Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some Borla S-Types from AM the other day and installed them yesterday. Thought I'd do a "how to" given the Borla directions that came in the box are worthless. Seriously, just toss them out as they are not for the GT500.

I first backed up on to some ramps and just for extra insurance used 4 scissor jacks under the frame just in case.

I started on the passenger side. First order of business was to get the muffler hanger nearest the bumper (i.e. furthest back) off the rubber hanger. I sprayed some Liquid Wrench in between the rubber hole and the metal hanger as best as I could. Then I just pushed sideways on the rubber hanger to slide it off the metal hanger. Took a bit of leverage but it came off relatively easily. Here's a pic of it off.

Next step was just simply loosening the band clamp. 13mm socket as I recall. Here's a pic.

At this point, I thought it would be easy to break loose the muffler from the pipe. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to break the seal. I used a ton of Liquid Wrench, beat on it mildly with a rubber mallet, tried using a pry bar where I could -- nothing.

Then I noticed there was a bracket of sorts attached to the bottom of the car that both the metal hangers went in to. You can see in this pic at the top right one of the hangers going in to one of the rubber holes, and the top left of the pic the other metal hanger going in to another rubber hole. Also, you can see a bolt/nut near the middle of the pic (below where my headlamp is shining) holding the bracket to the car. (There's another bolt/nut but I didn't notice that until later.) In any case, there is little to no room to get on that bolt/nut (maybe you will have better luck) so I went to Plan B.

Left side of that bracket on passenger side muffler (I'm on my back facing the rear of the car)

Right side of that bracket on passenger side muffler

Plan B begun by loosening the bolts at the H-pipe. I used a magic marker before loosening to help me line things back up if need be. Loosening those bolts helped give me some play in the system, which was helpful in lining things up later, but it didn't help me break the seal on the muffler. So Plan B was a FAIL.

On to Plan C. The band clamps are tack welded to the muffler. I thought if I could break the tack and move the band clamp I could get some more Liquid Wrench on the seal and perhaps beat on it with a punch and mallet and break the seal -- no dice, another FAIL. (If you want to reuse the clamps you have to break the tack weld at some point anyway.) Here's a pic of me using a pry bar to bust/pry the tack weld apart, and a pic of the band clamp "free".

At this point, I'm good and torqued off!!! I think, I better move to the driver's side before I go nuts and to see if there is something I am missing. I take off the rear hanger and loosen the band clamp, bust the tack weld, but don't loosen the bolts at the H-pipe. Same deal -- can't bust loose the seal. I move to "f it" mode and essentially hang on the muffler and yank down on it at an angle and...voila!...it busts loose. THANK GOD!!!

I'm now in better spirits. I go to fit the new muffler in place and realize there is no way I'll be able to slide it in to position. You can see in this pic that I can only get one of the hangers in to one of the rubber holes (right) -- can't get the other hanger (left) in to the other hole because the rest of the muffler is hitting metal.

So, I remove the hanger from the car and "install it" on the muffler. I then slide the whole assembly up in to position, holding the muffler on my knees while I'm on my back and screwing in the bolts by hand.

I then move back to the passenger side, bust the seal loose by hanging on the muffler, remove the bracket, "install" the bracket on the muffler and lift the whole assembly in to position.

I then spent some time getting things lined up to make sure I would have a good seal and the tips were centered out the back. Loosening those h-pipe bolts helped me get the tips extended out the back of the car the same distance.

If you decide to do this and need some help, give me a shout! I'll be happy to curse right along with you! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big question is how do they sound?
And how do you like them?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
They sound goooooood! :grin:

Deeper, louder and more burbly than stock at start up, normal driving and decel. I drove around for an hour today with the windows down and got tone drunk on 2nd and 3rd gear WOT pulls!!! :rocker:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,695 Posts
Awesome stuff fletch! I fought this battle a handful of years back... I forgot some of the struggles. Definitely worth it though. For a 2011/12, there is no better sounding exhaust than Borla-S.

Next thing to do is find someone you trust to drive your car, get on the side of the road with your camera and have them do a WOT pass in 2nd gear. It will stiffen your nipples.

·
Registered
2013 Black/Black SVTPP
326 Posts
Awesome stuff fletch! I fought this battle a handful of years back... I forgot some of the struggles. Definitely worth it though. For a 2011/12, there is no better sounding exhaust than Borla-S.
Does the Borla-S not sound great on a 2013-2014 or 2007-2010, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always actually unbolted the hanger brackets from the car. Bit of a pain depending on the muffler design.
10-4 on that. You are not alone, as I'm pretty sure @Goose17 did that when he installed his Borlas. I actually tried to slip a wrench on that bottom bolt but couldn't make it happen --- probably user error on my part. :wink: I guess I took the "scenic route" to getting them installed. :grin: LOL!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,695 Posts
Does the Borla-S not sound great on a 2013-2014 or 2007-2010, just curious.
The 07-10 cars have smaller exhaust pipes and there has been reports of drone with the Borla-S for those years. There is zero drone with the 11/12 cars. As for the quad-tipped 13/14, I don’t recall seeing any feedback on those.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,695 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Borla S were different shapes depending on the year. I believe the 2007-2009 S Type is closer to the Borla ATAK for the 2010-2012 years as both are round canister style mufflers. On the 2010-2012 cars the S-Type is now a oval suitcase muffler more similar in design to the Borla Touring of the 2007 to 2009 years.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a thread from 2013 with some videos (sound clips) that I did after installing these mufflers. Check post #17 on page 2 for what these sound like. Of course exhaust always sounds better in person vs. a little speaker.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/177-exhaust/35473-installed-borla-s-tonight-2.html
Good vids, Goose!

I happened to click on the video in Post #35 showing the water draining out of them. Man, that is a LOT of water! This is a new one on me. Anyone ever seen or heard of that? Anyone ever drill a weep hole in their Borla S-types?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Easiest way to change the mufflers out is to loosen up the clamps at both ends. Once you’ve loosened up the clamp at your midpipe, slide it up onto the overaxle pipe. At this point you can just rotate the entire overaxle pipe over to the side and let it rest on the panhard brace. The seal at the muffler will be free and there’s plenty of room to just slide the muffler off the hanger you were having issues with. Makes the swap quick and easy.

I just swapped my Corsa Sports out for some Borla S-types a few weeks ago. I liked the Corsas, but I have to admit the Borlas sound even better.

https://youtu.be/ZvsMcGf75AA

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Easiest way to change the mufflers out is to loosen up the clamps at both ends. Once you’ve loosened up the clamp at your midpipe, slide it up onto the overaxle pipe. At this point you can just rotate the entire overaxle pipe over to the side and let it rest on the panhard bar. The seal at the muffler will be free and there’s plenty of room to just slide the muffler off the hanger you were having issues with. Makes the swap quick and easy.

I just swapped my Corsa Sports out for some Borla S-types a few weeks ago. I liked the Corsas, but I have to admit the Borlas sound even better.

Dang, that sounds AWESOME! So glad you shared that, as I've been contemplating that exact next step -- long tubes w/ an x-pipe. How does it sounds at WOT?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Easiest way to change the mufflers out is to loosen up the clamps at both ends. Once you’ve loosened up the clamp at your midpipe, slide it up onto the overaxle pipe. At this point you can just rotate the entire overaxle pipe over to the side and let it rest on the panhard bar. The seal at the muffler will be free and there’s plenty of room to just slide the muffler off the hanger you were having issues with. Makes the swap quick and easy.

Dang, that sounds AWESOME! So glad you shared that, as I've been contemplating that exact next step -- long tubes w/ an x-pipe. How does it sounds at WOT?
It’s deafening at WOT, but this setup is far from stock. I’ve had long tubes and an off-road X for years now, but the cams seem to have somehow made everything exponentially louder. I just finished up dyno tuning last week and we were all wearing ear plugs in there.

I don’t have any clips of this new setup running wide open yet, but I do have a clip from a few years ago with LTs, an off-road X and Corsa Sports. The Borlas have a somewhat deeper tone where the Corsas were more high pitched, but it would sound fairly similar. You can at least get an idea of the volume, it was very loud at WOT, almost silent just cruising with the RPMs low....no drone.

https://youtu.be/mRa1YhIIXqs

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s deafening at WOT, but this setup is far from stock. I’ve had long tubes and an off-road X for years now, but the cams seem to have somehow made everything exponentially louder. I just finished up dyno tuning last week and we were all wearing ear plugs in there.

I don’t have any clips of this new setup running wide open yet, but I do have a clip from a few years ago with LTs, an off-road X and Corsa Sports. The Borlas have a somewhat deeper tone where the Corsas were more high pitched, but it would sound fairly similar. You can at least get an idea of the volume, it was very loud at WOT, almost silent just cruising with the RPMs low....no drone.

Sweet! Confirming -- did you have the cam at the time you had the Corsa setup?

·
Registered
661 Posts

Sweet! Confirming -- did you have the cam at the time you had the Corsa setup?
No, stock cams in that flyby video.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts