Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been curious as to how my internals are wearing; am I close to needed new bearings or are they pristine etc. So on the advice of Jesse, VMP top tech, he suggested I do a oil analysis which will tell me how the motor is doing with 68000 miles on it.

Got the report today and it speaks for itself:

" DON: This Mustang seems to be in good condition. Some metals are a touch higher than we expect after a short run, but they're all within the realm of normal. Universal averages make a nice comparison to how most Ford 5.4L Supercharged engines wear after about 3,300 miles of oil use. Silicon is high, but we think it's from a harmless source, like a sealer or lube, since wear is good. It never hurts to give air filtration a once over, though, in case it's dirt. The TBN is strong at 4.6, showing plenty of active additive in reserve, since 1.0 is what we consider low. Nice report! "

I can go into further detail for those who would like to look at the PDF file they sent me.

Happy camper here !!!

·
Registered
2014 GT500
418 Posts
Interesting......I had no idea that this test was even available. Thanks for sharing.
I wouldn’t mind seeing the whole test if you’d like to post it.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting......I had no idea that this test was even available. Thanks for sharing.
I wouldn’t mind seeing the whole test if you’d like to post it.

here you go:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only real issue the report brought up was the silicon level. It was high but I assume that is because VMP did a partial tear down recently to put my cams in and to me that would explain it.
One of the other reason to do this test was L&M who manufacture the cams, I called them when I was having issues with the motor under boost (turned out to be a defective intercooler pump that has since been upgraded and replaced) and they told me that with the intercooler temps as high as I described, they told me to watch for coolant in the oil. This analysis puts that concern to rest .... no issue as well premature bearing wear.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
I'd say the cam install is probably the reason for the higher levels of silicone.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say the cam install is probably the reason for the higher levels of silicone.
Hundred percent John, with the engine partially torn down that’s exactly why the silicone levels are high

1 - 6 of 6 Posts