Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the positive side of battery was really corroded so i decided to take it of and clean it, so i tried to take it off but it was not budging so i got a big screwdriver and tried prying it up by resting the screwdriver on the cap and pushing up i also tried tapping it on the side, so the cable eventually came off but i could see i was lifting the terminal post when i was prying it up.

So i cleaned everything, put it all back together and now the car wont start, the headlights and interior light come on but wehn i crank it over they all just go off teh volt meter with the key on is almost on red on the negative side, the battery was charging good runing good i am wondering if i could have shorted it out or broken something by prying on the cable.

Putting on the cable after the third cleaning it did not even realy spark when putting the cable back on, and this is the original Motorcraft battery from 05.:mecry:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hey guys the positive side of battery was really corroded so i decided to take it of and clean it, so i tried to take it off but it was not budging so i got a big screwdriver and tried prying it up by resting the screwdriver on the cap and pushing up i also tried tapping it on the side, so the cable eventually came off but i could see i was lifting the terminal post when i was prying it up.

So i cleaned everything, put it all back together and now the car wont start, the headlights and interior light come on but wehn i crank it over they all just go off teh volt meter with the key on is almost on red on the negative side, the battery was charging good runing good i am wondering if i could have shorted it out or broken something by prying on the cable.

Putting on the cable after the third cleaning it did not even realy spark when putting the cable back on, and this is the original Motorcraft battery from 05.:mecry:
You may have pulled the lug loose from the lead plate, which means battery time. the reason you have lights is the voltage is there but probably wont start because of minimal amperage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might have done that i thought i heard like a cracking or popping but it might have been the screwdriver against the battery cap, i might just buy a new one anyway in the morning just to be safepulling the lug loose makes sense since it was working and charging good before oh well live and learn right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any time you have corrosion on the top of you're battery it is leaking and needs to be replaced.
Never use a screw driver and pry up on the battery post use a channel lic pliers and twist the cable gently. sometimes I use a screw driver to spread the connector where the bolt is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Learned that the hard way so i took the battery to check it out and it turns out to be a dead cell.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Agree with the never pry comment...these are cheap and work for a lot of other situations too (great for bikes and lawnmowers/tillers etc.)...they work no matter how corroded something is and they don't crack the terminal which can happen if you get too agressive prying them open. You can probably find one locally for the same or less...just a link to show an example the tool.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd202.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Twice now, after sitting around 4-5 days, the battery has been dead on my 2007. It was tested after it did it the first time and the battery checked out OK. Now it's done it again. I thought I read something in the forum about this.

This seemed as good a spot as any to ask. At least to start.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts