1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
67 Posts
those are cool, and more affordable than the Shelby kit if I remember correctly. Where would they intake from?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look under your car where the plastic grille is and you will see a place for them already.:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have their kit on my GT, and it is great. If you're going to the track, you need this. I'm running stock rotors, Hawk pads, SS lines, DOT 4 fluid, and the QM brake cooling kit. No problems with brake fade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, I wish I could just see my car right now. Got the news today it will be the end of next week before it is ready. My neighbor came over yesterday, and asked if I had wrecked it or something.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have their kit on my GT, and it is great. If you're going to the track, you need this. I'm running stock rotors, Hawk pads, SS lines, DOT 4 fluid, and the QM brake cooling kit. No problems with brake fade.
Where can I get the SS brake lines to replace the OEM ones ? Which Hawk pads are you running ?

Thanks....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where can I get the SS brake lines to replace the OEM ones ? Which Hawk pads are you running ?

Thanks....
I'm running Hawk HPS pads. Minimal dust, especially compared to the EBC pads I put on my Charger. I got the pads and SS lines from ls1speed.com

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are the Porterfield pads really that good? I put EBC pads on my Charger, and they work great, but they're nasty. My wheels get black in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
What did you do with the brake splash shield? Did you cut a hole in the stock one or buy an aftermarket shield with the hole already in it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What did you do with the brake splash shield? Did you cut a hole in the stock one or buy an aftermarket shield with the hole already in it?
The OEM splash shield is removed. The kit comes with an adapter to connect the brake cooling hoses.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The OEM splash shield is removed. The kit comes with an adapter to connect the brake cooling hoses.
I'd rather not remove the shields. They do serve a purpose...especially with the stock brake pads throwing out so much dust.

Do you think there is any way to mount them without removing the shields?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the Porterfield pads really that good? I put EBC pads on my Charger, and they work great, but they're nasty. My wheels get black in a couple of days.
Yes they are, to give you an example Fred (07 SHELBY) and I went on alittle cruise last summer and I cleaned my wheels before we left his house, his was fairly clean before we started as well. By the time we got back to his house after, I would say 150 miles or so my wheels were black and his looked like they did when we left.:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd rather not remove the shields. They do serve a purpose...especially with the stock brake pads throwing out so much dust.

Do you think there is any way to mount them without removing the shields?
If you need brake cooling, you don't want to be using the stock pads, they won't cut it with the heat. At least on the front, swap the pads. No, the OEM shields won't work with the cooling adapters. But dust with the Hawk pads is not that bad. Here's a close-up of one of the photos of my car at the track taken by the track photographer. This was late in the day, so it was taken after driving 200 miles to the track and racing most of the day. You can still see the sunlight reflecting off the wheel.

The last time I went to the track, I had one of the instructors take my GT out for some hot laps, and I do mean HOT. That woman smoked that track. But she made the comment how well the brakes were holding up, and they were. No fade. And you could smell them when we pulled into the pits. I'm running the stock rotors, Hawk HPS pads, SS lines, QM cooling kit, and DOT 4 fluid. The DOT 4 fluid has a higher boiling point than the stock fluid. Unless you're at a track where you have repeated and frequent brake episodes from well over 100 mph, these should be all the mods you need for your brakes.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the info, Jon!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The brake dust alone is all the reason you need to replace the stock pads. I have not done it yet, but, plan to soon.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The brake dust alone is all the reason you need to replace the stock pads. I have not done it yet, but, plan to soon.
I was thinking I would hold off on new pads until the stock ones were used up, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I may have to pull the trigger on the Porterfields.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I did the Porterfields and could'nt be happier! Those stock pads were just a mess....I can only spend so much time cleaning. Huge difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts