Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting rid of my Flowmaster American Thunders. Looking to find mufflers what have some “bite”. Flowmasters sounded really deep but “muffled”. (no pun intended) what are your experiences?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,672 Posts
Getting rid of my Flowmaster American Thunders. Looking to find mufflers what have some “bite”. Flowmasters sounded really deep but “muffled”. (no pun intended) what are your experiences?
I have different recommendations for different year GT500s. We put Roush Extremes on my son’s 2010 Mustang GT (same size exhaust as the 07-10 GT500s). They sound fantastic! They sound very similar to the Borla S on my 2011.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,060 Posts
I have the same on my 07 and love them. I also had a set of the flowmasters you have. I thought that they droned horribly. The roushes have a nice deep tone and no drone.

Joe

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts
Mine is a 2008
Just realized I had a typo above and corrected it. 07-10 not 09-10! The Roush Extremes will be awesome on your 08!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible
5,625 Posts
Took the same off of mine, and now have the Roush Extremes.... They are named 'Extremes' for a reason !
WoW, the perfect tone, and at WOT... there will be no sleeping of babies for a mile or two !

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts
Took the same off of mine, and now have the Roush Extremes.... They are named 'Extremes' for a reason !
WoW, the perfect tone, and at WOT... there will be no sleeping of babies for a mile or two !
Glad to hear you got them working. I never saw a resolution after your post about the hangers issue.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,060 Posts
Here's a video I did when I first put them on.

Joe

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
CORSA https://www.corsaperformance.com
HIgh Quailty Stainless and Welds and Best Sound and most important, ZERO DRONE with their Patented Tech in their Exhaust. Some samples herewith:

^^
Corsa Sports with Ford Racing M-9430-C54 2007-09 SVT Mustang Cobra Headers and JBA ORX = Stupid Loud and the Smell of the ORX gets old Fast.

^^
Modded Corsa Sports with Ford Racing M-9430-C54 2007-09 SVT Mustang Cobra Headers and 2013-14 GT500 OEM H-Pipe

^^
Corsa Extreme with Ford Racing M-9430-C54 2007-09 SVT Mustang Cobra Headers and 2013-14 OEM H-Pipe

^^
Dyno with Corsa Extreme with Ford Racing M-9430-C54 2007-09 SVT Mustang Cobra Headers and 2013-14 OEM H-Pipe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna sound a bit weird but I really don’t want to put anything Roush on a Shelby. I know it’s dumb but just a thing I have. Lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,672 Posts
Gonna sound a bit weird but I really don’t want to put anything Roush on a Shelby. I know it’s dumb but just a thing I have. Lol
I totally get it and we had a good debate here recently about Roush branded engine caps on a Shelby. While I agree with not having “Roush” prominently displayed on a Shelby (different Mustang lines), I have zero problem with their mufflers or control arms since the logos aren’t easily seen. I personally draw the line with “ROUSH” plastered on engine caps so prominently displayed under the hood though.

If it’s any consolation, Roush was instrumental in developing/testing for SVT, who made our 07+ GT500s.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The best sounding 08 exhaust IMO is the “Borla Touring and O/R h-pipe” nice when cruising and wicked deep tone when you hit the fun pedal and Zero drone.

The Borla S type is good for the 11/12 cars but drone to much on the 07-09 cars.

Colin

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
All depends on the rest of the system. If you're bone stock exhaust wise and intend to stay that way then the GT500KR mufflers are genuinely liked by almost everyone. Pair them with a cat delete pipe or headers and high flow cats though and they're usually way too loud.

This was my car with stock exhaust and the KR mufflers. Exhaust was routed out side so hard to hear the sound the best.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Later I added a a bigger blower so changed to cat delete pipes, a set of resonators, and oval mufflers from the Shelby GT.

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
282 Posts
I totally get it and we had a good debate here recently about Roush branded engine caps on a Shelby. While I agree with not having “Roush” prominently displayed on a Shelby (different Mustang lines), I have zero problem with their mufflers or control arms since the logos aren’t easily seen. I personally draw the line with “ROUSH” plastered on engine caps so prominently displayed under the hood though.

If it’s any consolation, Roush was instrumental in developing/testing for SVT, who made our 07+ GT500s.
Hey, I resemble these remarks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will have kooks LT’s , catless X and don’t know if I should delete the mufflers or not. I want that loud bark at 3k rpms but i don’t want raspy at idle or WOT

1 - 20 of 48 Posts