive! It’s supposed to deliver tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m waiting on mine to arrive! It’s supposed to deliver tomorrow.
Definitely spray it outside or have good ventilation and all videos I’ve watched say apply 2 light tack coats, 2 coverage coats and then 2 full fill in coats. 15-20 minutes drying time in between each coat. Good news is that it can be peeled off if you don’t like the outcome and start again. I do think mine will be perfect but I’ll use it for awhile and redo if necessary.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Definitely spray it outside or have good ventilation and all videos I’ve watched say apply 2 light tack coats, 2 coverage coats and then 2 full fill in coats. 15-20 minutes drying time in between each coat. Good news is that it can be peeled off if you don’t like the outcome and start again. I do think mine will be perfect but I’ll use it for awhile and redo if necessary.
I meant mine WON’T be perfect and it isn’t but should look really good in place and much better than the white plastic reservoir. Send some pics when u urs.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Reactions: Hyperformance

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That looks awesome!! I just received mine and have the first coat on it and wouldn’t you know it some stuff already flew on the wet surface 😤🤬 I will post up photos soon
I can't wait to see how it comes out. The top side facing the firewall wasn't completely smooth for some reason but not visible so I left it alone. If I end up thinking about it all the time or if someone calls it out to me, I'll peel it off and respray. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Finally done!! Engine cap set is here just waiting for Father’s Day before I can install them.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Carbon

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Great job!!! Looks awesome. I think these worked out nicer than getting the black ones. Thanks so much for the idea of painting the aluminum ones.
Absolutely they look great! I need to wipe off my dirty prints when it’s completely cured. Great minds think alike we killed this project!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Ok here my experience, I think it turned out great. I ended up doing 4 coats. It definitely has a texture to it after it dries. It’s 110+ outside today so drying time was 10 minutes per coat. I did manage to get the wind blown dog hair from my neighbor off it after the first coat. I’ll update later tonight when I install it on the car. It’s so hot now the pads definitely won’t stick.

for what ever reason the photos loaded bottom up. The top one was literally right after I coated it the 4th time and it was already drying.
Rectangle Tints and shades Auto part Composite material Bumper

Wood Font Tints and shades Rectangle Flooring

Hood Rectangle Wood Material property Tints and shades

Brown Wood Rectangle Gadget Beige

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Great job!!! Looks awesome. I think these worked out nicer than getting the black ones. Thanks so much for the idea of painting the aluminum ones.
Oh and don’t make the mistake I did with the caps when u get them. Put the ones that go over factory caps on while they’re on the car so that all the “Shelby” labels will face forward. I took the stock caps off, then put the Shelby caps over them and then could never get them to face forward. 🤦🏻‍♂️. 😂 Maybe I’ll get a clue for Father’s Day. 🤣

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Oh and don’t make the mistake I did with the caps when u get them. Put the ones that go over factory caps on while they’re on the car so that all the “Shelby” labels will face forward. I took the stock caps off, then put the Shelby caps over them and then could never get them to face forward. 🤦🏻‍♂️. 😂 Maybe I’ll get a clue for Father’s Day. 🤣
No joke I actually did exactly that with my GT350!! My son was like UH Dad wouldn’t it work if you put them on while they are on the engine?! I blame the explosive life I’ve lived 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Scottie24
21 - 40 of 47 Posts