Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the post for the Porterfield brake pads which I am going to buy. But I would just like to know how many of you guys have this same problem with the brake dust? Does it subside after you get so many miles on it or is that just the nature of these brake pads?
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have seen the post for the Porterfield brake pads which I am going to buy. But I would just like to know how many of you guys have this same problem with the brake dust? Does it subside after you get so many miles on it or is that just the nature of these brake pads?
Thanks guys.
I had just shy of 8000 miles on mine when I went to the Porterfield pads. It never subsided! The Porterfield pads are amazingly clean!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks guys.

It was probably the best mod I did on mine.Go for it:D :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
got ~18000 miles on mine, I HATE THE DUST.
haha. i'm going to suck it up the rest of the year, and get the pads installed over winter when she is parked

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks guys.
I noticed the dust right away on the back of the car - thought it was just dirt collecting due to buffing static. It's pretty bad; it seems to get a little better after 600 or so miles but it still collects after washing - even after one short trip. I plan to replace the pads next year - can't afford them right now.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Tons of brake dust here too. Just a short trip to the gas station, and the rims, doors and back are covered. :mad:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Tons of brake dust here too. Just a short trip to the gas station, and the rims, doors and back are covered. :mad:
As I've stated before, I have the Porterfield pads. Just for comparison, I last washed my car 3 weeks ago. I've put about 800 miles on it since then. The front rims show a slight hint of brake dust build-up on them. Almost enough to consider possibly washing the car.

The dead bugs on the front are the biggest reason for washing this weekend.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
As I've stated before, I have the Porterfield pads. Just for comparison, I last washed my car 3 weeks ago. I've put about 800 miles on it since then. The front rims show a slight hint of brake dust build-up on them. Almost enough to consider possibly washing the car.

Yeah, the porterfields are definitely in my future. Probably next spring. She's just about ready to go to bed for the winter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dude it is not just the gt500's that are making this much brake dust. My ole ladies 07 Ford Freestyle does the samething! I will try some kind of fully ceramic pads before I spend 200+ on porterfields!

but I am cheap!

JJ

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Greg,
You guys got Mayflies too:rolleyes: :rolleyes: By the way I took care of Joe G.I told him you ratted him out to me:p He's very happy.:D :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Greg,
You guys got Mayflies too:rolleyes: :rolleyes: By the way I took care of Joe G.I told him you ratted him out to me:p He's very happy.:D :D
That would explain why he never gave me his whole name. Glad to know the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Dude it is not just the gt500's that are making this much brake dust. My ole ladies 07 Ford Freestyle does the samething! I will try some kind of fully ceramic pads before I spend 200+ on porterfields!

but I am cheap!

JJ
My old '03 Expedition was the worst. I switched it over to ceramic pads, and it helped a great deal.

I'm not sure how much you'll save on ceramic vs Porterfield, though. For me,the cost was well worth it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My old '03 Expedition was the worst. I switched it over to ceramic pads, and it helped a great deal.

I'm not sure how much you'll save on ceramic vs Porterfield, though. For me,the cost was well worth it.
Hawk Performance makes a ceramic pad as well as a higher performance HPS series, which also claim to be low dust. The HPS are less expensive than the Porterfields but I have not heard any feedback on how well they reduce the dust. Steeda carries them for the GT500.

·
Registered
444 Posts
ok I just called the auto parts store.

Advanced Auto
Bendix-ceramic-front.........52.96
bendix-ceramic-rear..........49.48

Autozone.com
Morse-ceramic-front..........45.99
Morse-ceramic-rear...........45.99

If I was into road-racing I would buy the porterfields because I am sure they disipate heat better than these two. But I have been doing brakes on all of my cars and my friends cars for at least 15 yrs. and there is a big differance in the brake dust when switching to ceramic pads plus the ceramic pads do not prematurely start squeeking like the cheaper pads do.

JJ

·
Registered
224 Posts
jj-
let me know how those work out if you end up going with them.
$100 compared to $300 is a nice alternative, and any amount of dust removed would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
14K and DUST. Porterfield sounds good to me. Are they available through local parts stores? Or do you get them online?

Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
14K and DUST. Porterfield sounds good to me. Are they available through local parts stores? Or do you get them online?

Thanks
I ordered from Porterfield's web site.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

Thanks

Buy them through Jerry, a Porterfield distributor, for $169 front and $129
Rear. 888 563 7227 (MyRoadster.Net)
A brake noise silencer kit is included in the price, through Jerry only.
(Good procedure to prevent noise)

Porterfield R4S Street Compound:
Friction coefficient is .4
Operating Temperature range is
0 degrees F to 1,100degrees F
Brake dust reduction of at least 80% since the dust that is created does not
stick to clear coat or metal

The R4S is the fastest stopping street compound on the market, and are rotor
friendly.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts