Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been entertaining buying a GT500 for a few months now, but there's a few things I don't quite understand. The standard GT500 has a Shelby logo on the trunk and a snake on the front grill and sides, the dealers advertise it as a Shelby product, (some of these dealers have actually told me the car is sent to Shelby in Vegas and then to them, Not SO!) but unlike my 1967 GT500, Shelby doesn't seem to have anything to do with this car. Yea, he collected a bunch of money to put his logo on it, but that is about it. Seems to be an all SVT car produced in Flint Michigan. Kind of like the BOSS CAMMER car in the 70's. This car is not touched by Shelby American at all. I know the car makes plenty of power, but what will the value of this car be in 10 or 20 years. Bottom line is, I can afford this but not a KR, and I don't have the extra money to send it to Vegas to have it warmed over by Shelby American. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's this or a Hemi Challenger SRT8. And before you all get mad at me, I am a Mustang fan at heart, I've had 8 of them over the years. Heck, it was my first car in 1966.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The current (MY'07-'09) GT500 was created via a collaboration between Carroll Shelby and Ford SVT......The Man himself, even now @ 85 years young was principal advisor on the project.

I recall it said during development of this car that an engine output of at least 450-horsepower was one of Shelby's hardware pre-requisites (a goal which was surpassed by more than 10%; the prod. version GT500 attained certified 500HP).

Besides the engine, other unique components to the GT500 include suspension, brakes, steering, transmission, interior seating, hood constructed of aluminum-- among various other body appearance enhancements and interior quality upgrades.

If you do not care to in the Super Snake post-title package but are insistent on Shelby/Las Vegas facility serving a hands-on role in the production of your car, then your best bet would be the 319 horsepower (non-sc'd) Shelby GT.

In my opinion at only $43K the GT500 looks extremely classy, also distinctive but at same time is capable of brutal acceleration and braking...it is a world-class athlete in a tailored suit..........and is just as reliable as my Nissan truck.

The only legit room-for-improvement area I can think of would be if the car had an independent rear suspension (although now @ 14,000 miles the live axle has proven plenty domesticated enough to comply with anything I've thrown at it so far, and I am still running bone stock equipment).

A full aluminum engine block for the GT500 (to save 200? lbs. would be nice also, but that would then mean the $40K Mustang GT500 was carrying essentially the same drivetrain as Ford's own $150K (2-seater) GT supercar.... blame it on market segmentation.

Dodge Challenger SRT has a couple things going for it: IRSuspension and a 3rd seating position in back seat--which only matters if you've got a bunch of kids like I do.

But the SRT is more than 200 lbs heavier than a Shelby. Also-- even with a relatively developed eye for cars..... the SRT looks exactly the same as it's lesser V-6 powered version until you are literally 20 feet away. One thing about the GT500, you can spot one coming toward you (or in rearview) from 1/4 mile away or more...that is def no ordinary Mustang.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have been entertaining buying a GT500 for a few months now, but there's a few things I don't quite understand. The standard GT500 has a Shelby logo on the trunk and a snake on the front grill and sides, the dealers advertise it as a Shelby product, (some of these dealers have actually told me the car is sent to Shelby in Vegas and then to them, Not SO!) but unlike my 1967 GT500, Shelby doesn't seem to have anything to do with this car. Yea, he collected a bunch of money to put his logo on it, but that is about it. Seems to be an all SVT car produced in Flint Michigan. Kind of like the BOSS CAMMER car in the 70's. This car is not touched by Shelby American at all. I know the car makes plenty of power, but what will the value of this car be in 10 or 20 years. Bottom line is, I can afford this but not a KR, and I don't have the extra money to send it to Vegas to have it warmed over by Shelby American. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's this or a Hemi Challenger SRT8. And before you all get mad at me, I am a Mustang fan at heart, I've had 8 of them over the years. Heck, it was my first car in 1966.
Flint michigan....
hahahahhaha... nothing is made in Flint michigan anymore, i'd be worried if it was though. Engine produced in Romeo, MI, car produced in Flat Rock, MI. Both places are top notch.

Also, if you're a mustang fan at heart, you will love this car. Go out and test drive one, you'll fall in love with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:popblood:

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
actually the Shelby GT has badges (we don't need no steenking badges), exhaust, a crappy hood scoop that had numerous failures (it warped) and some suspension components. Yes, it's a warmed over Mustang GT that's sent to Vegas to be tweaked. You can buy them all day for FAR less than MSRP. Look them up on eBay or auto trader.

As stated, the GT500 probably is the best value. You can buy them at or under MSRP.

None of them are going to be worth a ton of dough in the future. They made too many. And if you want a return on your money, don't drive it.

Personally, if I didn't need to drive my car often, I'd find a decent Shelby GT-H convertible. Those will be worth far more dough than a GT500. Very few produced. Most had the crap beat out of them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to thank everyone for the information you all provided regarding my question on this car. For the sake of power the only car I am interested in is the GT500. None of the smaller Mustangs have much appeal for me, not like the 66 GT350 did. It appears that even though Shelby doesn't really have much to do with this car, it's the most fun of the bunch to own. With that said now it's a matter of my dealer meeting my financing needs, which at the moment seems to be qiute a challenge in lite of the mess the manufacturers have gotten themselves into.
Thanks again for everyones input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
look at it this way...i fell in love with the car at launch. if that is not what happened to you, you should look elseware. The car speaks to us that truely embrase the whole mystique.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, thanks to everyone for the info you provided re my purchase plans. The pain has ended and I now have a white GT500 parked in my garage.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats TF. You made the right move. After driving Muscle cars in 60's
& 70's, never thought I would drive anything like them again. All it took
was a test drive, and I was hooked, (and they knew it). Who cares
where it's made. At least it ain't made in the Far East. Hope you enjoy
yours as much as I do mine.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts