Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got an 07 white w/blue stripes last week from a Hyundai Dealership in Blue Springs,MO for $34K. Car has 4,390 miles now. Came with the JLT carbon fiber cai and the salesman said it had a chip. I'm sure he meant tune, I thought chips were used on older vehicles. He does not know anything about the tune. I figue it really has been tuned because it runs fine with the JLT. Another thing I noticed is the boost guage will hit 11psi and it looks like the stock sc pulley is on. I thought stock was 9psi? Is boost increasable through a tune? The car was traded in by a local police officer, so I know the car was driven in the area. I dont know of any 93 octane available around here so we assume it is a 91 octane tune. I have been driving for a week on 91 octane and haven't noticed any issues. Should I be worried about not knowing any sure info on the tune? Theres a shop in KC that does custom tuning on forced induction mustangs called MC racing, but they charge like $400-500. Sucks having to drop another $500 on a new car, but should I do it to be safe? Thank you for any help, God bless.

Also, I added a new axle back. Do I need to tune for that? I've heard the computer is sensitive to almost ever mod.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No tune needed for your axle-backs.

Go and do a dyno run to be sure you are running in the safe range (not lean), and as long as you are, no worries. Just enjoy.

I would not romp on it till I knew my a/f though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If it's hitting 11psi I bet it has a stock looking pulley on it....measure the pulley and see if it's smaller than 3 inch's. If it's been tuned the local shop may be familiar with the car already....oh and welcome!:zlurking:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I better measure the pulley...the salesman also said it had 600hp, but I figured it was another sign of him not knowing much about the car. He told me he didn't really know anything about Fords. With a pulley/JLT/tune it could pick up 100 extra HP huh. I'll check. thank you

edit: Ok I measured the pulley and the outer edge is 2.9" and the inner section where the belt actually functions is 2.8". Measured with caliper. I did not remove the belt from the pulley to measure though, so I can't be sure I was all the way in there. Do I measure from the top of the pulley ribs, valley of the ribs, or the outer pulley edge?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Google VMP and talk to Justin...I'm thinking it's got his 2.65 pulley...can you get the # of the original owner?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried getting the phone number of the original owner but the dealership I got the car from won't give it.

I took the belt off to measure the pulley properly and it measures 2.65". The belt doesn't seem real tight either, but I haven't noticed any belt slippage though. I will just have to take it to a dyno and have them check a/f for me. Seems to run good and strong, but I want to know for sure...

So with the 2.65" sc pulley, JLT cai kit, axle back, and tune I'm probably ~500-540rwhp? Guess I'll find out soon. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quick way to find out if pulley has been changed is if it has the idler pulley on there if not than stock one on there. also you can pull a spark plug and see if they are stock and not NGK plugs. Have you checked this car over to see if the tuner is in the trunk? Have the dealership call the owner to get the hand held tuner from the original owner. You need that for sure so you can return to stock for warranty work.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I tried getting the phone number of the original owner but the dealership I got the car from won't give it.

I took the belt off to measure the pulley properly and it measures 2.65". The belt doesn't seem real tight either, but I haven't noticed any belt slippage though. I will just have to take it to a dyno and have them check a/f for me. Seems to run good and strong, but I want to know for sure...

So with the 2.65" sc pulley, JLT cai kit, axle back, and tune I'm probably ~500-540rwhp? Guess I'll find out soon. Thanks for your help.
You are correct and so is Bone about the plugs and the tuner...however, with the stealth pulley on there I would not worry about returning to stock for warranty work. Enjoy!:zlurking:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts