Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help a newb out here if possible. It seems like I spend more time cleaning brake dust off my 2008 rims than on any other car I've ever owned.
I don't do enough high performance driving to warrant changing to aftermarket rotors etc, so are there any aftermarket pads that work as well as stock but reduce the amount of brake dust created?
At least the rims have enough room between the spokes to be cleaned pretty easy, but they get filthy from just a day of use in traffic!
:boohoo:

·
Registered
159 Posts
+1 HUGE PITA.:mofo:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
haha, yeah. I'd forgotten how bad Ford brake dust really is, and was shocked at the grime after a week's driving. It washes off easily enough though.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Help a newb out here if possible. It seems like I spend more time cleaning brake dust off my 2008 rims than on any other car I've ever owned.
I don't do enough high performance driving to warrant changing to aftermarket rotors etc, so are there any aftermarket pads that work as well as stock but reduce the amount of brake dust created?
At least the rims have enough room between the spokes to be cleaned pretty easy, but they get filthy from just a day of use in traffic!
Porterfield Pads seem to be the answer...
http://www.formyride.com/porterfield3.asp

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Porterfield pads do work...at 1st I did'nt notice much difference but as the pads got broken in (about 500 miles) I've noticed a significant reduction.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks much. I'll start doing my research on each. My wife's Volvo is just as bad as the GT500 and has even eaten into the clearcoat on the rims. But my 05 GMC 1500 still has factory pads at 33,000 miles and they hardly put any dust on the rims. It would be nice to find out what they are made of!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
The Porterfield pads do work...at 1st I did'nt notice much difference but as the pads got broken in (about 500 miles) I've noticed a significant reduction.
I also noticed a significant reduction in performance with the Porterfields. I'll be replacing them with something else in the future.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also noticed a significant reduction in performance with the Porterfields. I'll be replacing them with something else in the future.
I have'nt but then again I am not tracking the car....let us know what you go with and how it works out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
harley99fb, by reduction in performance, are you refering to braking?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
harley99fb, by reduction in performance, are you refering to braking?
Yes, braking. If were tracking the car they would have been replaced by now.

I installed (as per instructions) the Porterfield pads and the Stillen cross drilled and slotted rotors at the same time.

I'll probably replace them with the mintex pads as mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mintex it will be...thanks for the heads up. I found that they also make pads for my wife's Volvo, so two birds killed with one stone.

Now to just sort through all the ads for the best price since I'm getting parts for two cars. I'll stick with the stock rotors for now. At the rate I'm putting miles on this car they will last for 10 years....to much traffic around here lately to really enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Mintex it will be...thanks for the heads up. I found that they also make pads for my wife's Volvo, so two birds killed with one stone.

Now to just sort through all the ads for the best price since I'm getting parts for two cars. I'll stick with the stock rotors for now. At the rate I'm putting miles on this car they will last for 10 years....to much traffic around here lately to really enjoy the car.
Give me a call or a PM. I've got the Mintex pads in stock and on sale for the GT500...I may have them in stock for the Volvo as well. Just need to know the year/model.

866-250-5542 x128

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Give me a call or a PM. I've got the Mintex pads in stock and on sale for the GT500...I may have them in stock for the Volvo as well. Just need to know the year/model.

866-250-5542 x128

[email protected]
Done deal. Thanks Dan! I'm still shocked that the Volvo and GT500 took the same pads. I guess that speaks pretty well for the brake systems on both cars since I have no complaints on the stopping ability of either of them.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Done deal. Thanks Dan! I'm still shocked that the Volvo and GT500 took the same pads. I guess that speaks pretty well for the brake systems on both cars since I have no complaints on the stopping ability of either of them.
No problem....I'm glad to help. I was also surprised, but then thinking about all of the other cars that use the same Brembo calipers I guess it isn't that strange after all.

Don't hesitate to call, email, or PM me if I can help with anything!

Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
This has been a problem since the first Shelby's came out. The best way to fix it is install a set of Porterfield pads. Just make sure you follow the install instructions COMPLETELY or you will end up will brake squeal. I have installed a number of these pads for different guys and they all swear by them now. Hope they work for you as well as they did for me. Take care M'nut

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I've found that its important to let the anti squeal compound set for the appropriate time etc. But the Mintex seem to have the best recommendations and I've already ordered them, so I'll go with those and do a posting on how they worked out after I get them installed. I hope they help out my wife's Volvo too....those fronts are as bad as the Shelby is for the dust. And it seems to be eating into the clearcoat on the rims too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My stock pads dust horribly as well.

Not sure, haven't looked it up, but does Hawk not offer anything over in their HPS compound for the Brembo caliper at this point?

Also, in the inetrim something like WheelWax (or any good sealant) will work at keeping the brake dust from sticking to the wheel. Michelin also had a brake dust repelant in an aerosol can that works awesomely well and is easy to use, but a little hard to find.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-care-products/

1 - 20 of 64 Posts