Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 12 vert. I notice supercharger gets very hot even during normal driving.
How can I tell if the intercooler pump is working properly?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,661 Posts
You’ll see coolant flow in your degas bottle reservoir.

If your pump wasn’t working, your system would overheat when getting into boost and most likely spray coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Your stock Eaton SC will get very hot as it’s spinning quickly and not cooled. The inter cooler is cooling the hot air coming out of the SC as it enters the engine’s intake. Yes, if your coolant pump isn’t working, the engine will get hotter and succumb to heat soak, which would make the SC sitting on top hotter too. However, just know that the coolant going to the inter cooler does not have any direct cooling effect on the SC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the pump work all the time or is it temp driven? Does it shut off when ignition turns off?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It only works when the car is fully on...it doesn't run with accessory.

As far as I know, it does not work all the time under "stock" programming. My VMP tune adjusted the on/off settings.

You will be able to tell if the intercooler pump is working as the activity in the overflow tank is noticeable....when its working. So, I understand your dilemma ....how do you know if its not working because its properly told to be off by the car, or its not working because its broken.

Two ways, i guess:
1) you can jump the intercooler relay. Easier than it sounds, but you have to search the forums how to do it.
2) Drive the car to warm without overdoing it, stop with the engine running and check out the reservoir. Again, the movement is noticeable when it's working.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks 4 d info. Cause my SC really gets hot under normal driving conditions.
So to understand the issue, there is no cooling jacket in the SC to cool the body of the SC, not the incoming air?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No cooling jacket. Yeah, the SC will get hot, but that's normal. The intercooler sits under the SC so the charged air gets cooled.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,661 Posts
Do you have an air compressor in your garage? Have you ever felt the tank when it runs? It gets HOT! Compression creates heat. Your supercharger is a compressor. Once the air leaves the bottom of your supercharger, it passes through the intercooler before entering your intake manifold. The intercooler is part of a closed-loop system that also has tubes, a pump, a heat exchanger (radiator) and the overflow/degas reservoir. When your pump is circulating coolant, you will see “activity” in your reservoir. 13/14 cars have a little difference here, but the 07-12 cars show fluid moving when the pump is working. If the fluid is not moving in your reservoir, you have a problem.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Does the pump work all the time or is it temp driven? Does it shut off when ignition turns off?
It is temp driven and most runes turn down the on temperature lower than stock. Stock is around 100*, and it doesn't take but a few minutes of driving to reach that. Even with the OEM settings, once the engine reaches operating temperature, the pump will run continuously unless the ambient temps are low enough to where you shouldn't be driving the car with summer tires. I have my on temp set to 70* and it might stay off for less than a minute if it's 50* outside. The supercharger is really not compressing air when you're at idle and low throttle when the bypass is open. Most of the heat comes from the outer walls of the lower intake. When the car is not moving, the CAI is ingesting a lot of hot underhood air. You can see this if you monitor IAT (CAI tube) and IAT2 (lower manifold air entering the intake tract. If the pump is not circulating coolant, it will heat up the coolant in the intercooler after ten minutes, give or take, depending on ambient temps, and unless there's a way to run that hot coolant through the heat exchanger, everything is going to get really, really hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts