Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I had set my tire pressure at 36 PSI cold (Near SF) but was getting a lot more vibration noises. Yesterday I reduced all 4 tires to 34.5 and they seem to stick a little better now and the vibration noises are down a bit. Has anyone in this well informed group determined the best stock tire air pressure for general use? Should the 255's in the front and the 285's in the back be set differently? I was going to keep going down in 1 deg increments and drive it my 100 miles per day to work and back to see how it feels at each pressure setting but if anyone else has already done this I would appreciate the info. I have the stock tires and wheels.

Also on a side note, I just called SVT and they do have the build # order list now. I am sure that information has already been posted on this board somewhere but just thought I would mention it now. Chris at SVT just told me that my used Tungsten GT500 (50k miles when I bought it and now up to 58k) is the 12th GT500 in the build order, the second Tungsten unit and was also a preproduction unit. Chris also said the Ford "Build Order" certificates will be ready for ordering in 2 to 3 weeks and will cost between 40 and 60 dollars. A lot less than my Shelby Sig Plaque cost! (but that plaque looks great in the car and the Shelby door sills look great also, especially with the machined letters and numbers filled in with black paint. I read that Shelby is donating all the money made from the plaques to charity.)

MSB Mustang

:)D Happiness is driving a used GT500 to work every day!)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That is a very interesting post, thanks for sharing about your car. When you said 50k miles, my first thought was pre-production! As for your question, I don't remember any threads about tire pressure for normal use. There was some discussion here and there about tire pressure on the track/strip. You could probably use the search function and locate those easy enough. Try searching for "tire pressure" or "air pressure" and see if that gets you anything. Good hunting and driving!

·
Registered
933 Posts
msbmustang,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of good stuff on here.

Arbour88

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I had set my tire pressure at 36 PSI cold (Near SF) but was getting a lot more vibration noises. Yesterday I reduced all 4 tires to 34.5 and they seem to stick a little better now and the vibration noises are down a bit. Has anyone in this well informed group determined the best stock tire air pressure for general use? Should the 255's in the front and the 285's in the back be set differently? I was going to keep going down in 1 deg increments and drive it my 100 miles per day to work and back to see how it feels at each pressure setting but if anyone else has already done this I would appreciate the info. I have the stock tires and wheels.

Also on a side note, I just called SVT and they do have the build # order list now. I am sure that information has already been posted on this board somewhere but just thought I would mention it now. Chris at SVT just told me that my used Tungsten GT500 (50k miles when I bought it and now up to 58k) is the 12th GT500 in the build order, the second Tungsten unit and was also a preproduction unit. Chris also said the Ford "Build Order" certificates will be ready for ordering in 2 to 3 weeks and will cost between 40 and 60 dollars. A lot less than my Shelby Sig Plaque cost! (but that plaque looks great in the car and the Shelby door sills look great also, especially with the machined letters and numbers filled in with black paint. I read that Shelby is donating all the money made from the plaques to charity.)

MSB Mustang

:)D Happiness is driving a used GT500 to work every day!)
Did you buy it on EBAY? If so I know which car it was, I seen in on there!

congrats and welcome to the board.

my tires are at 35psi.

JJ

·
Registered
373 Posts
tires are always set for 35PSI here too =D welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome to this board and the information on the tire pressure. I will leave all four tires at 35/43.5 psi.

Also CROZ98ST I did buy this car on EBAY a little over 3 months ago. Other than a bunch of interior vibration noises (that I am fixing one at a time, except the instrument panel one which is inside the plastic panel module and I am going to try having it replaced under warranty to see if that fixes that "buzzing" noise before I open it up) it has been the perfect ride!

Thanks again everyone!

MSB Mustang / Mark

·
Registered
933 Posts
msbmustang,

If typos (spelling) were a concern on this forum, there would be a lot of unsuccessfully posted messages. Thanks goodness it isn't otherwise we would be missing lots of valuable information. Not to worry and thanks for correcting the tire pressure. I figured you had inverted the first 2 numbers on the second set. :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome to this board and the information on the tire pressure. I will leave all four tires at 35/43.5 psi.

Also CROZ98ST I did buy this car on EBAY a little over 3 months ago. Other than a bunch of interior vibration noises (that I am fixing one at a time, except the instrument panel one which is inside the plastic panel module and I am going to try having it replaced under warranty to see if that fixes that "buzzing" noise before I open it up) it has been the perfect ride!

Thanks again everyone!

MSB Mustang / Mark
I was watching every gt500 that sold or didn't sell on ebay from OCT 2006 until I bought mine on EBAY in mid JUNE 2007.

JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JJ

Where did you end up getting yours at? Mine was from Port Clinton Ford in OH and they were great people to deal with. I flew out there and drove it back to CA. It was a used unit from Ford that was a test unit. It had 50k miles which is why I got such a good deal on it. Finding out it was a preproduction unit, the 12th GT500 built and the second tungsten one was a nice bonus.

Mark

·
Registered
861 Posts
JJ

Where did you end up getting yours at? Mine was from Port Clinton Ford in OH and they were great people to deal with. I flew out there and drove it back to CA. It was a used unit from Ford that was a test unit. It had 50k miles which is why I got such a good deal on it. Finding out it was a preproduction unit, the 12th GT500 built and the second tungsten one was a nice bonus.

Mark

I bought mine from Szott Ford in Holly, MI. It was about a 4 hour drive each way, and I trailered it back.

JJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife and I flew to Port Clinton OH and drove it back to the SF bay area. It took 5 days but was a lot of fun! Since it already had 50k miles on it I did not see any point in trucking it back home. Maybe I should be more careful with it because it is car #12 in the build order but I really enjoy my 100 miles round trip to work and back every day. Makes me look forward to my time in the car instead of thinking of it as a wasted 2 hours!

Also the last two days I have been driving it at 34.5 psi in all 4 tires and that has helped the wheel hop a bit. In addition some of the interior vibrations are a bit better also. I did remove the cover from the passenger side interior fuse box last night on my way home and it turns out that was a big source of vibration noise. I will have to try some way to quiet that down and put it back on. But now I can hear a noise above my head to the left in the edge of the molding around the drivers side door. This weekend I will search on line for a way to remove that molding and see what is making the noise up there. This is the price I am paying for saving a bunch of money by buying a car that Ford probably drove hard and fast! Then again maybe they just broke it in for me and everyone has these little noises/vibrations to deal with.

Best Regards,

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts