Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a newer (07+) M5 on the road the other day (while in my tacoma :fight: ) and got to wondering how our cars would stack up.

By the numbers they seem very similar with curb weight at 4,000lbs and power at 500hp for the M5. They are down on TQ compared to the GT500. So I googled a bit and ran into some threads from an M5 forum and noticed they are reporting running high 12s and trapping around 110mph. Not sure what "normal" people are reporting for stock GT500 times but that seems pretty close to what I would expect for an average joe in a stock GT500. Maybe a little slower.

Also interesting is that the are reporting RWHP 325-340 with the odd car hittin 350. And here I was thinking our cars should make more than 420-440 rwhp stock. I guess I can't complain anymore.

Anyways, I know all about how advanced the car is and it's not apples/apples. Trust me, I've open tracked a mustang and know they are not similar in handling. Just thought the power/weight ratio was similar enough to look at a comparison. Anyone run into one and put it to the test? :thinkerg:

·
Registered
639 Posts
from a roll, should be no problem smoking an M5, off the line will depend on skills, in the twisties, an M5 will smoke us

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
So I saw a newer (07+) M5 on the road the other day (while in my tacoma :fight: ) and got to wondering how our cars would stack up.

By the numbers they seem very similar with curb weight at 4,000lbs and power at 500hp for the M5. They are down on TQ compared to the GT500. So I googled a bit and ran into some threads from an M5 forum and noticed they are reporting running high 12s and trapping around 110mph. Not sure what "normal" people are reporting for stock GT500 times but that seems pretty close to what I would expect for an average joe in a stock GT500. Maybe a little slower.

Also interesting is that the are reporting RWHP 325-340 with the odd car hittin 350. And here I was thinking our cars should make more than 420-440 rwhp stock. I guess I can't complain anymore.

Anyways, I know all about how advanced the car is and it's not apples/apples. Trust me, I've open tracked a mustang and know they are not similar in handling. Just thought the power/weight ratio was similar enough to look at a comparison. Anyone run into one and put it to the test? :thinkerg:
The big difference is that when the M hits the end of warranty it'll friggin' eat you out of house and home. Been there...done that...took the wallet raping.

bj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts