Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for opinions. When I upgraded the alternator, I had to upgrade wiring, so I went with these kicker terminals. The Optima battery is taller than stock, so the terminal is close to the hood. Which cover do you guys like better?

Kicker style on the negative or military style on positive? Military gives me a touch more clearance.
20200103_133558.jpg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts
I like the black kicker look better versus the big red blob of plastic that doesn’t quite color match the battery.

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Both look good to me .... I would think the clearance factor would make the final decision, as battery color will change over the years and you can always paint the cover to match if necessary. The smaller kicker-style does look a bit cleaner ... do they have a red-colored one for positive ??

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,045 Posts
I would agree regarding the Kicker style. Curious how you picked your Optima battery. When I’ve gone to their website they don’t seem to have an option for the GT500. Mine’s due for a new one this year and I’d like to get an Optima. Just CCA and size?

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A long time ago UPR made a special tray for the Optima 34R. I bought it because it was a nice clean look, but it's really close to the hood. Wasn't an issue with the stock harness, but with my upgraded wiring the red kicker cap just touches the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
2010 Grabber Blue Gt500
1,350 Posts
My Elec Engr background I would go with the larger insulation, red one! It doesn't look as good, but gives more room for error, contact with ground!

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you Chuck, being in the same field is what got me messing with it. The little plastic tab on the Kicker terminals is molded around a metal stud.

I may end up switching batteries to something shorter, but I've had the Optima in since 2013, so I've been impressed. It's hard to find an AGM 40R size and the 96R doesn't quite have the CCA. Maybe I'll come up with my own tray for an Odyssey. Although back to work Monday will put a damper on my car fun...

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
A long time ago UPR made a special tray for the Optima 34R. I bought it because it was a nice clean look, but it's really close to the hood. Wasn't an issue with the stock harness, but with my upgraded wiring the red kicker cap just touches the underside of the hood.
If it's that tight, I'd go back to a factory battery. I did a little research when I replaced mine and that's what I did, for much that reason. The factory battery doesn't boast high cold cranking amps, but has been very reliable. I'd what as much insulation as I could get if I had to use that battery. If that positive terminal ever makes contact, you're going to have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reached out to Odyssey, they have a 96R size coming out in a couple months.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,671 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was all over the place shopping. I don't remember if they came in a wiring kit or from Amazon. They're Kicker BT4, same part number for + and -, comes with a black and red hold down screw. I've got my new Odyssey battery and factory tray, so I'll update this when I get a chance to install.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I've noticed is the 2010 and newer batteries have the terminals facing forward. I'm guessing Ford did that to save the $2 on extra wire length, but I might make the change too to give the wiring more room. The new battery terminals are recessed which forces me to point straight at the firewall and puts some strain on the terminal connection. Just have to get motivated to finish, but with our lovebug season, the car isn't going anywhere for a while.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I really like this set up. What did you end up doing with the inline fuses on the positive cable?
Asking due to my terminal being severely corroded.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
31,603 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@my monster the fuse is on the firewall in the first post. I haven't decided what I want to do with it if I turn the battery around yet, but I'll post a picture with my final design.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after dicking around with it for hours, I decided mashed against the firewall was best. I'll have to look closer, but the 2010+ might have a different battery tray. When I turned mine around, it made the (-) terminal wiring fight with the strut tower. Anyways, here's where I ended up, need to tidy up a bit, but wanted to get it on the charger overnight. Also, moved the fuse inline, had to modify the case, but I think I like it there better than on firewall.

20200523_003724.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Well, after dicking around with it for hours, I decided mashed against the firewall was best. I'll have to look closer, but the 2010+ might have a different battery tray. When I turned mine around, it made the (-) terminal wiring fight with the strut tower. Anyways, here's where I ended up, need to tidy up a bit, but wanted to get it on the charger overnight. Also, moved the fuse inline, had to modify the case, but I think I like it there better than on firewall.

View attachment 200683

That Odyssey battery looks pretty cool, and I like the built-in handle.

My guess is that Ford turned the battery terminal toward the front for one reason, safety. I can imagine there have been many owner and dealer service tech complaints about jumper cable/jump box contact against the firewall, hood, hood hinge, etc. especially when these cars have sat for a few weeks and the battery drains, requiring a jump start. Putting the terminals against the metal firewall does not seem like the best idea, that is just my thought.....

Those Kicker terminals look smooth and clean.....I like!

R

1 - 19 of 19 Posts