Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys handle the brake dust, and has anyone changed pads, etc., to help mitigate the dust?

·
Registered
2020 GT500
393 Posts
OEM alternatives are starting to come out, recent thread:

Not a daily driver for me so I'll put up with the brake dust. Much rather clean the wheels and have the braking performance I paid for than deal with potentially compromised performance / feel.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,176 Posts
My wheels are quartz coated. I tolerate the dust because the brakes are simply amazing! After a track day, I hose the wheels off and use a brush/wash mitt/soap.

Reactions: SmoothBlackSilk

·
Registered
2021 Rapid Red GT 500
153 Posts
I do not think these brakes dust up nearly as bad as the GT350 I had. I ceramic coated mine and they repel dust ok (not great but better than untreated)

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
464 Posts
I have the Powerstop Z26 pads on the front. The super grabby initial bite of the stock pads has been slightly diminished but overall braking feel and power seem unchanged. Best result is the extreme reduction in brake dust. Now, just waiting for the rear pads to hit vendors.

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
My wheels are ceramic coated and it does help with the dust -- when the car has been dry driven -- not been driven in the rain. I drove 4 hours back from a Tail of the Dragon road trip a week or so ago in the pouring rain and no amount of ceramic is going to help in that situation. I cleaned the car the other night and there was no simply "hosing off the dust". They simply looked awful -- a combo of heavy dust from aggressive, twisties driving and then 4 hours of highway rain and road spray.

All that being said, I am not inclined at all to change the pads. I love the braking performance and don't want to lose it for the sake of dust.

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
467 Posts
My wheels are ceramic coated and it does help with the dust -- when the car has been dry driven -- not been driven in the rain. I drove 4 hours back from a Tail of the Dragon road trip a week or so ago in the pouring rain and no amount of ceramic is going to help in that situation. I cleaned the car the other night and there was no simply "hosing off the dust". They simply looked awful -- a combo of heavy dust from aggressive, twisties driving and then 4 hours of highway rain and road spray.

All that being said, I am not inclined at all to change the pads. I love the braking performance and don't want to lose it for the sake of dust.
I noticed the copper/brown haze on your black wheels. Mine are ceramic coated as well as the Alcoa Durabrite. Yes. It took wiping when washing to get the scum off before I got rid of the OEM. I have the Z26 on the front of mine now. Before I took the trip, I was a little concerned about what hard braking and heat would do to them. We weren't on a track, the braking from 80mph to 30mph to make the turns was concerning, but I didn't experience any brake fade. I may look at one in a couple of weeks when I have time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts